Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Book in advance
from
$69.98
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Family History Library
from $69.99
More Info
from $14.99
More Info
1,421 results
All reviews volunteer staff family search first floor mormon church temple square genealogy ancestors computers record microfilm information relatives database mecca technology slc
Selected filters
Reviewed September 16, 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed recent visit to family history center. Learnea lot about ancestors and who I'm related to. Also learned about where my ancestry comes from without giving DNA. Great experience. Highly recommend a visit here

Reviewed September 14, 2017

My mother began researching family ancestry long before information was readily available online. She visited cemeteries in Upper Michigan and wrote to distant relatives all over the US, Canada and Finland for info. Mom had hoped to visit Salt Lake City and utilize the services at the Family History Library. Instead she traveled to Finland to visit cemeteries and local churches, where only partial records are available. She spent a full day researching family history at a records center in one of Finland's major cities, with limited success.

Mom will never get to Salt Lake City, so I visited in her memory. I was amazed at the facts provided by Elder Luckau about the genealogy center. This facility is home to the largest, most comprehensive accumulation of ancestry records anywhere in the world. Two full floors are dedicated to US and Canadian ancestry, and the library houses over 150 BILLION ancestry records.

I was impressed that the very knowledgeable volunteer staff here will provide technical assistance at no charge to visitors seeking information about their heritage. Mom had to pay $20 per hour for assistance in Finland a dozen years ago. If you want to research genealogy info via ancestry.com, you pay a significant monthly membership fee. The LDS Family History Center makes research convenient, by staying open until 9:00 pm Tuesday through Saturday.

If I was visiting Salt Lake City longer, I'd have enjoyed fishing for records about my family. I've been documenting via the ancestry website for half a dozen years, but it would be interesting to see how the Family History Library compares to statistics I've accumulated.

I asked Elder Luckau why the LDS Church made ancestry such an important mission. He explained that it's because family is of utmost importance to the church. "Knowing where we came from helps us understand who we are."

4  Thank FancyFree55
Reviewed September 14, 2017 via mobile

Went here on a Wednesday afternoon and were very impressed by the setup, resources, and support you get in this place, and all for free!

Reviewed September 14, 2017

If you've ever wondered about your ancestors and family history this is the place to begin. There are resources of many levels to help you learn about those people who made you who you are. The interactive exhibits are fun, simple, entertaining, easy to operate and informative. If you want more specific information, there are many helpful volunteers to show you research techniques which will open the vast libraries of genealogical information. It is an intriguing adventure to learn about your ancestors and there is no better place to begin than at this Family History Library

Reviewed September 13, 2017 via mobile

There really isn't much to do without signing up to be a member and of course fees come along with that. They try to have a few things for you to look at as a non member but essentially is a waste of time. Look for a review from members, they might of had a more positive experience.

Date of experience: August 2017