“Well worth the trip for geneology research!”

Family History Library
Book In Advance
More Info
$35.00*
and up
Salt Lake City Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Family History Library has the largest collection of genealogical information in one place. The focus of the Family History Library is to help guests make personal family discoveries.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The research center is located next to the Mormon History Museum and behind the Tabernacle in Temple Square. Most everything is conveniently located in central Salt Lake City (SLC) and quite walkable.
I just began to research my family history and decided to take a trip to SLC to find records from Ireland and Germany, (my husband was looking for Swedish relatives). The sisters and brothers who volunteer their time to assist people in their research are not only very helpful but many of them speak the language of the country and region for which you are searching. I learned how to comb through microfilm, birth and death records, census records and cemetery records. The more I dug in the more I wanted to find to complete the information I had. One brother became so engrossed in my quest that he took time to do some research on his own for me and printed some amazing photographs of family members that I did not know were part of my tree.
I ended up spending the better part of four days in the library with a few breaks to walk the salt flats, hear the organ recital, tour the Bee Hive, and eat at the Lion House. I am so grateful to the brothers and sisters who helped this non-Mormon find her roots.

1  Thank Kelleygirl2

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I always thought this place was just for mormons. i'm a catholic from Philadelphia. I stopped in here just to browse around but I found tons of records for my family and now I'm hooked. I highly recommend this place to anybody who is curious about their family history.

1  Thank Godby
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The staff (sisters and brothers) were very helpful in navigating us through our family history. One sister even logged on to her Ancestry.com account to find more information for us. We were in the library for two hours . We were never preached to and we appreciated all the time that was given to us. All the buildings in the complex were rich with history of these pioneer people.

1  Thank traveler33951
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Love researching my genealogy here!! I found an old marriage document from Bohemia that I was unable to read. They actually had someone translate it for me - very cool!

1  Thank spinpygora
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This is just an incredible place for researchers. The facility is amazing and everyone there is SO helpful and kind. I was there every day for over a week and they were so hospitable and helpful....I can't wait to go back !

2  Thank kcarbfaith