“The manager could use a little refresher in customer service”

Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport
Ranked #15 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Camden, Delaware
“The manager could use a little refresher in customer service”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I had started my day at 8:30 central time and had made Salt Lake City my destination for that leg of my cross-country trip. I had intended to stay at a Hampton Inn a little further west but changed my mind when I realized how far of I-80 it was. I backtracked from exit 99 to exit 113 in order to stay at the next nearest Hampton Inn. At this point, I was about 13 hours into my day. When I arrived the airport Hampton Inn--exhausted and just wanting to sleep--I was greeted pleasantly but that soon changed. There was some confusion regarding a military discount that had asked for. The front desk clerk and I weren't communicating with the same language--what I call "military discount" she interpreted as "government rate." This miscommunication was further frustrating my already tired self. The front desk clerk then went and got the manager--Sunshine--who handled the rest of my transaction. She was polite, in tone, but not so in her words. I was told that they are there to serve me but not to put up with my attitude and that it wasn't her fault that I had driven for 12 hours that day. This did nothing to improve my mood. I just wanted to get my key and go to sleep. I will admit that I was a difficult customer--who wouldn't be after having to backtrack 26 miles because the other hotels down the road were sold out due to two races going on; and had to do this backtrack after so many hours of driving.
Other issues with this stay: the bathtub squeaked (the drain was not seated properly in the tub), the shower curtain was installed incorrectly (curved bars need to be installed three to four inches further inside the tub), the tile in front of the sink popped (air was obviously trapped in between the tile and the floor), and the front side of the sink counter was coming apart from the frame.
On the plus side: breakfast was excellent and the breakfast room attendant was very polite and pleasant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nichole n
IamHampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
We appreciate you sharing your experiences and opinions with us. To improve is always the goal. We have noted the items you listed in your comments that you felt needed attention in the guest room for our chief maintenance to attend to, thank you very much for that. Sunshine is our Front Office Manager and is typically outstanding with every guest literally everytime. I apologize that you did not have that same experience here. Apparently the team was taken back with the foul language and the way you and your traveling companion treated them. We love our military and do many complimentary functions to serve and give back to the troops going out and the amazing reunions when they get to come home. All we ask is to be treated with a mutual respect that isn't dependant on the sleep we or they have had or missed out on. I do hope that we can make ammends and start off on a fresh step. Today is a new day and hope that your future travels are a perfect 10 in everyway. Again we are deeply appreciative for what every member and their families do for us every single day.

Teresa Capener
801 519 6500

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pocatello, Idaho
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here while flying out of SLC. We primarily chose this Hampton because they offer a free shuttle to the airport. Also, they allow you to park your vehicle while your gone. However, upon checking in, we are told that they charge $30 to park there. And, all hotels charge that. This policy is not posted anywhere. Had we known this, we would probably have made other arrangements as the rooms were $179 per night. That is not the normal price, however the prices were inflated due to a major event in the SLC area. We booked months in advance. The rooms were very nice, the bed was nice and the shuttle got us to the airport on time. If your staying here to park, make sure you verify their policy.

Room Tip: Verify parking rates
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting the postive and not so much so...we still hear you good and bad alike. We want to be fantastic, super and a #10 all the time. I apologize for the confusion about the parking. We offer a "Stay and Fly" package that is available on our website. It allows you to include the cost of parking up to 7 nights into 1 fee. The fee is great depending on the number of nights you need to leave your car. Give a try the next go around, there are several other special deals that can be found there too. Safe travels and thanks again for sharing.
Los Angeles, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I always stay at Hampton when I can and am very sad when they are fully booked. Beds are comfy and the breakfast selection is pretty good. Tea and coffee are always available and cookies in the evening.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

IamHampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thanks for the positive comments and the time you took to post them. All of the guests that stay here can't help but wanting the Serta Dream Structure beds in their homes too. I think it is one of our big plus', you can truly get a great nights sleep with us. Thank you for choosing us when there are a million other options out there. Happy travels!
lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We booked a family room with two queen beds and a double room with a king bed. The rooms were very clean, relaxing, nice decor, location ideal for us passing through, good value for money. The rooms were spacious. Complimentary breakfast was a bonus and was of reasonable standard. I will definitely use Hampton again. The bathroom, tiled walls were spotless. Definitely better than the Manhattan East Hilton and a lot cheaper.

1 Thank Rajan A
Nice review, thank you very much. We want everyone to come and have the same stay you did. The team and I love our guests and want you to always feel at home. Our guests are very much appreciated and hope that if you are able you will come and see us again.
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Traveled to this hotel after a late night flight from east coast. Tired and hungry, we found to our disappointment that our non smoking room had been used as a giant ashtray.
Melissa at the front desk really helped us out and made us happy with an alternative room and also arranged for a rollaway bed for my 19 year old son.
We found the fitness room to be better than average and the breakfast was great.
I'd stay here again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kielar
Please let me tell you how sorry I am that we started out on a bad foot. The truth is that the room should not have been listed in the available inventory. Sad to say but there are guests that are not respectful of policies in place for the comfort of the majority. It is our job to catch those rooms before they are given to a future guests, I sincerely apologize that we missed the boat. Thank you for your other kind comments and for recognition you gave to Melissa, she is one of our super stars for sure! Safe and happy travels always.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed overnight after driving down from Yellowstone to catch a flight out of SLC. The suite was plenty big for 4 adults with an exceptionally large bathroom. The bed was super comfy and immaculate. Best of all, everyone on the staff went out of their way to help us. (Thank you, Sunshine! You are wonderful.) Highly recommended.

1 Thank Teresa B
We live for your comments! I know it must sound crazy but we never forget "YOU" are what keeps us in business. Sunshine and the team are terrific, I promise if you get a chance to visit again the same service awaits you. Glad you found the suite roomy and comfortable for all. We love having you here so keep us marked on your map of favorite places to stop for a rest if travel brings you our way again.
Melrose, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This hotel locate in easy access of I-80 which I liked a lot. It was easy to get into/out of I-80 and it was just right location to us. They had pool for children which was nice warm water and open late which was great too. Customer service was nice, friendly people who made me feel good after long drive.

2 Thank Maya S
So glad you liked our hotel and my wonderful team. They really do feel like you are a guest and act accordingly. Our pool is seasonal due to our white winters but how fun that the family got to enjoy it. Did you notice its in the shape of a heart? Well, thanks for your comments they mean everything to us. May all your travels be safe ones!