“Spiral Jetty”

$69.00*
Kennecott Copper Mine and Great Salt Lake Tour from Salt Lake City
Ranked #19 of 161 things to do in Salt Lake City
More attraction details
Owner description: This 20,000 square mile lake, the second saltiest in the world, is also a wildlife refuge attracting millions of migratory birds every year to the ten islands within it.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Going to the Great Salt Lake off of 1-80 near Saltair is not worth it, but taking the unpaved road out near Golden Spike State Park to the Spiral Jetty is a site to behold. Such a great mix of man-made art and God-made beauty.

1  Thank petta76
There are newer reviews for Great Salt Lake

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Once you get passed those two things, its enjoyable. I never seen so many gnats in one place as I did at this lake. Also, be careful if you are trying to look for the lake on GPS, it's not on the map and it will led you to some place else. The only reason why I found it was by accident. Despite all of that, I took some really good pictures of the sunset.

2  Thank Benita M
Reviewed October 2, 2012

It may have improved since out last visit, but when we went it was pretty gross. The whole area smelled disgusting and there were so many flies they looked like rocks covering the ground. It was impossible to walk into the water without stepping over swarms and swarms of flies. Once you got past that and into the water a ways, it was actually nice but braving the way out into the water over the slippery rocks and gross flies was only somewhat worth it.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband visited the great salt lake many years ago, and he wanted to share the experience with me on our recent trip out West. We drove to Saltair State Park, which turned out to be closed. We drove to a nearby marina to change into our swimsuits and drove back to the beach. The Parking lot was roped off, so we parked on the road and began the trek across the beach, the most outstanding feature of which is an old abandoned pavilion -- that and the carcasses of many dead, decomposing birds. The stench is overwhelming, and after walking for several hundred yards we dipped our toes, and only our toes, into the chilly water before beating a hasty retreat back to our car.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

The State needs to clean it up and make it a place to go. Everyone Tourist) I have talked to, has said how awful the Great Salt Lake was. The dog won't even get in the water.
Bring back the Great Salt Lake that my Grandparents told me of in the 1940's and 1950's. When it was a place to go for the Family during the day and a night out for dancing and entertainment at night.

2  Thank Teekya