“great if you like riots”

Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport
Ranked #13 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
sydney
“great if you like riots”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

I arrived here after a long drive down from Yellowstone and had trouble finding this hotel in the dark due to the lack of freeway signage as noted by a previous reviewer. I should have just followed the flashing lights. On arrival I was greeted by half a dozen police cars blocking the entrance due to some disturbance in the hotels function area. I was unable to park due to the carpark and surrounding streets being clogged with parked vehicles presumably belonging to the function attendees and other unfortunate guests. I had to park several hundred yards away in the street and after lugging my bags to the entrance and pushing my way through a crowd of police and party goers I finally found the foyer and checked in. The room was okay but I had a poor sleep worrying if my car would be safe. The next morning I was unable to get into the breakfast room because it was full of police helping themselves to free breakfasts presumably as a thank you from the hotel for their work the night before. I then left and had to avoid beer bottles strewn all over the car park and in the gardens on the way back to my car 2 blocks away. This place needs to decide if it wants to be a hotel or a nightclub . I was really disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank markymark69Sydney
IamHampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
I want to apologize personnally for what you walked into on that Friday night. Unfortunately we are not able to predict everyones behavior however we do go to great lengths to protect all of our guests and provide a comfortable, safe stay. It has always been our policy at the hint of something going wrong to call the police, 2 cars were on property at the time of your arrival. We alway's want to put our guests and our own safety first. Never was any of our guests at risk.
Again, please accept my apology for another guests actions.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

Maybe it was because we stayed at a very nice and newer Hampton Inn in Idaho the night before, but we were very dissapointed when we checked into this hotel. The exterior looks like it has been updated, but as soon as you walk into the lobby you quickly realize that this is an older property. The carpeting throughout is drab and worn, even the luggage carts have old and worn out carpeting on them. We reluctantly checked in and rode the "one" older elevator up to the 3rd floor. Walking to our room we dodged a mattress that was being stored out in the hallway. We walked into the room, took a look around at the older style bathroom and fixtures, we asked ourselves if we really wanted to spend two nights here, and then we went down and got our money back. We then drove a couple of miles away and checked into a Hyatt Place Hotel that was about a year old and beautiful throughout, for about the same price as the dated Hampton.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by the exterior
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
IamHampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this review, June 10, 2011
It is alway's hard to hear that you have not met a potential guest's expectations, I am happy though that you cared enough to share it. We take great pride in what we do and what we offer our guests. Our hotel is a 12 year old property now and the most recent refresh took place almost 5 years ago. We are just a couple months away from another redo. I understand that you were here less than 30 minutes but in the future if you are in SLC again please come by and see how we have grown. Thank you again for taking time out of your day to post your comments on Trip Advisor.
Princeton, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2011

We stayed here two nights, before and after hiking in Arches and Canyonlands. The hotel is right near the airport, with fast van pick up and drop-off. The rooms were huge by my (East Coast) standards and extremely comfortable. The desk staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful; they were just delightful. If I could remember their names I'd mention them all.

If you are there without a car, as we were - just in and out of the airport - and need lunch or dinner, there is a Subway, and a huge food court if you turn left, and a really nice Cedar Creek Grill if you turn right - just a few minutes walk.

There are a ton of hotels at the airport, but you couldn't spend amore pleasant night than here. Oh, yes, there is a great free breakfast from 6 am.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Arches and Canyonlands have got to be some of the most breath taking places I have ever been. I hope you were able to get a lot of great pictures, Bryce is another wonderful State Park to visit for your next trip out. I am glad to get the feedback about the team here, I know they try to please everyone but it is really rewarding to hear it from our guests, that is when we can be sure that we are on the right track. We have a few eating options but to be honest the team is hoping a big hamburger place opens (the one with the golden arches) hehehe. Thank you for having chose us as a place to hang your hat for a couple days, we really do appreciate your business.
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

I have work in SLC as a consultant for two years. January of this year I decided to switch hotels to the Hampton Inn. Ms. Pamela Cook (Sales Director) has made it a point to provide a personal greeting upon check in and always makes sure my room refrigerator is always stock with cold water. She even made a special trip to the company where I'm working to provide a tray of cookies for St. Patricks Day. She is an excellent manager and gives you a sincere feeling that as a guest she will meet your every need 24 / 7. The front desk staff is exceptionally warm, friendly, courteous, and professional. The Kitty Hawk Cafe which is managed by Ms. Asley Allen (Restaurant Director / Chef) provides a very charming restaurant to wind down the day with excellent food with hhigh quality and fair prices. Although not open for lunch she never hesitates to ask me if she can provide a lunch. I have taken advantage of her generous offer. In my position this saves me a great deal of time which is very important. My room is great and I have stay in several different rooms during my trips here, always very clean and well prepare. It's truly my home away home.

Room Tip: Personal preference are the rooms on the lobby l;
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Alex201123322
IamHampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Alex, Thank You for your glowing comments about Pamela our Director of Sales and Ashley who alway's gives wonderful service in our restaurant and lounge the Kitty Hawk. We can not express how much the entire team has enjoyed having you join our Hampton family. It is a pleasure knowing that we are not only meeting but exceeding your needs and expectations however that also is a call to action for all of us to keep on our toes to contnue to deliver wonderful service. It is always our goal to have each and every guest feel as welcomed as you do. Thank you Alex for being so kind to take the time and make such a wonderful report of your experiences here.
We really do enjoy having you here.
Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

When we fly from Alaska to the east coast, we usually have to overnight somewhere. In the past we have stayed in Seattle, but this last trip I tried breaking up the long flight by staying in Salt Lake City, then catching my connection to Baltimore. What a great idea! The Hampton Inn & Suites at the SLC Airport was ideal. Friendly and courteous staff; large, comfortable and quiet rooms; very comfortable bed; and a great breakfast included! They are close to the airport with regular shuttles which seem to be driven by the hotel front desk staff, so no surly drivers to deal with - just professional, friendly people. Free internet, nice bathrooms, good cafe for a simple dinner - I will stay there again on my next trip across country!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank AlaskaTraveler52
IamHampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this review, April 25, 2011
How wonderful of you to take the time to make such a nice posting about your stay here! We actually all remember you and what a terrrific guest you are to have. Sounds like we enjoyed having you here as much as you enjoyed being here. You are right in that we run a tight operation and we all pitch in and do whatever a guest may need without regard to what our official title and the duties that go with it might be. We are a great team here and we all take such pride in what we do. We hope the last leg of your trip home to Baltimore was a safe one and look forward to seeing you on your next trip out to Alaska. Just think of us as your home away from home!
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

The Hampton Inn & Suites is a nice comfortable hotel close to the airport. It doesn't have anything much nearby, except for a gas station (with a convenience store) and a subway and a couple of grills & restaurants. Recommended for business travelers but not for families with small children, who should prefer something closer to downtown. Staff is courteous and helpful. Breakfast though a bit repetitive, is sumptuous. Nice views of the mountains from the 3rd floor.

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Rishiology
Thank you for taking the time to post your preceptions of our hotel and team. We are happy to know that your stay meet all your needs and that the team did a good job taking care of you. We hope that if you have the chance to visit SLC in the future you will think of us.
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

This is a typical Hampton Inn: clean, friendly, great beds. My only complaint was that I paid more for this hotel than any other Hampton Inn stay. I was unable to have breakfast (had to leave for the airport too early), but I am sure it was great. The dining area looked fantastic.

While I can understand why most Hamptons start serving after 6, I think the ones near the airports should start at 5. As a Hilton Honors member, I would love to see that since I always stay at Hamptons.

I would certainly stay here again and recommend it to anyone who needs a hotel near the airport. Clean, quiet, inviting . . .

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
IamHampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Salt Lake City Airport, responded to this review, March 18, 2011
Your idea of an earlier breakfast is a great idea. I appreciate the feedback so much that now I will carry the suggestion to Hilton. We all live and die by the "brand standards" and this is one that they may just want to implement. Thanks for the compliments, I think the brand it self just attracts great guests and great teams that thrive on giving great service. I'm glad you were here to experience our hospitality!