New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Salt Lake City South

Fairfield Inn & Suites Salt Lake City South
Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in Salt Lake City
Scottsdale, Arizona
“The renovation was a huge improvement, but still needs more”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This property was recently renovated, with some good and some bad changes. One thing that couldn't change was the location, which I find pretty convenient to most parts of the city. It is a little noisy if you are on the south side, but really not too bad

The Good: The best thing about the new rooms was the amount, and placement of the electrical outlets. It is obvious that someone took the time to think through the number of gadgets all business travelers have, and how they are used. Good for you Fairfield. Overall the appointments were very nice. The colors were well done and the rooms felt more homey. The work area is functional, and I really like the roll out desktop. You can move it to any part of the room to work. The desk chair is comfortable for long periods of time.

The Bad: The heating units should have been replaced. I know that this was probably not cost effective, but these old units require the fan to be on at all times. Even on low, the fan is very loud, and it never turns off. They are the reason that I will choose another property in SLC in the future.

This is a ticky tacky thing, but there was only one wastebasket in the entire room, including the bath. Really?

I was hoping that property would upgrade their towels, but unfortunately, no. The towels are paper thin. A long time ago I learned that more often than not, saving a penny costs you two. I used, and had washed at least double the number of towels that I would use in other properties. Which means washing twice as many towels (cha ching) and not to mention that because the towels are washed more often, they wear out much more quickly. Cha Ching, Cha Ching. Ridiculous. Spend more money on quality towels. It will cost you less in the long run.

The breakfast is still substandard for like quality properties (Hampton Inn, etc), although the breakfast sandwiches are pretty good. You do need more condiments, however, as they do lack any level of spice, so need some help.

The worst part, however, is the upright casual chair. Photo attached. After a long day of sales calls, conference calls are returning emails, I like to sit and watch the tube, or read in a comfortable chair. This chair could not be less conducive to relaxation. No recliner. Straight up and down. I am sure the chair is made of quality materials, but it is plain uncomfortable. I resorted to sitting in the office chair to eat my dinner and watch TV. Bad, bad, bad.

Room Tip: stay towards the north end, which is away from 4500 south
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank KLPhillips
Mackenzie W, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Salt Lake City South, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your review and the honest feedback as we can't improve without comments from guests like you. I'm happy to hear that you are pleased with our renovation, it was a big undertaking but well worth it for our guests to be able to enjoy the finished product. I have taken your concerns seriously and my staff and I are currently working on solutions. I am happy to report progress has already been made. The trash cans have been ordered. A new and improved breakfast is being rolled out at all Fairfield Inns in the coming weeks and we are reviewing our towel options. We understand your concern with the fan in your room and we plan to work with the manufacturer to find an acceptable solution.

Again, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and we hope you will consider us in your future travel plans.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I recently spent 3 nights at the Fairfield Inn at 594 West 4500 South as part of a business trip. While the property is just off the interstate and appears to be situated in a light commercial zone, the location is relatively convenient to the downtown area and several local shopping areas. Salt Lake City is not hard to navigate and you can get pretty much anywhere you need to be in about 25 minutes. Recent renovations at the hotel resulted in a modern, clean lobby and rooms that appear more expensive than the booking rate. A large seating area, desk, and mini fridge with microwave are great amenities when you have to spend hours in your room working. The Internet connection was reliable and fast. Room noise, even with a room facing the main road, was never an issue. I was concerned about the flood light outside my window, but the drapes and position of the bed in the room prevented the need for sunglasses at night.

Why not 5 stars instead of 4? The first night, the TV in the work area was out of service due to an issue with the Comcast connection. Also, the towels were paper thin. I could have just gotten a bad rotation, but it's time to upgrade those, too.

Room Tip: Not a big hotel, so there shouldn't be an issue with any particular room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Muttley1975
Murray, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Here on business for 3 months. The front desk associate Brittney is Awesome! Really knows how to treat guests that are here for extended time. The rooms are really clean and Housekeeping is great about special requests. In a good area (real close to my job) about 15 mins away from many restuarants. The hotel has just been fully remodeled the pool and Hottub are real nice and heated :) Excellent Hotel Choice! The beds are the most comfortable beds I've slept on in a Long time. If I ever make my way back to Salt Lake, Fairfield Inn Salt Lake citysouth would definatly be my 1st choice!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel has been recently remodeled and the rooms and lobby are great... I did have a couple issues that were resolved while there. The coffee machine in the lobby didn't work for a couple days but that was fixed.... Also, the hotel did not have humidifiers even though they are in a dry area... I found one at Walgreen for $15. The hotel was close to work and a short drive to downtown.

• Stayed January 2013
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed here a week. Hotel is off beaten path to anything. Thought it would be closer to my business meetings but I recommend staying somewhere closer or in Downtown as it appears anything nice will be downtown area.

Room Tip: Cheap location but better off paying a few more bucks closer to downtown
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Englewood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

As I have come to expect with most Marriott properties, this one was very clean and comfortable. After an initial mixup with the room (they sent me to an occupied room), the staff went out of their way to ensure my stay was comfortable and quite pleasant. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
knoxville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at the fairfield inn 2 friday nights in a row while exploring Utah on our annual motorcycle trip. We were 3 couples the first friday night and could not have been more pleased with our choice of this hotel. Ed WAS FANTASTIC, as wal all the staff, but Ed was friendly and so helpful, helping us decide on restaurant and directing us to to some nearby businesses. He was engaging and even took the time to take our group picture as we departed on our bike trip. 2 couples decided to stay there the following Friday night and experienced the same great service. The rooms are very nice, clean and updated. If you wanted to use the pool, you would have been disappointed as it is being redone, but this was not an issue for us. Staying at the Fairfield inn South started and ended our vacation on a nice note.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple