“Really excellent”
Review of 1842 Inn

1842 Inn
Ranked #7 of 67 Hotels in Macon
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is a great B&B. The welcome was warm and the staff were unfailingly friendly. Our room was very comfortable, beautifully furnished and full of interesting pictures, some relating to the historical figure the room was named for. The 'parlour' areas are really lovely - elegantly furnished in period style and in excellent taste. There are complimentary hors d'oeuvres in the evening with classical music playing in the background. It is an easy downhill walk to the downtown area and the area in which the B&B is located is full of beautiful houses which are worth seeing. This is quite a 'refined' B&B but the friendliness of the staff meant that it didn't feel stuffy.

Room Tip: We had a front room in the rear building, which made it easy to relax on the furniture on the adjace...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 23, 2012

*I give 10 point reviews. Follow me @ GirlSunday*

Overview:
My husband and I were en route back home to Tampa and decided to stop for the night. I found this charming inn through a simple google search on my phone. We were travel weary and looking for somewhere to unwind. "Gloria" answered the phone, gave us a great price (it would be close to 11PM before we'd arrive), and was all "sweetie" and "hon." She even told us that she'd have warm chocolate chip cookies waiting!
What an absolutely delightful inn. Gloria met us at the door and helped us with our bags. She spotted my bottle of champagne (we're celebrating some good news) and insisted on bringing us an ice bucket, glasses, and a silver tray. She set up a little bar area while we walked around the parlor and living room. We're light sleepers and were happy to see that our room was very quiet. Breakfast was excellent. Also important to note that this is a very easy on/off I-75 hotel, less than 5 minutes from the highway.

Style:
This inn is of the "formal" style. It reminded me of a beautiful, Southern mansion. Think chandeliers, rich carpets, varnished wood, Queen-Anne tables, crystal, fine silver, and paintings.

Neighborhood Notes:
The neighborhood worried us driving in, but quickly turned into one of the most beautiful streets I've seen. The Inn is surrounded by southern mansions. We weren't in town long enough to do anything but enjoy the Inn and sleep, but apparently the Inn is close to many restaurants, a gym, shopping, and historical sites.

Room Notes:
Our room had a beautiful four poster bed. We stayed in the Bartram room. If you are a light sleeper, like us, then I'd suggest this room. It's away from the busy areas, has no shared-wall or upstairs neighbors, and has carpet leading up to the door. So even late arriving guests won't wake you up! The bathroom was absolutely spotless. The bed was acceptably comfortable, with decent sheets. There were high-quality spa-type items in a basket by the sink. The bar soap was so nice I was tempted to take it home with me. The towels were very, very soft, and the floor mat was matching and embroidered with 1842. After a family cruise this year where my husband and I suffered through towels that scratched harder than burlap, I appreciate this! I though that was a nice touch. The shower could have been better- it was creaky and kind of dark- but, it wasn't bad at all. One last thing: The MOST comfortable, plush spa robes are hanging in the armoire! They are for sale in the lobby, and I was tempted to buy one!

Room Quiet Rating:
My husband and I are light sleepers, so I've added a review field for talking about the general quietness of a hotel. This is exceedingly important to us but might not be as important to other travelers. For such an old inn, the 1842 was very quiet. I would definitely credit that to our particular room, however. We arrived at about 11 at night, and even though we tiptoed past the other rooms, the wooden floors creaked very loudly. If you are a light sleeper, I'd not stay in one of the rooms off the stairway. Stick with the Bartram room, which has an entire carpeted area in front of it that very effectively muffles noise.

Room View Notes:
Our room overlooked the courtyard, with plantation shutters that could be opened. The view was pleasant. In the morning, light streamed in pleasantly.

Food/Dining Notes:
The next morning, in typical B&B fashion, we enjoyed a home-cooked breakfast. We each got the breakfast souffle, and we shared the flaky, wonderful pecan scone. The coffee was excellent, and a special effort was made to have warm heavy cream waiting for us. We were served at a little table by the fireplace, just the two of us, and I thought that was a nice touch. Ask for it, if you can. Service was attentive but not intrusive (this is important to me).

Cleanliness:
This Inn was exceptionally clean. I'm a bit of a germaphobe and hate it when I find hair in the sink or on the floor. I'm that person who takes antibacterial spray/wipes along and wipes things down. The bathroom was spotless, the bed very clean, and overall, the room was beautiful.

The Inn lists amenities on their site. We were only overnight guests and didn't get to use any of the amenities listed.

Modern Amenities:
The Inn has complimentary wi-fi access in the rooms. I did not try to access it due to time constraints.

Customer Service:
As I said in my introduction, Gloria was very pleasant and went above and beyond her job to make us feel comfortable. At about midnight, when I couldn't get our champagne open, another desk employee cheerfully brought me a corkscrew. When we checked out, the morning desk clerk was cheerful and helpful. When I told him I'd be giving the Inn a glowing review, he gave us a book on other historical inns.

I hope you enjoyed this review. The 1842 Inn exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GirlSunday
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Absolutely the best B&B on either side of the Atlantic! We have stayed at several B&B in the States and Europe, our recent stay at 1842 Inn was the most enjoyable. From our initial reservation contact via the Internet and email correspondence through follow-up to send an item left behind, we have never experienced such outstanding customer service.
PS the breakfast pecan scones are made in house and cannot be missed!

Room Tip: Several king size beds are available, we stayed in the Victorian cottage.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is a wonderful small inn in a beautiful home in a residential area of Macon, fairly near downtown. Service is superb, the rooms are spacious and well equipped, and the breakfast is decent (although not as elegant as you might expect in a property of this quality). It's pricey and thus not particularly a bargain, but if cost is no object and you are looking for a special place, the 1842 Inn is for you.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I cannot tell you how fabulous this place is. Starting with the beauty of the home, the incredible rooms, the well appointed amenities. However, the most outstanding thing is the sercvice. Never have I stayed anywhere that the level of service is this high. The number of touch points and kindness cannot be described. Breakfast is crazy good. The afternoon cocktain time is something out of a movie, and who could pass on the late night homebaked cookies and coffee. JoAnn, both Gloria's, and EJ are amazing. I have stayed all across the US- Hawaii, New York City; all through the Caribean and Europe and nowhere has ever delivered a service like this. Everyone should go out of their way to stay here. Only 50 miles south of Atlanta. If you are ever in Atlanta add at least one day to come to the 1842 and stay!!!!

Room Tip: The Mercer is the best room. Extra large, king bed, and jacuzzi tub. However, you cannot pick a ba...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stay in Macon about a dozen times a year, and once I stayed in the 1842 Inn, I knew I had found the perfect place to stay. The Inn is a beautiful antebellum home. The rooms are large and furnished with antiques. The atmosphere is calm and relaxing, and I always sleep well here. The staff is personable and friendly and welcoming.
Although the house is old, the rooms are absolutely spotless- not a speck of dust anywhere!
And the breakfast is delicious. Very well prepared, and the best coffee I've ever had. If you're ever in Macon, make sure to enjoy a true Southern evening.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MamaCarlon
Reviewed July 7, 2012

My wife I were on a swing through Georgia (July unfortunately not the optimal time of year for such an adventure), and over time had hoped to visit historic Macon (Hay House, etc)...the 1842 Inn looked very tempting, had great reviews, so we decided to spend our one night in town at that site.

Well, we are pleased to report that the 1842 Inn lived up to the advanced billing...included on a list of premiere Inns in the south, this historic structure is absolutely gorgeous, yet also provides a very comfortable place to spend a night. Upon arrival we were enthusiastically greeted by Gloria, who helped with our check-in process and gettings our bags to our room...we opted for the Magnolia room, since we prefer king size beds...the house itself is magnificently restored, and represents a destination in its own right...our room (web site accurately portrays the reality) was richly decorated, enormous size...with outdoor temperatures and humidity in the high 90's, we truly appreciated the coolness of the house as well as our room. The bed provided a very firm and comfortable night's sleep. The bathroom was also spacious, with a shower with nice power and heat. A nice assortment of hors d'oeuvres and cash bar were available that first late afternoon. Copies of menus of local restaurants are available for perusal. We never travel without our notebook, so the fast Wi-Fi was very much appreciated. The breakfast was available either on their beautiful veranda between the 1842 and 1900 houses, or in our room, or in the beautiful parlor...my wife opted for the southern breakfast of cheese grits, eggs, bacon, toast...and I could not resist the cheese stuffed French toast...OJ and coffee accompanying, of course. The Inn is on a beautiful street in Macon, with many amazing Greek and Victorian style homes which fortunately sustained no Civil War damage (a whole story unto itself, thanks to the incompetent Union general George Stoneman). The staff, from dining to janitorial, was uniformly exceedingly friendly. The Inn is a piece of cake to find, come into town on Spring Street, hang a right on Georgia Avenue, then a right on College Street, drive about three houses up the street, and there on the left is your destination.

So, if you can spare a few dollars (euphemism) and want to stay at a National Historic site, have an appreciation of restored mansions, and want to be pampered for a night with a truly memorable experience, this is definitely the place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple