“Good location; but needs improvements”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Macon West
Ranked #14 of 67 Hotels in Macon
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night on my own before staying the next night with my company. The location is convenient to many restaurants and local venues. The front desk staff were nice and tried to be accommodating. My room was on the first floor, the left side of the building. There was distinct temperature change in the hallway when approaching the guest rooms on this side of the building. I later asked the front desk clerk who admitted they knew about it, but didn't know why it was this way.

First thing when I opened my room door I smelled cigarette smoke. This is a non-smoking hotel. I didn't smell the classic Febreze coverup either. I've stayed in places before where it is a non-smoking room, but guests on the sidewalk smoking will come into the room through the air conditioner. I looked out the window and there was no sidewalk in front of the room. I told the front desk clerk who apologized and offered for me to move rooms or give me some air freshener.

Next issue was the room being uncomfortable. The room was damp... the bedding, pillows, seating... and by day two, my clothing. Turning the air conditioner to colder helped with the dampness problem, but made the room way too cold to be comfortable. It was a lose-lose.

I had no trouble with the plumbing in this hotel. WiFi worked sometimes, if I was real still, or if I got closer to the hallway inside the hotel.

Room Tip: I was told the right side of the hotel doesn't have the temperature problem as the left side doe...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Macon West, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear eaglecitizen,

Thank you for leaving us feedback regarding your visit. It is great to know that our location was easily accessible for you. However, I'd like to apologize that the scent of the room was a disappointment as well as its air conditioning system. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for upgrades.

I hope we get the opportunity to show you some of our improvements on your next trip to the area.

Pam G

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Clean. Friendly staff. Not sure what size room I reserved but it had 2 beds and a sofa bed. It was enormous. Pool had lots of leaf debris. Applebees nearby was awful. Would use again en route. A lot of road contractors there when we stayed but over all quiet

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We checked in to this hotel around 4 in the afternoon. Front desk clerk had food in her mouth as she greeted us. When we got to the room my daughter sat on her bed and said her bedding was damp. I checked my bed and it was also damp. Called up to the front desk and she moved us to another room. The next room the bedding was also not completely dry but not as damp as the other room so we just turned the ac up and left to go do some shopping and dinner. When we returned I took a shower to find it not very clean. Soap was on the sides of the shower along with pubic hair on the shower walls. The location was quite shady as well.
I will not be staying at this hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Macon West, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear Tara D,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We appreciate all feedback we receive and use it to help develop the product and the service we offer.

I am sorry to hear about your negative experience during your visit. I am truly sorry for our level of cleanliness fell below your standards and regret the dissatisfaction you had with our bedroom housekeeping. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience these aspects have caused you.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Rest assured that your comments will be used to reconsider improvements. Once again, thank your for your feedabck.

Dhan M

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Location is excellent, just off I-475 and central to a nmber of restaurants in the area including a Golden Corral. Staff was a mixed bag of experience but all were accomodating. If I were passing through Macon and stopping again for the night, I would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Macon West, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Business_Traveler678,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stay at this hotel often and have never had even the smallest complaint. The rooms are clean, beds are comfy and the staff is outstanding. Front desk always greets my by name and goes beyond the norm to make sure I am pleased with my room. (The special part is that I hear them do that for the one time guest or folks like me, that have been here several times. Everyone is treated well). Way to go Holiday Inn Express Macon West!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night and had no problems. Room was clean, bathroom was clean, breakfast was pretty good for hotel breakfast (and FREE) front desk personnel were very helpful, parking was easy....no complaints. Would be good for a long weekend stay, a short overnight visit, or longer. The pool was not open yet but it wasn't a big deal as I was only there one night. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Motel was nice, Appeared to be clean, decent breakfast and quiet. Only one this bothered me. I large bug was smashed just at the edge of the still working entry to my door. The maids were still working in the hall way and passed the room numerous time but made no effort to pick it up. When the desk put my bill and newspaper under the door they would have been staring at it. Again they didn't pick it up. It was a large bug at least two inches long 1/2 wide, still bugs me no one seen a need to pick it up.

Room Tip: If big bugs make you uncomfortable you may not like this lodging.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple