“Forgot that we had this treasure in town”

Nu Way Weiners - Downtown
Ranked #38 of 349 Restaurants in Macon
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Macon, Georgia
“Forgot that we had this treasure in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

After years of just not thinking about this place, one day we were looking for something different. NuWay kept showing in the recommended restaurants for Macon, so we gave it a try and it was fantastic. They have a special chili sauce that they put on the little hamburgers and I also had a slaw-dog which has cole-slaw and mustard on top of the very red looking hotdog. The color of the dog can be a little surprising at first, but it tastes wonderful.

• Visited November 2013

Tennessee
“What a weiner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

This hot dog joint is a must-stop if you are traveling through Georgia. I highly suggest visiting the original restaurant downtown with the original diner bar stools and booths. We had read about the "flame red" color of the dogs so we were prepared for it to look unlike dogs we normally eat. I got my dog "all the way" because I all previous ratings for this house special - slaw, chili, mustard, and onions. Pretty good. It's not really about the food at Nu-Way but rather the tradition and feel of such a prized, local establishment. After the dogs we explored downtown Macon a bit on foot - again another reason to eat at the downtown location is to see the home of the Confederacy Treasury!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank callie1980
Jacksonville, Florida
“NuWay Downtown is GREAT PLACE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I was born in Macon and as a very young child I ate at this place but didn't have a memory of it. So as an adult and 50 years later on a trip to Atlanta from Florida, we stopped at the original NuWay downtown Macon and had a meal. The place is wonderful and filled with history. You won't find these "red" hotdogs anywhere else. Order all the way with the special chili sauce!! You could sit and eat several they are so good.

In July we went to Pine Mountain and exited 1-75 at Ft. McCoy and they had a NuWay!!! Had no idea. It was 9:30 in the morning and I turned a travel trailer around and parked it in the lot and got 6 hotdogs to go and split them with my friend. And the ice is a must have also. They are just as famous for their ice. Very small crushed ice. Lasts forever. What else can I say....I think you would love the hotdogs!!!

• Visited July 2013
Valdosta, Georgia
“history and hotdogs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

My wife and I visited on a Saturday with 2 teenage boys after a baseball game. I enjoyed the history and old photos - Oprah was in one. The boys didn't care about this small, 100 year old downtown diner's history, but ate 4 dogs each. The All The Way Chile Cheese Slaw dog was our pick. This place is probably much busier on a weekday at lunch with the local, downtown crowd. Worth the trip.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank pem77
Bremen, Georgia
“When in Macon do as Maconites do.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

Grew up in Macon and eating the Chili Chese dog with mustard all the time. Moved away and now it is a treat when I go back to middle GA. It is fast food and therefore may not be for everyone but if you like dogs it is worth stopping by. My son says the double scrambled dog is the best.

• Visited September 2013