“Don really makes history come alive!”

Port Angeles Underground Heritage Tours
Port Angeles Underground Heritage Tour
Ranked #2 of 8 Tours in Port Angeles
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Historic walking tours of the Port Angeles downtown area the city's Underground tunnels and basements.
Reviewed October 25, 2013

When I first heard about the Port Angeles Heritage Tour, I thought, "that sounds cool, I'll try it someday", but I didn't put it at the top of my list. After actually experiencing Don's tour, I know now that this is a must-see! Don truly has a gift for storytelling, and that combined with his extensive knowledge of the city's history makes for a fascinating tour. What was really amazing to me was all of the local businesses that allow Don to bring his tour groups through their stores and into their basements or attics, it's great to see such support for the tour throughout the town!

If you have any interest in history at all, you definitely will not be disappointed by this tour. Don is the best!

There are newer reviews for Port Angeles Underground Heritage Tours

Reviewed September 14, 2013

The tour guide, Don, is very knowledgeable about Port Angeles history. The tour starts with a talk and showing of photos as to how they raised the level of the roads and buildings due to flooding. We then proceeded on the tour during which we saw an underground (what would now be a basement) that was used for a sport. I won't say which as Don uses that as a surprise in his presentation. There were beautiful murals still painted on the walls there. We went into the building that use to house the movie theater and were allowed upstairs where we could see above the now dropped ceiling to the wonderful paintings on the ceiling and walls and were allowed into the old projection room. We went into a "basement" that was used as a boxing club at at that point were able to access under the sidewalk, the only one that hasn't been filled in by the city. The Red Goose shoe building had to be a favorite. The shoe store has original benches for children and murals, one of which is mechanical and still works. There were other displays of what the building was once used for. Then it was upstairs which was used as a brothel for many years.
It was well worth the time to go on this tour.

1  Thank fungramma51
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Popped over from Victoria for the day and got the 06.10 ferry to ensure I was able to attend the 10.00 tour, well I was not disappointed! Having wandered around the town before anything opened I thought wow I am disappointed, once I took the tour I wandered around with fresh eyes and found the town far more interesting.
Don took us into basements and tunnels from 1914, explained how the town was raised from sea level higher and without the aid of mechanics! We were shown an original brothel and explained how things worked when the sailors came to town ;)

What Don doesn't know is probably not worth worrying about, totally recommend this guided tour of Port Angeles

1  Thank Cathy K
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This was a great walking tour that cost only $12. ($10 for seniors) We did a day trip over from Victoria and saw this as part of a promotional offer with Black Ball Ferry. The tour started with a talk about the history of Port Angeles and some pictures. After it was a walking tour around town to view murals, imagine the site in the 1900's and tour some of the older buildings in town. There is one part where you get to go underground to see an example tunnel below the city.

There were two locals on our tour and even they found it interesting.

There is walking and stairs that would not be accessible for those with mobility issues. If you have a bit of time, I would recommend this tour that goes at 10 am and 2 pm (nothing on Sundays). We would have had no idea about the fascinating history of Port Angeles otherwise.

2  Thank Laurie H
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I only went on this tour to impress my boyfriend, who was born in Port Angeles. The last walking tour I went on was so boring and long and repetitive, I thought my walking tour days were over. Boy, am I glad I was wrong! From the moment I met Don, our tour guide, I knew this was going to be a good day and he did not disappoint. Don did an impeccable job of bringing history to life using photos, stories, little-known details, intriguing locations, and well-timed humor. Don is the man. This is the tour. Worth the visit to PA in and of itself.

2  Thank WillowAshes