“Best Budget Motel Ever!”

Royal Victorian Motel
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Port Angeles
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I initially found this motel in the AAA book that I got from my mom so I felt comfortable that it had been well researched. It was listed as a 1 diamond property which means it appeals to the budget minded traveler, definitely me!

After double checking TripAdvisor, I booked a Queen room upstairs from May 30th-June 3rd at $69/night. KC gave me the lower price because I was staying 4 nights. Little did I know that it was just the beginning of the lengths she would go through to make sure I had a great stay. Upon my arrival KC upgraded me because there happened to be availability during my stay which was a Monday-Friday. I make it a point to travel before the summer crowds. By the way, room #33 is great! If you plan on sleeping in then ask for a room away from the street traffic. I was up every morning at 7am on purpose.

For breakfast there was coffee, oatmeal, pastries, dried cranberries, bananas and bottled water. I was traveling by myself so KC and Ed even invited me to have dinner with them and a few others. They are great cooks and I felt like part of the family.

KC and Ed were also both very knowledgeable about things to do in the area and talked me into driving out to Neah Bay and hiking out to see Cape Flattery. It was the best view of my whole trip.

The day that I checked out I shared with KC that it had been my birthday vacation. Thanks to her and Ed it was a great one!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Solo47
There are newer reviews for Royal Victorian Motel

Reviewed May 27, 2011

The first impression on check in was an overpowering smell of wet dog coming from the reception area. This did not mean it appeared unclean, just a very unpleasant odor. Check in was quick and the man was friendly.

I wonder if they rented the room upstairs on an hourly basis? There was furniture being moved at 3am and people coming and going all night long. I have stayed in plenty of budget hotels over the years but this was by far the worst for sleep quality. I took a sleep aid just in case but it couldn't compete with the noise.

From reading previous reviews I did request and received a room at the back. The room was fine, nothing fancy but I didn't expect much. The bed was comfortable, big closet to hang stuff and basic functional bathroom.

The good news was that our vehicle was safe in the parking area overnigt and we made the ferry with plenty of time to spare. No need to wait for the alarm to go off since I wasn't sleeping anyways. She was just putting a few snack things out when we left so grabbed a bottle of water and banana for the road.

Next time I will certainly spend the extra $20 and get some sleep.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank jcislanders
Reviewed May 23, 2011

We are happy to stay in this very clean and quite motel . Manager KC is not only very friendly but also very kind to provide the most import travelling information for us.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank jxgu
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Very friendly, provides Continental breakfast, love the location, sleep well here.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chumleeC
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Clean, quiet, comfortable and very reasonably priced.....Manager KC was wonderful and helpful in every way possible. The fresh donuts in the morning were obscenely delicious.

Room Tip: Second floor corner room was very quiet
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tony838
Reviewed April 10, 2011

This hotel was kept very clean (especially considering it's age). The owners were very nice. However, I experienced some very scary and disturbing things during my stay. Has anyone else had something like this happen while visiting there? I had never encountered anything paranormal until that night. One of the doors kept on opening by itself and it was very cold in that area of the room (colder than outside). My boyfriend awoke in the middle of the night to me screaming in terror. I was having a nightmare and had jumped out of bed and pushed myself against the wall screaming, "Oh my God!, oh my God!" over and over. Oddly enough, I was pressed against the piping hot furnace and didn't wake. When I came to I explained that I had felt like I was being attacked by something evil and had walked right into a trap. I was soaking wet with sweat and my boyfriend said he thought I was dying by my behavior. The room felt like a sauna. Someone had turned the thermostat up to 90...and it wasn't me or my boyfriend. The door that we had shut before getting in bed was swung open and the air around it was ice cold. I have never had night terrors or reacted so violently to anything in my life. I've tried to research if something bad happened there or if someone died in the vicinity. If anyone has information on past events at that hotel I would be very interested in hearing about them. I have to think that something similar has happened to someone else in the past.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2011

My favorite thing about this hotel was KC herself. She is the sweetest lady ever and gave us craisins and water plus other treasure for our stay which was only $45 plus tax. The outside was typical for a motel, nothing fancy but a cheerful yellow building. This isn't the ritz but you get much more than you pay for!

• Stayed: February 2011