“Over-priced for average fare”
Review of Cafe Garden

Cafe Garden
Ranked #6 of 120 Restaurants in Port Angeles
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This restaurant was recommended to me by a local so I went for breakfast one morning. I was surprised to see so many glowing reviews of this restaurant because my experience, while not horrible, was average at best in three areas: food, service, and decor. Although most restaurants in Port Angeles (as I came to know) are mostly casual, this restaurant felt too much like my grandmother's home interior (from 1970). The decor consisted of local photos put in 99 cent store frames and hung on the wall, but that had been on the wall a little too long since many of them were faded. This must be the draw since it was packed. OK, so you don't go to a restaurant for the wall decor, I get that, but it certainly does give you an insight into how they care about their image and their food. The service was painfully slow. I actually debated whether I would walk out since it took quite some time after I was seated to be handed a menu and even longer for the basics like water and silver ware. I ordered the Crab Dungeness Benedict. The meal was OK but at the price I paid ($15) I did expect a plate that would look appetizing and be flavorful. Instead I received eggs smothered with too much sauce and not enough crab. I may be one of the only reviews that rates them as average but I feel it is deserved. When the food, service and decor aren't that good and your prices are higher than average that's not a good sign. If someone were to ask me if I would go there again or if I would recommend it, I would honestly say there are better choices.

1  Thank PHXAZ1000

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Super-accommodating!!!! Our waitress looked up ingredients of salad dressings, cheerfully brought recipes in a binder to show me ingredients. Substituted fresh, local salmon for chicken and gluten-free honey mustard dressing for Caesar dressing on my dinner-sized Caesar salad. Friendly, attentive service.

Food was fresh and tasty. Menu in September 2012 offered five salads, including two that featured Northwest seafood (crab, shrimp, salmon, prawns, and scallops, but not all in the same salad). Salads ranged from $11 to $16 for full size. Menu had seven pasta dishes, a nice variety, with prices in $13.50 to $18.95 range. Dinner entrees numbered ten. Some were standard, like New York steak and grilled pork loin. Others sounded very creative, like Italian meatloaf ($13.95), Chicken Dungeness $19.50), BBQ chicken quesadillas ($12.95), and seafood pot pie ($16.95). I bet the red pepper cream sauce on the crab cakes was yummy. Most dinner entrees had flavorful-sounding sauces. The menu also offered eleven Dinner Sandwiches and family-style dinners to-go. Menu offerings and prices may have changed by the time you read this, but I thought I'd give you an idea.

Café Garden is a lovely, calming respite from heavily trafficked Route 101. This small, clean restaurant is hidden from the road behind a hedge. Inside, picture windows overlooked pretty flowers. In front, their small, colorful garden blocked any view of the busy road. If our timing had worked out, we would definitely, happily, have eaten at Café Garden the next day as well.

[We had walked about .7 miles from Olympic Lodge to Café Garden. It’s an easy walk on the sidewalk, but be prepared to be asphyxiated by car exhaust unless you cover your nose with a handkerchief or tissue. Semi-trucks, motorcycles, cars by the thousands roar past, because 101 is THE way to get just about anywhere around there.]

1  Thank 35805Jane_H_11
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We ate here due to the great reviews on Tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. True, the decor could use some work but the service and food are excellent. Prices are reasonable. Very friendly atmosphere and a nice touch with the view of the garden. There is something for everyone on the menu. We really enjoyed our dinner. The Pana Cotta dessert was excellent. You will not be disappointed if you have dinner here. There is great value.

We did look over the breakfast menu but decided we would look elsewhere as it seemed a little pricey-- one biscuit and sausage gravy was around $7! Must be one fine biscuit. We went to First Haven and we loved it for breakfast-- see my review for details. Don't miss First Haven.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I spent a week on the Olympic peninsula, and I would have to say our best dinner was at Cafe Garden. The food and service were outstanding. The atmosphere was a little upscale, but relaxed, which suited us perfectly. Finally, the prices were more than reasonable for the quality of food and service we received.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This restarurant has good food, but as a frequent customer, the menu could stand some updating. The decor and menu have been the same since it opened, even after new owners purchased it recently. That said, the food quality is good and the place is clean. Servers are great and make the weekly trek there a pleasure.