“Weeds and flies”

and up
Great Salt Lake Tour by Bus
Ranked #16 of 166 things to do in Salt Lake City
More attraction details
Owner description: This 20,000 square mile lake, the second saltiest in the world, is also a wildlife refuge attracting millions of migratory birds every year to the ten islands within it.
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The great Salt Lake has seen better days. It is not as saline as it used to be, so you don't float anymore. The "beaches" are sprinkled with toe-prikling weeds and pesky sand-flies. It does have a marina, but you can't rent boats there although privately owned sailboats are numerous.

3  Thank TravelingGianelos

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Utah is a gorgeous place to visit. It has everything you would want and especially beautiful mountains. I really think you get more out of your life by living in an area like this. You can ski, hunt, hike, or enjoy a big city atmosphere. Fun visiting the former Olympic Village near Salt Lake.

2  Thank Karenalsbury
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was born and raised in Hawaii, so to find a body of salt water here in Utah is oddity for me. I felt I was back in Hawaii. There's salt beds all over the place and seagulls, too. The islands throughout the lake reminded me of Lahaina, Maui. This is a great place to visit whenever I'm missing Hawaii.

3  Thank Rose H
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Going to the Great Salt Lake off of 1-80 near Saltair is not worth it, but taking the unpaved road out near Golden Spike State Park to the Spiral Jetty is a site to behold. Such a great mix of man-made art and God-made beauty.

1  Thank petta76
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Once you get passed those two things, its enjoyable. I never seen so many gnats in one place as I did at this lake. Also, be careful if you are trying to look for the lake on GPS, it's not on the map and it will led you to some place else. The only reason why I found it was by accident. Despite all of that, I took some really good pictures of the sunset.

2  Thank Benita M