“Great little boutique hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Angeles
Port Angeles Downtown Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Port Angeles
Seattle
Reviewed March 24, 2006

After staying here four times in the last year on business, I read some trip adviser reviews and thought, "Huh?" In my experience, apart from the cleanliness of of the rooms, the most notable characteristic of the place is it's nearly tomb-like silence, especially in the rooms the desk clerk calls the "quiet side" of the building. I've stayed in the ones on the street side too, and they ain't exactly under the El, folks. Port Angeles is kind of a sleepy little town, at least when I'm there.

This hotel is a tiny little place with only 15 or so rooms most of which are up two longish flights (no elevator) in what could be described as a vintage building. Thick concrete walls, tall skinny windows with sort of craftsman style white trim. Looks like it was remodeled a couple years ago. They're heavilly into the rattan furniture and euro-deco reproduction poster look. It's nice, not generic motel stuff. The chennile bedspreads are cozy. I always stay in the cheapest room ($50 with tax) The four bathrooms are in the hall about ten or twenty feet from your door, the desk clerk usually assigns one for my private use when occupancy is low enough for everyone to get their own bath. Always spotlessly clean, BTW. I like the casual atmosphere, and its nice to be recognized as a 'regular' by the guy who runs the place when I make my reservation or when I check in.

I've seen some of the nicer rooms, with kitchenettes and their own bathrooms, but never needed those, so why spend the extra 20 bucks? Overall, I highly recommend this place, unless you need the in-room spa or something. (Alas - no pool here either, but the ocean is a block away :)

PS They have Wi-Fi here, but they don't tell you about it unless you ask about it first.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business

Bellingham, WA
Reviewed December 5, 2005

Although the amenities of this hotel were nice, clean, and even quaint, the service was deplorable and inexcusable. The party being hosted by the teenage manager-on-duty was loud and obnoxious until very late into the night. I felt I was back in college living in the dorms, instead of a paying guest in what was supposed to be hotel. At 2:00 a.m., when I finally got up to talk with the manager, I saw at least seven people walk into the manager's "office". I stayed on a Sunday night, and can only imagine what it must be like on a Friday or Saturday night.

The amenities of this hotel don't come anywhere close to making up for the deplorable service they provide.

I am not a disgruntled ex-employee, but a disgruntled ex-guest.

Stayed: December 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 29, 2005

The Downtown Hotel has clean rooms, but the location is horrible. The hotel is located on a main road (there was also a stop light outside our room window) and the noise kept us awake ALL NIGHT. There is no air-conditioning so we had the windows open during the day, and had to speak over the traffic noise. At night, we closed the windows but it did not buffer the noise at all. Plus, around 4-5am, a street sweeper CREPT by the hotel (which I understand is a regular occurence). It sounded like a huge vacuum cleaner.

To be fair, I can't speak about the condition in all of the rooms, but we stayed in a large room (separate bedroom) diagonal from the front desk (located on the second floor) facing the street. Maybe the other rooms are better???

The hotel itself is clean and the front desk clerk was pleasant. Parking was a short walk away, but we were able to double-park in front of the hotel to unload our baggage. The bathroom only had a small window and did not have a fan, so it was incredibly hot in the room after we showered. Also, there are no elevators, so make sure you can carry your luggage up at least one flight of stairs.

2  Thank MM3_HartfordCT
Bellevue, WA
Reviewed November 29, 2004

Comfort and charm in a convenient location. Ultra-clean and spacious room. Knowledgeable and friendly manager. Would definitely stay here again!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Issaquah, WA
Reviewed May 28, 2004

Initially when I was searching for a place to stay in Port Angeles, I simply wanted a decent hotel close to the ferry. Being only one block away made the Downtown Hotel an easy choice. We stayed for one night in May before the tourist season.

The exterior of the hotel is rather nondescript; the building is older and had seen better days. Parking is available on the street and behind the WA Mutual Bank across the street. The lobby of the hotel is located up a short flight of stairs. The majority of the rooms are located on the third floor. There is no elevator that I could see. Several types of rooms are available - we had a kitchenette suite with a private bath. The kitchen had a full-size refrigerator, microwave, toaster oven and coffee maker, but no stove. Plates and utensils were available. The sink for the bath is in the bedroom and the 'bath' was actually just a shower stall. Luckily our 15 month old toddler had already bathed in a shower stall before and was not scared.

This is a small family owned hotel and has been recently renovated. Our suite was bright and clean and quite spacious. There was plenty of room in the kitchen area for our playpen. The bed was firm and the bed linens were more than adequate. In fact, I felt like I was in my own bed. The walls are a little bit thin, you can hear your neighbors water running for the shower, etc. but nothing major and it did not disturb us at all. In fact, the atmosphere of the hotel was very quiet, almost serene. The manager who greeted us was quite friendly and quick to answer any questions.

There are several restaurants, a playground, the waterfront and the ferry landing within a 5 minute walk. We had a relaxing night and made the 8:20am ferry to Victoria with no problems. For $85 a night plus tax, it was totally worth it.

seattle, wa
Reviewed February 18, 2004

This is our 2nd time to stay here. The first time was wonderful and the staff treated us like family. What a change a few months make. The management has changed. Gone is the warm, friendly service. A live band downstairs kept us awake until 2 A.M. and then a crowd of drunks gathered under our window. As a going away present we ended up covered with flea bites. Never again!!!!!!!

Management response:Responded March 21, 2004

We have reason to believe this 'review' was written by a disgruntled former employee, and would be surprised if he didn't send Tripadvisor many more similar 'reviews' usuing his many e-mail aliases. Please don't make the mistake of taking them seriously. You can call us toll-free at 866-688-8600 or visit our website at --- if you have any questions about our hotel. Thank you.

Denver, CO
Reviewed September 11, 2003

If you like live bands vibrating the floor from downstairs, drunks on
the sidewalk under your windows at 2 a.m., city streetsweepers at 4:45
a.m., garbage trucks at 5:30 a.m. and delivery trucks at 7 a.m. this is
the place for you. If you like a good night's sleep then avoid it like
the plague. We laughed out loud when the manager offered us ear plugs
as the solution. Is there a minus star rating?

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

#4 of 16 in Port Angeles
Super 8 Port Angeles
Super 8 Port Angeles
#2 of 16 in Port Angeles

Been to Port Angeles Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!