“Great view from the second floor balcony!”

Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Port Angeles
Reviewed September 2, 2007

I chose this hotel because of the brand name due to the fact that we were traveling with our dog for the first time in eight years and I figured I could count on the Red Lion to have an acceptable pet room. I am a hotel snob and cannot stay in a dirty rundown room.

I booked on-line with the hotel website for a premium view, balcony and king bed for $189 plus taxes. The pet fee was an additional $15. Parking is free.

Upon check-in, I was given the choice of first or second floor, with the second floor having a better view. The hotel made no mention of there being no elevator, but having read the reviews on this site, I asked my husband if he would want to carry our heavy suitcase up the stairs and he said he would so I accepted the second floor. There is a ramp at the far end of the hotel, but that only gets you from the parking lot to the first floor rooms. I found no ramp to get from the first to the second floor.

I found room 254 to be very clean, nice decor and had no pet odors. It was very spacious. Hidden inside the armoire, there was a small refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. I especially liked the bathroom was very large, updated decor and had a full vanity inside. There was also a smaller sink and vanity outside the bathroom so my husband and I could get ready in the morning at the same time. The shower head was very large but barely had water trickling out. I discovered by turning the large saucer shaped shower head, that it would change the spray pattern.

We did not eat in the attached restaurant, but we ordered room service for breakfast and it was very good, especially the crispy hashbrowns. Two plastic chairs were provided on the deck, so we enjoyed the great view while having breakfast. I also brought along a loaf of bread to toss to the seagulls from our deck.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Max-Huckleberry

Reviewed August 27, 2007

Red Lion is slightly above average - but expensive in the summer. $200 for a room with a view - but there are only 2 floors here. The stairs were difficult for luggage and the "swipe-in" system for our cards only worked after about 10 tries. Great bed and nice to have a balcony - I stayed last-minute on a saturday night, and the room was OK - again not worth $200 but has a great view of the sound.

Would recommend if you can get a deal or a cheaper price.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brikrist
Reviewed August 10, 2007

We booked this hotel as it was close to the ferries to Victoria for which we were departing the next morning at 7am. The cost of the hotel was $162 per night and it really wasn't worth that price in terms of cleanliness and convenience of carrying in baggage to the hotel. The lobby of the hotel is in a separate building as you drive into the hotel. When we checked in we were given a map as to which building we were in and where to park. There were steep steps leading up to the door and when one has a lot of baggage this creates quite a problem. No one told us there was a ramp at the end of that building which would have been much more convenient. When we got to our room, the carpet were stained, the upholstery on chairs soiled (so one had to put a towel over them to sit down), and the shower head was very wimpy with the water output.

I called the desk after we arrived and explained these deficiencies and said an adjustment should be made to the rate we were paying. The desk clerk said there was no one available to make that decision and wouldn't be until 7am the following morning. Since we had to leave before then to check in to the ferry dock, I called from there to talk to the manager and was informed she wouldn't be in until 9 or 10am. When I finally did reach someone the following day, the manager conveyed through the desk clerk that they would make a 15% adjustment which they have done. I honestly think they should have refunded more than that, but was grateful for the 15%. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pattib65
Reviewed August 6, 2007

We booked the room when it seemed what was about the only room left in town. Lots going on in Port Angeles that week which was nice, the arts and action as well as sand sculptures on the beach. We had a double queen room on the second floor on the water front. I will say that the view was absolutly beautiful. We were able to get the room on short notice. We couldn't book in advance because we were waiting for word on when my daughter went into labor. (We had a beautiful new grandson) We stayed for 5 nights. Monday through Friday. The room was expensive at $180.00 a night except Friday which we were charged $225.00! Our total bill came to $1,185.00 and that was after a AAA discount. We expected near excellence but what we got was mediocre at best. The hotel was old and it showed. The beds were comfortable and the pillows nice however the room smelled of must and mold. The floors were not clean. I was picking up someone elses clipped toenails off the rug and off of the quilt on the bed. There were messy sticky finger prints smeared all over the sliding glass doors and sliding mirrored closet doors. Also there was someone elses toothpaste splatters all over the mirror. There was someone elses black hair in the bathtub and on the soap holder. House keeping only emptied one or two of the three trash cans in the room. Each day when we came back to the room, the beds were not made well. They looked as though housekeeping just threw the blankets up and tossed the pillows on them. Sheets and blankets were balled up. We did not complain once thinking it would get better. We were there 5 nights and fully planned on leaving a tip the morning we left for home. But nothing changed and at the cost we felt it wasn't worth it. The restaurant was very over priced and the waitress all but rude and in a hurry. This was in the main dining room for lunch and dinner. Breakfast staff was good. The least expensive item on the menu was the hamburger which was $10.00. Not worth it. We would have rather ate at McDonnalds. The TV cable in the room didn't work half the time, fuzzy and with lines through it. The microwave was nice however the refrigerator made so much noise that we had to unplug it at night to sleep. We had to sign a paper saying that we would be charged $250.00 if we smoked in the room or on the balcony. We don't smoke so that's not a problem. What was the problem is that it seemed that nearly all that was on each side of us and below us did smoke out on the balcony and the smell was awful. Another thing that bothered us is that the hotel would like you to sleep in the same sheets each night which is ok for a week but the towels and wash cloths in the bathroom they would like you to hang to dry and reuse to save energy. I feel for the amount of money we paid each night that we should get fresh towels daily, after all, I do at home. Housekeeping said that if you want fresh towels daily then leave the used ones on the floor. That made me feel guilty for wanting clean towels. An uncomfortable feeling. The glasses and coffee cups weren't replaced daily either. The only thing to us that made this stay nice was the fact that we were able to be there when our grandson was born and the view of the water was stunning. Also from our deck we were able to view the sand sculptures and listen to the live music that was on the pier that Wednesday. I realize that this is not a very good review. I feel it is honest and should be posted. Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't though.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Not_A_Happy_Camper61
Reviewed July 21, 2007

For the money it was not what I expected. Room was clean and beds were good. We had no working ice machine on the detached wing of rooms. I had to walk across the parking lot to the main building to get ice on the 2nd floor. I am glad we had a room on the detached wing. The main hotel area has a nasty looking green rug from the 50's or 60's. The front desk was friendly and curtious no problems there. The person cleaning our room had the nerve to leave a written message asking us to leave a tip for their effort. At $179.00 a night I did not feel that was an appropriate request. It is close to the Ferry that was a plus. I did see some signs of renovations...hopefully they will get the hotel quality up to the price. Had we not been going to Victoria, BC I would not stay here for this price. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Seattle for $60.00 a night less and got more for our money. They know they are central to most tourist spots so they charge what they want and give you less.

This is an honest up front review from a recent stay at this hotel.

The Flemings
Houston, Texas

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank TheFlintstones
Reviewed July 15, 2007

The Red Lion was overpriced for what you got. The Best part of the room was the view. We had a view of the bay and it was great watching the ferries and boats go by. The other plus was the path outside the hotel. We took our dog and it was great to stretch your legs. The restraurant was overpriced and short staff.
Even though the hotel was expensive, the location and view would make me stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Kimberlee W
Reviewed July 5, 2007

I can't understand the negative reviews about this hotel!! I stayed there for 2 nights with my husband and 3 teenagers. We all loved this hotel!! This is the nicest hotel I've stayed at in years.
These 2 rooms were really wonderful. The bathrooms were nicely remodeled with a granite sink in the room with the shower and toilet and an additional granite sink just outside so 2 people can get ready at the same time. The room was very clean and nicely decorated. Each room had a desk with a comfortable rolling desk chair and free WiFi for our laptop.

We are usually very cramped in most hotels where we add a roll away bed. The roll away takes up most of the floor space. That was not the case in this large room. The roll away tucked nicely out of the way against the window. The roll away itself was unusually nice, it wasn't the usual folded bed, it was a regular sized twin bed standing on it's head (on wheels). You just lay it down. It's a solid frame with a normal mattress, not a thin lumpy folding mattress!

There was almost no noise from the room next door (where my own noisy kids were)! We stayed on the parking lot side away from the office and it was quiet with lots of easy parking.

We paid about $130 for each of these double queen rooms including taxes, etc. Breakfast was not included but for $5 the office will sell you breakfast coupons for the attached restaurant that are worth $8.50 (essentially a $3.50/person discount which meant a lot to us because there were 5 of us). We only ate breakfast there (twice) so we can't comment on lunch or dinner but the breakfast was great and comes with a view of the water! If you're staying in the hotel the restaurant will give you free coffee but there is also a coffee maker in the room.

The staff was friendly and the bill was slipped under our door on the morning of checkout so we could make a quick get away.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Anne_CA47
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Sequim
Super 8 Port Angeles
Super 8 Port Angeles
#2 of 16 in Port Angeles

Been to Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles? Share your experiences!