“Clean and comfortable airport hotel.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport
Ranked #35 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Wiltshire, UK
“Clean and comfortable airport hotel.”
Reviewed January 12, 2008

We needed somewhere inexpensive to stay in the Salt Lake City area as we made our way between Grand Teton and Great Basin National Parks. As we didn't want to get caught up with finding somewhere right in the city we opted for this hotel near to the airport. It was quite easy to find being just a short distance from the freeway. Our room was quite large with 2 double beds. There was a coffee maker in the large bathroom and an iron and ironing board in the closet. The room was clean and comfortable although there was a faint damp smell. Noise from the freeway and airport could be heard but did seem to reduce overnight so that we weren't disturbed to any great extent. The complimentary breakfast was good with a hot selection, waffles, fruit, cereals and pastries. The large light lobby was a pleasant area in which to sit and eat it. The only real downside is the lack of places to eat in the immediate vicinity. We ended up going to the deli at the back of a neighbouring office block and getting take-away burgers which were actually very good.

• Stayed September 2007
2 Thank akhmc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
San Diego
Reviewed October 25, 2007

The hotel staff were exceptional, very helpful and friendly. The complimentary continental breakfast was one of the best I ever had! There were many items to choose from and well stocked.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Not much around
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank dadell
vancouver
Reviewed September 30, 2007

arrived mid afternoon and also had to ring "the bell" to get
a person to check us in. Since I have highest reward status
I was given upgrade to a deluxe suite at no additional charge.
The suite (230) was in the southwest corner. Room itself was
very clean and not as worn as the normal rooms.Good cross ventilation from the two windows in each room opened.a large TV in each room.internet was limited to plug in only at the desk.
the cons:
the freeway noise was constant day/night.Airport noise was just
until 10-11pm. Freight train could be heard as well. Staff never left me a newspaper outside my door.
which was normal for every other guest.
hottub was ice cold as was the pool.

Some other guest left a cell phone charger in my room.It was still plugged in and the maid probably though it was part of the
desk wiring.
Toilet was very noisy flushing and we could here the elevator moving which was directly behind the king room wall.

Stayed 2 nights probably would return even with all the little
annoyances.

• Liked — 2 room suite
  • Disliked — the variety of annoying sounds/noises,it was almost comical
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank canadalady
Glasgow
Reviewed September 19, 2007

This is a nice hotel. It's not in the centre of town, but it's very easy to drive into the centre of SLC. There are also plenty of restaurants, and stores just down the freeway (within 10 minutes drive).

The staff are great - really friendly. They even organised pizza for me when I turned up at 3am, after a major flight delay!

I stayed there twice - once in a regular room and the second in the executive/deluxe room. I'd definitely opt for the latter. The internet is more reliable, tv reception is better, and there are more "in room" facilities.

I thought this was great value, and if I'm ever back in SLC, I'll stay there.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Internet access was poor
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank Tendons
new york
Reviewed September 12, 2007

first they tell you its spanish for "welcome" (or somethig close to it, then "greetings", then "dont worry about it" in regards to your toothbrush and floss and such if you run out they will provide. Yet on a rather unfortunate note, they cant provide recovery of items accidentally left/or quality efficiant customer relations at that. Its to bad, it put a damper on what was a exeptional stay at this gem of a hotel. ...
I booked this one last minute, advertised on the website at 80 a night, when I got there they kind young woman told me it was actually 90, but she lowered it to 80 for me, so kudos for her=)
True, the door entrances were at a diagonal (for rooms and bathrooms) but I found this rather nice and differant. Personally I get tired of cookie cutter. It made it feel as if it was more a apartment rather then a unit with a bed. The room was clean and well prepared.
It is also true, this hotel is kinda in the middle of nowhere, yer very close to the airport, and very close to the city, without being in the city itself. This is probably the only exception, where I would be ok with this, as if you have never been in Salt Lake, you dont know what you are missing. This city, IS the middle of nowhere; does anyone live here? Where do the people come from, and why is it so quiet. You might feel like you are missing out at the La Quinta, but just go another exit down the parkway to "downtown" and nothing has changed. You know that feeling, the sunday walk to church mode; Thats salt lake. By all means take advantage of the price and stay here. Besides, the breakfast is very gracious for typical continental motel fare. Gotta love those waffles and oatmeal. The lobby makes a nice social scene, as its open, and during breakfast hours there are plenty of tables to give it a restaurant like feel. (bet you didnt even notice the gazebo and garden, unless you found the back lobby door or went to the pool, its hidden)
Speaking of, I was able to use the pool and hot tub as they easily gave me a late checkout on request. pool/hottub= wonderfull
How such accomodating people turned the other way, im not sure. Granted, yes, leaving my cell charger in the room is my fault, though, I called the hotel an hour after checkout at the airport upon realising i did not pack it, and the guy at the front desk (who dropped me off at th eairport on the shuttle) told me he would send it back. 2 weeks later, I called to see if they sent it and someone else told me nothing was ever filed, and its an issue for room housekeeping. Upon a week or phone tag I got through to the manager who said they do returns on a once a month basis, and IF they find it, they will send. I gave up and bought another one (hey, ya learn the first time lol)
Other then poor communication and relations, this hotel is a good pick, its good value and friendly accomodating atmospheare are true to its word, "la quinta" which, upon my flight being delayed hours on end, i had enough time at the airport bookstore to look it up on websters, really is a term for a small spanish house/dwelling.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — phone tag to retrieve lost items
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank speedotorpedo
Fremont, California
Reviewed September 2, 2007

My family arrived here after a long day's journey from Lake Tahoe (on the way to Yellowstone). I try to check in, but no one is at the desk. After waiting and ringing the bell, I get someone. Not a big deal, but when I bring my family up to the room with our luggage, I am shocked at how small the room is. The bathroom and closet are at a strange diagonal to the room, and the closet is definitely smallish. The little wall shelf for the coffee pot was also small and in a awkward place; I kept feeling as if I was going to bump into it while walking into the bathroom.

The room itself was clean, and the pool area and conference areas were clean and appropriate for the size of the hotel. I did feel safe in the hotel, since it had the appropriate key slides to access areas. The lobby is very pleasantly decorated, with a fountain in the center; this is where the complimentary continental breakfast is served (waffles, anyone?).

I was annoyed by the front desk, when I tried to ask about local places to eat. Once again, no one was at the desk. When the clerk came, she was curt in telling me that either I would have to go to another hotel (but didn't name them) or go into the city (another 15 minute drive, after a day of driving). She did make one other suggestion for a smallish deli in the back of an office building next door, and whipped out a coupon for it. It was just a depressing location; my family opted for the drive into the city.

Overall, a decent hotel for one night, but not as helpful as the 2006 Tripadvisor Hotel Award would suggest.

• Liked — Cleanliness, location to highway/airport, availability of travel brochures
  • Disliked — Smallish rooms, lack of prompt desk help
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank photomom
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed August 15, 2007

Should you listen to me? What I want in a hotel is a decent price, a CLEAN room, an interested staff, and a little help here and there. Prefer a new hotel or a recently renevated one to an old one. Usually use middle of the road chains and an Omni, Sheraton, or Hilton is a bit of a treat for me.

The Good: You cannot get closer to the airport and not be at the airport. Curiously the noise I thought I would hear I did not. The rooms were clean and the breakfast was good. The shuttle was handy and the workout room was very nice.

The So-So: I stayed on the front end and the back end of a trip getting in late from a flight and leaving early. Some of the staff seemed a bit disinterested or not overly willing to help but some others were great and very helpful. Nothing fancy in the room but that is what I paid for. The bathroom was big but I didn't care for the double doors that seemed to never be completely closed.

The Bad: Hope you have a care b/c there is NOWHERE to eat. This hotel and several others are in an industrial type of area. There is a Hilton (I think it was) that was two doors down which had a really nice restaurant that was very good. The next closest place was a Perkins about a one mile walk from the hotel (food was bad there I thought). That is it. Nothing else even close. There are no gas stations close either. When I booked the room I figured that since there were about 4 other hotels there would be several restaurants to serve them - very wrong about that.

So, don't count on getting gas or a choice of food anywhere near the hotel - be mindful of that.

• Liked — Clean and good price
  • Disliked — Have to have a car to get a bite to eat - but you can walk to another hotel that has a restaurant.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends