“Husband found so much!”

Family History Library
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Family History Library has the largest collection of genealogical information in one place. The focus of the Family History Library is to help guests make personal family discoveries.
Reviewed July 13, 2014

A staff member sits with you and guides you in finding your ancestry. My husband is elated. He found so many relatives and he's the last of his line. Now if I can get him off the computer . . .

Reviewed July 6, 2014

The Library is AMAZING! Bunches of computers on every floor. When I had a problem at the PC, and turned around for some help, there was someone right there, one of the volunteers, who helped me find what I needed.

Definitely take the Orientation if it is your first time! Well worth the time spent to learn what resources are there and how to find them.

Suggestion - before you go, prepare yourself. Identify what family members you want to research; what documents you are seeking; what family history question(s) you are trying to solve. Take copies of documents or info you already have related to these issues. This will help you focus and really take advantage of your time at the Library.

2  Thank Yamco
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I was starting on my family history and heard the Family History Library had a lot of information. I was amazed to see just how much information they have stored there! There are 2 floors dedicated to the U.S., 1 floor for British Isles, and 1 floor for other countries. They have many volunteers who are very patient and helpful (even to the most novice researcher). I'd definitely recommend going here if you are interested in genealogy.

2  Thank JoAnne M
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This was lots of fun, especially since it was hot outside. We are fairly experienced with genealogical research and very experienced computer users. While the people that volunteer to help there are nice, they mostly don't know very much and they are really slow on the keyboard.

1  Thank Robert V
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I saw this years ago on another trip to salt lake and I could find no genealogical history on my family. I was very disappointed because I had been looking forward to this service. I didn't even bother to go back and see it on this trip because I had been so disappointed on my last trip. People rave about this but to me it was sadly lacking.