“The King Suite is Not so Sweet”

Hilton Garden Inn Macon / Mercer University
Ranked #3 of 67 Hotels in Macon
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I give an overall rating of disappointing for this visit for only 3 'below normal' service levels as can be expected from Hilton Hotels.

(My wife and I have stayed at this hotel 2 times before this stay. She wrote a review which detailed what to reserve and I forgot to follow her guidelines.)

First, let me say that everyone of the staff I met was very friendly and polite. The general appearance of the hotel is clean and neat, giving a welcoming feeling to the guests. It is located directly on the Mercer campus and that one fact is its major star attraction.

Our room, 418 on the top level and only two doors down from the elevators was clean, neat and had a pleasant smell. Even though it was near the elevators, we did not experience any loud hallway noise from the other guests or staff.

Here is where the rating takes a nose dive to bottom of the heap.

1. We reserved a King Junior Suite (includes a front sitting area with TV), but instead of a King size bed, we had a Queen size bed. It was late when we arrived and we did not complain as we just wanted to rest.

2. Now, the Queen size did fit us, albeit a little snug. However, the mattress had a HUGE valley in it, which was the side that most people would use to sleep in. My wife had that side and I had the 'mountain' side. Seriously, there was about a 4 inch drop between the side I slept on and hers.

3. Do not try to buy wine or liquor from their cute dinning room bar. The staff has 'no clue' about bar tending, plus the drinks are way over-priced. Liquor stores are plentiful nearby.

I did talk to Beatrice at the front desk upon check out about the problems with the room, but she said she could not reimburse me or do anything for me as I booked with Expedia

Room Tip: We recommend choosing a room away from the elevators and one that is on the highest level. We highl...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Jonathan A, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Macon / Mercer University, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience. Let me start by apologizing for the inconveniences you and your wife endured while staying with us. All of our suites have standard 76" x 80" king mattresses with the Garden Sleep System, however I apologize the bed in room 418 was not up to standard. When booking with a third party there are specific rules that we as a hotel have to follow. However, if you would please contact me directly at the hotel, I will be more than happy to work with you to find a reasonable solution. Thanks again for your comments and I look forward to speaking with you.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Macon / Mercer University

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Clean, friendly good breakfast. The 24 pantry has a wonderful selection of items. The breakfast bar was very good and the wait staff very kind. Cookies on the counter for my evening check in were a nice touch! Located right off the highway and easily accessible to everything!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank noplacelikehome123
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Beautiful hotel! We came here for a visitation of Mercer University, which is within close walking distance. The staff were very friendly and helped us with whatever we needed or asked for. I have never stayed in a hotel that smelled so nice! The rooms were clean and comfortable. They have a very nice and comfortable sitting area in the lobby. The restaurant food was good and their staff was very polite and helpful. Many choices on the breakfast buffet. Not very many restaurants right close by, but in Mercer village there was a great Mexican restaurant, Margaritas and a pizza place. You could walk to them. If we ever drive south again, we will definitely make this our stop!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Stephanie G
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Superb location, room and staff! My group was comprised of huge Chicago Blackhawks fans and we especially enjoyed watching the win on Sunday afternoon in the comfortable lobby sitting area after checking out and beginning the next leg of our trip to Savannah.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JDP705
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My family and I went to Mercer University to watch a basketball game. The hotel was next to the baseball field, sand volleyball courts, and within walking distance of everything on Mercer's campus. We stayed on the 1st floor. Our ceiling was about 15 feet high. It was quiet. The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The staff was friendly. The hotel looked to be new. We ate at a Mexican restaurant right down the street that was really good. It might have been called Margaritas. Overall we thought Mercer University and this hotel were excellent.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms seem very large due to ceiling height.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nancy W
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

We arrived after an arduous day day of travel and were totally accommodated by Beatrice at the front desk. The room was well appointed and clean. We had looked forward to a nice dinner there, but that part fell short. Only the salad was good, and the server disappeared a lot. Unusual for a Hilton Garden Inn, one our favorite places to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank tjc14
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We arrived at this Hilton Garden Inn and found a well-appointed room, a clean and inviting lobby area, and a well-maintained gym. The outdoor pool and jacuzzi seemed to be in good shape, but it was wet and rainy so we didn't use those facilities.

This is the perfect spot to stay if you want easy access to Mercer University and its environs. Macon is a beautiful place to explore, especially when the cherry blossoms are blooming. The history of the town lends itself to fun week-end explorations as well. One of the recommended local eateries, the Fish 'n Pig, was a fun place to have a simple but delicious dinner and is within easy driving distance of the hotel. We ate at the hotel's dining room the next morning before we left and thoroughly enjoyed the made-to-order breakfast. The chef produced one of the best omelets I've had in a long time. He was great!

We asked for and got a late check-out which helped us because of business constraints.

I stayed at the hotel while my husband went to a business meeting. It was rainy, and there were no close-by stores to visit. this place is great for easy on/off the interstate. If you want to be within walking distance of the historical district, another hotel might be better for you.

Pros: A beautiful location on a college campus. Great room.
Con: During check-in, the receptionist was not friendly at all. The situation the next morning was fine; a different receptionist was very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel faces interstate I-75, but the noise isn't significant. It might help to...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business