“Wonderful location”

Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Port Angeles
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed for 7 nights, making it our base for exploring this section of the Olympic National Park, Port Townsend, Sequim and Cape Flattery. Our room faced the strait, which made ALL the difference. The view is great. Watching the ferry come in and out is fun. Right in front is a coastal trail where you can walk for miles. There's even a small park on a bluff off the trail which has a beam from the World Trade Center, honoring all those lost on that tragic day. It was donated to the city from the Port Authority of NY.

As for the hotel, our room was very spacious, 2 queens and a good sized bathroom. Old style TV, but the room was clean and functional, nothing fancy. The bed was very comfortable. The breakfasts were awesome if you ordered ala carte. The buffet wasn't special. Kudos to the friendly helpful waitresses on the morning shift. They are truly this city's ambassadors. We had dinner the first night we arrived and were disappointed. There are several excellent restaurants within walking distance, so go there instead. The ferry to Victoria is a 5 minute walk away. $17 one way.

I would most definitely recommend this hotel if you stay in a waterfront room. If not, all you'll be looking at is the parking lot and you can get something less expensive elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room with a water view. There are no elevators though.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DNDee
Write a ReviewReviews (2,279)

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I had the best sleep at this hotel in all of our week throughout the Olympic Peninsula. I was hesitant to pay almost $200 for a water side room, but glad to know that it wasn't just for the view. The only noise I heard were fog horns. It was super peacefule and worth every penny. The bed was super comfortable, too.

Our room included breakfast because it was only $10 more to do so for our family of 3. You don't get to choose from the menu though, so it is a breakfast buffet. Get their early or you'll find the best fruit is picked out. When we got there around 9, all that was left was soggy honeydew. No worries, we loaded up on oranges and apples, grabbed a banana for the road. You can also order pancakes with your buffet. The eggs, potatoes, sausage and bacon was better than your average breakfast buffet.

Due to their location to Olympic Peninsula attractions and many restaurants, I'm confident we will stay here again. A huge plus is the mini boat playground out front. Our only problems was our little one didn't want to leave it and caused quite the rucus. The waterside building is solid though, so hopefully she didn't disturb many guests.

Room Tip: Hands down, spring for the waterside.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank LLori
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

This is definitely an older hotel but nicely kept up. The views from hour room were sensational!
The sunrise with my coffee in the morning was a remmorable experience.
This hotel is closings to Mtg. Olympus and Lake Crescent. The restaurant on the top of the pier served a great dinners and killer burgers. Nice shops to explore and many restaurant to choose from. The aquarium on the pier was a fun way to learn of the fish and such that live in the ocean. This hotel is in an awesome locating for whatever you choose to do.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Kathy b
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Port Angeles seems pretty quiet without much happening but this is a great place to watch the ships coming and going. Nice deck overlooking the bike path and the water. Lovely place to relax and watch the world go by.

Room Tip: rooms facing the water are perfect
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank fensterSeattle
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel is fairly priced and perfectly located for visiting the major sights on the Olympic Peninsula, including Hurricane Ridge, Cape Flattery, and the Hoh Rain Forest. Further, the ferry for a day trip to Victoria, BC is next to the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Starit of Juan de Fuca are especially nice evn if a bit more expensive.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jebeel
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed 2 nights -Sept 7 & 8 - and when I made the reservation by phone I was told we would be blown away by the quality of stay at Red Lion. This was our first experience with Red Lion Hotels. We are normally Choice Hotels fans. At first look the room was good but we couldn't get the a/c to work worth beans, the switch didn't make any difference what position it was in. Called to request move to another room. They sent maintenance first to see if they could fix. He vacuumed it and that was about it. He said he would recommend a room on second floor because they have replaced the a/c units up there. So, with that we got a new room. The a/c worked good and then we went to use the shower and there was mold all over the walls!! This would never happen at a Choice Hotel. I tried to contact the manager but she was on vacation so I emailed my complaint to her and it has been 2 weeks and not a single reply. We will never stay at another Red Lion Hotel again. The price was way out of line and quality poor. Only good thing I can say is that it was convenient to catch the COHO Ferry to Victoria..

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hannah C, Hotel Manager at Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

I would first like to say thank you for taking the time to write a review. I greatly appreciate and value the feedback you provided regarding the hotel and it's services. It is with our guests comments such as yours that we are made aware of our weaknesses and are able to make necessary improvements.

Secondly, I would like to express my sincere apologies for lack of follow up regarding your concerns. Assuming I am the one that you sent the email to- I apologize as I do not recall receiving an email upon my return and always make it my priority to respond to all guests.

It is disappointing for me to hear that we fell short in providing a proper functioning air conditioning unit. I am happy however, to hear that the Front Desk was able to accommodate a room move. I would also like to apologize about the mentioned cleanliness concerns. I appreciate you bringing the issues to our attention in order to address them right away.

Thank you again for your feedback. If you would like to discuss these matters in further, please feel free to contact me directly. I hope when you visit Port Angeles again, you will give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations!

Best regards,

Hannah Cline
Hotel Manager

Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel is on the older scale for Red Lion's. It is right down near the water looking across to British Columbia. It's $30 more for a view room, and if your a light sleeper, it's probably worth it, as the other side of the hotel has HWY 101 running up above it, and the logging trucks use compression brakes coming down the hill. The hotel internet wireless signal is weak, but the front desk has a "repeater" box that you can request at no charge. This greatly increases the signal.

This hotel is near all this small tourist town has to offer, so if you want a central location, & to be near the water for not too much money, it's reccomended. Otherwise, some of the new hotels in town might be more to your liking.

Room Tip: Get a water side room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
#15 of 16 in Port Angeles
Super 8 Port Angeles
Super 8 Port Angeles
#2 of 16 in Port Angeles

Been to Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles? Share your experiences!