“Try the Salmon”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I got a tip from the young lady at the Good to Go Pastry Shop (another place to stop) that this was THE place to visit in town, when I said I needed some salmon before leaving the OP. She was right on, and I thank her, as my culinary experience was a major disappointment -- The Crabs especially. Wildfire was fine dining -- whether for the stuffy crowd, or those of us with seaweed on our flip flops after returning salmonless from the Makah Nation. They had a special of blackened salmon with a local (strawberries, yum) and tropical fruit spread that was probably beyond what we would have gotten at a high-end place in Pikes Place Market (sorry Steelhead, maybe we'll find you next time). The manager came out to light the warming torches early, as it was circa 60 up there on Friday nite. So, the risotto went absolutely exquisitely with the fruit and the fish. They have a very nice wine list also. BUT, I have to say, the best part of this visit was the welcome (the greeter was actually waiting at her podium, unlike any place I'd been to all week) and most excellent service received in a week in the Sound area. The waitress was so adorable, I wanted to take her home with me, but decided at the very last moment against stuffing her in my suitcase. I think next time I'll leave extra room in my bag.

Reviewed August 7, 2009

We ate dinner twice over the course of a week spent in the area and the food was outstanding on both occassions, as was the service. We dined once on the patio/deck and the second time inside the main dining room. Both seafood and steaks were great. The seafood cakes were so wonderful as a shared appetizer that my wife had them for an entre the second time we visited. The mixed seafood grill was also excellent.

Reviewed July 30, 2009

Had dinner at Wildfire and enjoyed it very much. Excellent fresh seafood, a pleasant space, and a very friendly/eager to please staff. I'm not sure that it's better than Michael's (in the old town area), but I'd definitely go back.

Reviewed July 22, 2009

Far and away the best all-round meal of our two week trip to the NW, including several $150 for two -plus ones at " name" Seattle restaurants.

We stumbled upon Wildfire on our way to the 8th St laundromat to recycle our clothes midway through our trip and skated in right at their posted closing time starving, and begging (with apologies) for them to FEED us. No problem ... we were warmly welcomed and allowed to linger as long as we liked. There were a couple of comfortably ensconced parties already on the deck enjoying the view and the firepit, so we chose to take a table just inside in this lovely, tasteful, warm and cozy restaurant with the same delightful view out the window. The waitress was fabulous, and the owner/chef Denny came out of the kitchen himself to welcome us and discuss our dining options.

First, they had GEO (gooey) DUCK as an appetizer ...in a ceviche preparation. :-) Geoduck was something we had longed to try after seeing it caught and prepared on No Revervations! It was fabulous too ... and everywhere we went afterward on the Penisula, locals were impressed that we found a place that served it. They said it was very hard to find, and even harder to find prepared well!

After a week of a steady diet of seafood, I wanted a STEAK ... and chef Denny obliged me with a divine woodfire grilled filet, cooked perfectly, while my husband (who never gets enough seafood) had the outstanding mixed seafood grill with risotto mentioned by some other reviewers here. After our delicious meals and excellent local wines, we still managed to split a piece of the peanut butter pie ..do NOT pass this up! :-)

Reviewed July 20, 2009

The atmosphere was set when you walk in this warm remodeled house and the staff greet you with a big smile and treat you like a long term friend. My wife and I both had the seafood assortment with all fresh ingredients over the most outstanding lemon champange rissoto and grilled vegetables. Outstanding quality and good portions. The next time we go back to Port Angeles this will be the only place we will go for dinner.