“Very nice place to stay”

Wingate by Wyndham Macon
Ranked #10 of 67 Hotels in Macon
St. Louis, Missouri
“Very nice place to stay”
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Booked this through priceline and got a great deal. The hotel is very clean and modern. The beds are comfortable and room pillows good. Kids enjoyed the outdoor pool. We only stayed one night on a trip from STL to Orlando. There are MANY good restaurants to choose from nearby and the hotel is in a good location. The free breakfast in the morning was pretty good. Eggs, biscuits and gravy, orange juice, milk, cereal, etc. The hotel is near the interstate but was still kind of in a quiet remote spot. This is a nice place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I chose this location because I was travelling alone back from Orlando to Kentucky. I chose a Wyndam thinking it would be safe, clean, and the least of my worries on a 2 day roadtrip, but i was terribly wrong, it was the worst part of the entire trip (flat tire included).

The room was on the first floor and when I came in it immediatley smelled of bleach and mold. Knowing it is located in a valley in the south, I shrugged it off thinking it was no big deal.

I grabbed dinner (which there are plenty of places to eat nearby) and brought it back to the room and relaxed.

After dinner, I jumped in the shower. The shower curtain was ripped horizontally (between a plastic bubbly pattern and a plastic solid pattern) so water got everywhere in the bathroom (hence the moldy smell). I was only staying there one night so I used the extra towels and mopped up the floor, again not thinking it was such a big deal.

I went to the vending machines on the first floor to grab a water bottle before bed, but found that not only were the vending machines completely unstocked on the first floor but the fitness center next door "under construction" (i use quotations because it looked like no one had made any progress for months), so I went back to the room (after a trip to the second floor for a working vending machine) disappointed that I would not be able to get my exercise in, before the long drive.

I read for a while until 1:30AM and decided to turn in. When I went to put my book on the night stand, a roach was scurrying out from under the alarm clock. I immediatley jumped up and grabbed a shoe to kill it, but found another scurrying across the bed THAT I WAS JUST LAYING IN. I grabbed all my things and went to the front desk to request a room change.

I explained my reasoning for wanting a room change( (roaches), without an apology, the lady said the room next door was available. I looked at her like she was crazy (NO I DONT WANT THE ROOM NEXT TO THE ROOM WITH ROACHES). And asked for a room on the second floor, which she did so again without offering any sort of apology, making me paranoid that the hotel must have a roach problem that she has gotten used to customers complaining.

Needless to say, I did not sleep well for fear of having a roach crawl across me at night.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed April 18, 2010

We traveled to Macon for a "mini vacation". The hotel was more than we expected for the great rate we got on Orbitz. Keep your receipts because our friends were checked out of the hotel after only one night of a 4 night stay. After presenting the receipt from Orbitz everything was taken care of. We were amazed at how much there was to see and do in this small town. It truly hasbeauty, class and charm. We highly recommend the vistor center in town. It is very well done. There are some real neat restaurants in town from "soul food" at H & H on Forsyth St, Fish & Pig on lake Tobesofkee, Brunch @ Dolce Vita on Cherry St, Luigi's on Cherry St., Greek Deli on Cherry St. and Nu Way weiners on Cotton St. The hotel was in a "good" neighborhood. You can't beat it for the price. Jacuzzi & Fitness Center were not available. Beinging renovated. We had a great stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jimmy30263
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed March 31, 2010

The room was extremely comfortable and the staff was good. The free breakfast, while nothing out of the ordinary, was well stocked with enough options to make it worth one's time. The internet connection was free but extremely slow.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed June 21, 2009

I booked a room here for a few girlfriends this past month, and I was not disappointed! The room did seem a little small, but it was very clean, very modern and up-to-date, and the beds were amazing! One of the girls with us said that she always dreads sleeping at hotels because she always wakes up with back pain, but she slept great that night - memory foam mattresses and down comforters probably helped! Overall, great hotel and great service! I would love to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Casselberry, Florida
Reviewed May 22, 2009

I stayed in the Wingate Inn for business for 2 weeks in May, 2009. The room was comfortable but the carpets need to be cleaned throughout the hotel. My bathroom sink had a HUGE crack in it and the back of the toilet was not the right size but the room was clean. The internet service was horrible - it was off more than it was on and when you tried to call their "help desk" you would just sit on hold for 30 minutes or longer to be told there was "nothing they can do".

The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was the same boring thing every morning - powdered scrambled eggs (they say they are fresh eggs but they are not) and bacon or sausage. And being in Georgia I was surprised to find that their fruit was miserable - and no peaches!

Also - a scanner in the business center and having both computers hooked up to the printer would be nice.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. It was not the worst hotel I have stayed in, but I prefer a little better accommodations.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
illinois
Reviewed May 7, 2009

This was our 3rd year and it was great. Excellent service! Excellent Free Breakfast! The beds were awesome! Very comfortable after being on the road all day! It was also nice to have a restaurant (Cheddars) within walking distance of hotel. The food was great! We will be back next year!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple