“Great value”

Residence Inn Salt Lake City Downtown
Ranked #40 of 76 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Residence Inn salt lake city City Center was a nice place for my 1 night stay. Room was clean and comfortable. Free continental breakfast was a plus, as was free in room wifi. Located about 4 blocks from the amtrak station was great for me, also it is located about 4 blocks from downtown SLC. Would definitely stay there again if in Salt Lake City.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve32123

Reviewed May 9, 2009

I stayed here for a week while my son was having heart surgery at the children's hospital. They did offer a medical rate, which was great- however, the service that we experienced there was awful!

Every morning we took COLD showers! Between 9-10:30 you can bet on taking a cold shower! (We stayed in building 2..it could be different in the main building.)

Cleaning service would knock on our door to clean our room at 9. We would still be getting ready so we asked them to come back an hour later. 4 times during our stay they did not come back till 4:30PM...and we had to CALL and ask for them to come clean our room!

Lastly, I had left a drawer full of some clothing. I had called the hotel and they said housekeeping had found my items and that they would ship it to me. Of course, their staff kept what items they wanted, and I only got half of my stuff back. Their housekeeping staff is obviously dishonest, and I hate to think of what other items they have stolen from other guests.

I will never stay here again, nor will I ever recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank ch4ttyc4thy
Reviewed May 1, 2009

We stayed in 2-bedroom suites for three nights. Quite spacious, well furnished, equipped with everything we need. Overall the staff are nice and kind, offering help when asked. Just a couple of things annoyed us.

When my husband called to say the hotwater was getting very cold in the bathroom, someone at the front desk said you have another bathroom(which was also lacking hotwater by the time we called). And the maintenance guy was coming up to check the facility at 7o'clock next morning, they said. Because we were after the hard days of the tour we looked forward to having a hot bath and long sleep, it's a bit disappointing.

It turned out from the person who checked our room that we used the bath at the same time, which was the reason of the cold shower. It's due to our cultural difference, as the tank doesn't hold enough hot water for the two bathrooms. I can't complain about it. Because I asked if it's possible to change rooms, they offered it, but it's too late as we don't want to pack things to move.

The maps given at the front desk were bit out of date, like 2006, but still helpful. Maybe not so many customers ask directions to walk around the city. Usually people drive here.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2009

A number of positive reviews, interesting. I’ve been travelling to Salt Lake for 10+ years and stayed here about 120 nights. I can tell you that Building 2 is much more quiet than the main building. Also, over the years the night staff has been somewhat clueless. There are certain rooms in the main building close to some kind of recirculation pump which runs all night. Also, if you can’t get in building 2 ask for a room not facing the road. It gets very noisy in the morning. In the summer the air conditioners are located on the deck outside the room so it can get very noisy at it cycles on and off. Yes, I’m a light sleeper. Again, building 2, 3rd floor is best. Ooops. I gave away me secret.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 9, 2009

I had the good fortune of staying at this property last month for my birthday. I had a one-bedroom that was clean, spacious, comfortable , quiet, and had everything I was looking for! I also enjoyed the non-smoking atmosphere. I liked that the room was set up like an apartment with the bedroom seperate from the living room and kitchen.

Upon check-in, I was greeted by big smiles and friendly service. The front desk associate who assisted me the most, Kiley, was soo accommodating! I asked directions for fun spots in Salt Lake City. He was able to give printed directions and maps to restaurants, movie theaters, a nearby mall, and a local grocery store. There were even clubs/bars close to the hotel.

I was able to park in the parking garage below the main building which kept my car out of the weather! Parking was free of charge, so this really impressed me! Usually at a nice hotel, you have to pay $10+ to park on their property.

I noticed they had onsite security, which was comforting, as security isn't available at all hotels.

My room was in the quiet annex building. I had a chance to use their 24-hour gym as well. A hot breakfast was included with my stay. I'll definitely stay again!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Kiwi1928
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Word of warning - do not stay in this hotel. The two times I have stayed at this hotel, the rooms have been less than tidy and I have had items taken from my room. The first time in Aug of 08, I had a 6 pack of water bottles taken from my room – when I requested that they be replaced; management asked me to “prove it” ???

The second time I stayed here in November of 08, I walked into a room, which still had excrement in the toilet bowl. I called the front desk, and was told, “Just flush the toilet-but we will send some one in the morning.”

Perhaps, I am OCD, but I asked to be check out of the hotel and refunded my room rate – neither request was granted. I have been in a dispute with the hotel since, but I can assure you that my money has not been refunded.

I understand that Marriott overall does a good job at their hotels and employees. However, The Residence Inn Salt Lake City – City Center is one of the worst ones I have stayed. It is a shame that a nice property is disparaged by the quality of their management.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Howdy123
Reviewed June 28, 2008

Prior to checking in at the Residence Inn, I had requested (on the hotel website) an early check-in and a room on a higher floor. We didn't get the room on a higher floor, but the room we did receive was well worth it. For some reason, we were upgraded to a two-bedroom suite with two bathrooms, kitchen (full-sized refrigerator/freezer), and a washer/dryer. This suite was nicely furnished, spotlessly clean, and quite large. The washer and dryer were a welcome convenience as we were moving on to Moab after two days and were able to wash clothes for the rest of the trip.

We did use the swimming pool, which although small, was quite sufficient for the amount of people who utilized the pool. It is practical for small children--the deepest part is 5 feet and it's in the middle of the pool. Each end of the pool starts at 3 feet and gradually deepens to the 5-foot middle. Towels are supplied at the pool, and when the supply ran low, it was promptly replenished. There are two fitness rooms, which appeared to be more than adequate. The breakfast buffet was reliable Residence Inn fare--hot eggs, sausage, potatoes, waffles (make your own), cereal, fruit, yogurt, etc.--and was very tasty and more than any person would require.

The Residence Inn is located in the heart of downtown; there is quite a bit within walking distance, if you know which way to walk. The Gateway, an outdoor contemporary mall with lots of restaurants, is only a short stroll from the hotel, and Temple Square is a photo must. For outdoor enthusiasts, Salt Lake City has plenty of opportunities--for an easy walk/hike with a view of the city, visit Ensign Peak (I hear sunset is the prime time to go) and if you don't mind driving 40 miles, you must visit Timpanogos Cave (but get your tickets ahead of time--it gets very crowded. You can even call and reserve your tickets over the phone.).

Residence Inns have proven to be reliable hotels for us; this particular one met and exceeded our expectations. If you don't need the "spa experience" and would like a clean, sensible, and roomy place to stay, choose the Residence Inn Salt Lake City/City Center.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple