“Special Breakfast Place”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2013

One the highlights of Port Angeles is Chestnut Cottage. We come for the hiking in the cool Northwest but getting our start at this restaurant is the best way to get going. We know they have other food too, but breakfasts are key to our day, and we really enjoy the people and food here. I don't know how they train their waiters but these people are super and very helpful as well. This past trip my wife and I had the California and Garden Scrambles each, and I had the daily scone as well. They bring out the scone first (nice, hot, crisp on the outside and soft on the inside), then the eggs and fruit. They now have a bold/Italian brew coffee (you have to ask for the bold brew) and that is a big improvement over the standard coffee, at least for me. The tea selections for my wife are also great, and from a local source that uses whole leaf tea in small open weave bags. Some people may not like the traditional look inside but the whole atmosphere is relaxed, soothing, and enjoyable. We have never been disappointed, except when we leave town and have to search for another good place.

2  Thank orth1

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I love this place for breakfast. It is not as inexpensive as some places, but the quality of food justifies the price. I almost always get the quiche and it comes with a huge piece of homemade coffee cake. My only complaint is that it is hard to hike on such a full stomach. On the other hand, we hiked over 10 miles and I never got hungry all day.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is an attractive restaurant with a little gift shop area at the entrance. The atmosphere is a little like a pancake house chain, which is fine but nothing special. Tried the Eggs Benedict and another egg dish and both were nicely prepared. Nothing outstanding here, but certainly worth a try.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

The restaurant was recommended by the hotel clerks as best in town! And I must say, it's probably true, although choices of restaurants are limited in port angeles. The decor is somewhat outdated but it's part of the charm of the place. The service was fantastic, very helpful and charming. The food was good - either the kid menu from my kid or the cobb salad that I got (very fresh). Portion are probably too big, but when it's good, no one will complain!

1  Thank Jerome D
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I use Tripadvisor and a regular bases to find good places to eat, so when I see a 41/2 star I assume that I am going to have a great meal; not true here. My husband kept saying "are you sure it is 41/2 stars?", I assured him that it was.
The clientele was primarily seniors, the decor dated, the music was elevator music; this should have been our first hint and we should have headed to the door. But once seated,my husband doesn't like to leave ("we are committed now").
The food was average at the best, WAY overpriced; I had the chicken and brie panini with salad ($12.95). The sandwich was tiny and I had thought that fig jam would be a good combo with the chicken and brie, not so much; needless to say, I didn't finish it. The salad was so underwhelming, it only had lettuce and 4 croutons, and the lettuce was from a bag. My husband had a roast beef and cheese sandwich (I can't remember the name); I made nicer sandwiches at home. The lunch was $27.... so bad!!!
I LOVE good food and always looking for a great meal. We ended up at DQ that night (awaiting Port Angeles ferry) and we had better meal there. So sad to say that :'(