“Tired, worn, noisy, overpriced and to be avoided.”
Review of Riviera Inn

Riviera Inn
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Port Angeles
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

For some reason, hotels in PA are very expensive. In a vain attempt to avoid being ripped off we took the cheap road and went for the "Naugahyde special" that is the Riviera. They advertised rooms on the net for $70 but, even though the place was 90% empty, the lady on reception claimed that these rooms had gone and wouldn't budge from $79. More fool us for agreeing to such outrageousness.

Beyond this, there's not much to add to the summary above. Just what you'd expect from a low end old motel - except the price. Anywhere else $40-50 would be a rip-off.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Martin_Victoria
There are newer reviews for Riviera Inn

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is a pretty typical 1950s motel. It;s clean, the staff is okay, the rooms are okay, the bed was okay, but it did have alot of road noise. It's pretty convienent to downtown and the ferry, although not within easy walking distance. The price was very typical for this kind of hotel, but seemed alittle high for PA. I guess it's a pretty good value but don't expect much luxury.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Motel on "main drag" as they all were. Beautifully kept surroundings and a clean maintained room. For the unusually warm weather, they provided a fan in room. Freshly painted and nice check in process. Double bed rooms were quiet at night. Thank you so much.

Room Tip: Get one up from road, it is a main drag after all. City is full of one way highway roads through tow...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank atozonabudget
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Almost hate to post this since the staff was courteous, but important to share the experience for others to avoid disappointment. Unsavory location (too far from "downtown" - Red Lion was the most convenient location we noted after a LONG walk), dark, dank rooms with extremely outdated decor and no real amenities to speak of. Smelly also...from very strong curry smell upon check in, then around 5ish the horrible overall area smell of what we surmised (after a Google search) to be the Pt. Townsend paper mill odor carrying over to Pt. Angeles. Horrible stink (rotten eggs)!! No A/C, so we relied on a small oscillating fan to keep cool and get air circulating. Also- the exterior was littered with garden / vegetables similar to a home's backyard. Misc pots and buckets with mystery plants. Very unprofessional looking. Spend your money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't spend your money here...at least get closer to town.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jillianberrios
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We arrived after driving from Portland to explore Olympic national park a bit. We did not have prior reservations but were greeted by friendly voices on the phone and was able to reserve a queen room on an apparently busy night in Port Angeles with the marathon going on, so rooms were at a premium (apparently). Everyone else was charging upwards of $90 and up while the place with very good reviews here was up for $70 for a queen ($90 for a king)?! How would we pass it up?!

In hindsight, we should have. While I appreciate those whose has written their reviews here, they are overly "glowy" on the rooms - I guess if details are left out i gives a whole different view.

So here are the good:
Close to downtown and right on highway, cheaper than everywhere else, and the rooms and linens are really quite clean as the reviewers have stated. The location is safe and despite its location close to the highway, fairly quiet with the traffic noise. A tabletop oscillating fan is provided to keep the air moving. Nice flat screen TV placed on a low set of drawers is hardly viewable while laying in bed and needed to be elevated. There is a small microwave and cube refrigerator provided but are placed on the floor so access is rather difficult.

Here are the not so good details:
The bed is very firm as are the pillows (some people like this....just not my preference). The shower is very small (a 3 foot by 3 foot cubicle) and doesn't drain completely as the drain cover was installed on top of the shower floor. There is no hair dryer, and outlets are sparse. You can hear every shower and toilet from around your room being used and voices travel easily from room to room it seems. Some nitpicky stuff - the microwave is wayyy dated (the once white door is yellow) and missing a knob, the decor is from the mid 80s-ish, and the veneer on some furniture is being held on by scotch tape. If you forget your towel before you get in the shower, well you'll be walking wet to get it. In all, the Riviera Inn is in need of a substantial renovation.

To be honest, if you need a place to lay your head it's fine. The price we paid was too high given the quality of room (we paid more here than at a name brand near Portland which was an excellent value). We will probably not be staying here again if we visit Port Angeles.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I have been working a PRN job at the local Hospital, driving in from out-of-town for two days/week for the past few months. Riviera Inn Motel has been my "home-away-from-home" during this time. While it is a pretty typical little motel for the area, the things that make it stand out for me are: the rooms are always CLEAN; I have always felt safe there; and the people who manage the hotel are very wonderful and accommodating. You can tell that they care about you, and want to make your stay comfortable. Since they knew I would be staying with them a few nights every week, they were willing to give me a lower rate. The rooms have a small refrigerator and microwave, which has been very helpful for meals, without having to eat out at a restaurant all the time. The TVs have been upgraded; and they have free WI-FI. While there has been no breakfasts during the time I've been staying with them (off-season) - that was not a problem for me, as I usually ate at the Hospital's cafeteria (where the food is delicious - they have chefs!!).
This is somewhere I will continue to return to anytime I need to stay in Port Angeles!!! Highly recommend!!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stay overnight in Port Angeles 2-3 times a year, and always stay here, and always will!

It has everything I need in a hotel room:

#1 - CLEAN!! The room is always clean, meaning dusted, vacuumed, sparkling clean bathroom--even the corners are clean! (I can't even tell you how much that means to me, as I have seen grungy bathroom floor corners, in even expensive hotels, which grosses me out.)

#2 - All the extra comforts I need: MICROWAVE OVEN, mini-REFRIDGERATOR with freezer section (without being an annoying mini-bar, where you can't fit even one of your personal items, which is so useless to me. I like to eat dinner in my room, and refreeze my lunchbag freezer packs for the next day.) FAN - even in winter, to create that white noise to drown out the road noise. DESK, and free WI-FI.

#3 - Flat Screen TV, which they just added. I don't need this, as the previous TV was fine to me, but it's a nice touch.

#4 - Comfortable bed, not worn out, and clean. (I have stayed at other places where I woke up sore. Not the case here. No, it's not the best bed, but good enough for a good night's sleep.)

#5 - Fresh coffee available early in the morning. They also have some oatmeal packs, tea and hot water. Also, Emergen-C packets, and snack Wheat Thin packages, all included.

The staff is such a kind couple, and Meenie always remembers me, and smiles easily. She quickly brought me a fan once, when one was missing from my room. Once, she even let me switch rooms, without a fuss.

Please, next time you stay in Port Angeles, and don't need a pool or a connected restaurant, etc., consider staying here. Let's all strive to spend our dollars at local businesses first, rather than the chain hotels, with out-of-state headquarters, who often offer less, for more money.

Thanks, Meenie!!