“Great Hotel in spite of renovation work.”

Residence Inn Salt Lake City Downtown
Ranked #40 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Golden Valley, Minnesota, United States
“Great Hotel in spite of renovation work.”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We had a very pleasant stay. The renovations didn't really affect us. We had a one bedroom suite, which was nice because my husband likes to get up early and start working on things, and he could go in the other room and close the door. The included breakfasts and bbq dinner on Thursday were very helpful to our food budget! And very nice as well. PF Chang and Macaroni Grill are nearby. The hotel was clean, the staff were friendly and the internet worked great for us - and included in the rate! We arrived on New Year's Day, so the lobby was still festively decorated, which was fun.

Room Tip: I think I would get a room in the main building, which is what we had.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jared S, General Manager at Residence Inn Salt Lake City Downtown, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Barbara V -

I am thrilled that our hotel met, and hopefully exceeded, your needs. Thank you for sharing. I also enjoy our holiday decor, and miss it when it comes down.

Please some and see us when you're in Salt Lake City again!

All the Best -
Jared

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Utah
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I had an excellent experience the whole way round! The girl that checked me in was informative, helpful, and friendly :) I've stayed at this hotel over the last 8yrs and again had the chance to again enjoy my room in the second building. Though there are renovations going on, it impacted my stay minimally. I had a remodeled/renovated room so everything was fresh and new. The bed was better than the one at home, the room was quiet, the TVs were large and the desk in my bedroom was put to good use. I had no problems whatsoever. Staff was excellent as per usual. Breakfast delicious and with many choices. I can't wait until all the work has been completed on their hotel! I will come back again and again...as long as they have me ;)

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Kiwi1928
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Reasonably good place to stay. The included Breakfast was much better than I expected!! The room was clean - I was traveling with a teenager, so I booked a 2 room suite for $229 and it was well worth it. Nice to have the space. It is about a mile walk to the Temple Square or City Creek Mall which is really nice and worth a visit. Good local restaurants - PF Chang is up the block. Toasters - lunch place - is a couple blocks away. Benihana is a half mile, Blue Iguana (mexican) is a half mile away. We walked everywhere, but you can get a taxi.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I've been a fan of Residence for a long time. However this stay was a huge disappointment. I arrived sick and exhausted. There was no dish soap. The refrigerator was broken, the safe didn't work, the dishwasher sounded like a jackhammer, and worst of all there was no hot water, so I got to take an ice water shower, which didn't help my illness any. I checked out as soon as possible.

On the positive side, the staff was generally friendly, the hotel offered a discount for my very unpleasant experience, and apparently they are renovating or plan to renovate the hotel soon. However, until renovations are complete, I'd avoid this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn over the Christmas holiday during a trip to Salt Lake City for a skiing trip. We were placed in a room in a secondary building that was being remodeled. There was dust, noise, and weird smells associated with the remodeling project. The first morning we woke up to find that our room had very little hot water, insufficient for even a single short shower. We called the front desk and they sent somebody to the room to investigate. The man checked the water heater and said that it was old and there wasn't anything he could do to fix it without replacing it. They moved us to a second room, which thankfully had hot water. The internet speed was pathetic. I ran an internet speed test several times and the fastest speed encountered was only 270 kbps. The cleanliness of the common areas is very poor not only because of the remodeling but in general. The parking lot was poorly cleared of snow and ice and there was a lot of litter and garbage in the 'courtyard'.

I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Demand a room in the main building, perhaps it would be better.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Good Afternoon Heartmountain -

Thank you for taking time to share your experience and concerns. While we strive to offer the exceptional products and services that you have come to expect at Marriott, we fell short of that goal during your stay. I am sincerely sorry for that.

We constantly monitor water heater performance, and work to stay ahead of them. When a water heater does stop working correctly, we hurry to repair or replace. I recognize the inconvenience that the water heater failure caused you. I also appreciate your feedback regarding cleanliness, and have reviewed your comments in our staff meeting.

We have made great progress on the renovation since December. I would love to welcome you back to the hotel as renovation wraps-up.

Hoping for a second chance.

- Jared
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I will go straight to what went wrong:
1) The building 2 where we slept was in the middle of remodeling and refreshing work with a lot of construction tools everywhere, I had to watch my kids to avoid accident. Plus it was dusty and noisy.
2) The breakfast room is clearly undersized for the crowd of December plus most of the food was not available after 9 oclock or you have to queue 20 minutes to get a waffle...
3) Gym was moved to another room because of the work of remodeling, but no one reconnected the treadmills so it was out of order.

Room Tip: Ask a room in the main building
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

NJ
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Great location, great staff, in process of being remodeled so be forewarned.. My room in building #2 was just completed and was spotless..Im OCD so when I say it was spotless it was..My only complaint was the management could have done a better job of making sure the construction crews after finishing for the day cleaned up better than they did. The halls and elevators were not cleaned every day, and they should have been.. Mgr there was a huge help in getting me in the perfect room as I was there for an extended period of time. The rooms are very spacious. I have stayed there 3 times total. I would highly recommend..

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business