“Not A Fan of the Sauce” 3 of 5 bubbles

Fresh Air Bar-b-Que Of Macon
Ranked #24 of 347 Restaurants in Macon
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Atlanta, GA
“Not A Fan of the Sauce”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I initially heard about this place on the PBS show "Get Delicious" and figured I'd give it a try. The pulled pork was really tender and moist, but I just couldn't get excited about the sauce. Too vinegary. I guess I just didn't grow up with that style so I'm not a huge fan.

I wish there were more side options to choose from, but at the same time I do appreciate the small menu focusing on what they do well. Service was good and the staff was very nice.

Visited July 2013

Markham, Canada
“The best BBQ ever. Brunswick was amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

This place may look like a bit of a dive from the outside in a rundown plaza but wait. It has great ribs and chicken. The sauce isn't overly sweet. More vinegar based. The rib platter with a side of slaw beans and Brunswick and bread. It's the best I've ever had. The kids enjoyed the 1/2 chicken and it was a huge bird. I will come back to this place for sure anytime in the area. The need to open one in Canada.

• Visited June 2013
atlanta
“Almost excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

The family stopped by here on our way thru Macon over the weekend. Wife and kids had smoked chicken sandwiches and I had the rib plate. Sandwiches were good sized and they thought the tea was good. Ribs were almost perfect but had some membrane on the back which made it a little too chewy. Flavor was super. I liked the sauce. Nice and tangy. Wife and kids thought it tasted like a combination of a vinegar sauce and a ketchup sauce and they prefer one or the other but not mixed. Overall, I thought it was as good as the sister location in Flovilla but closer to the interstate and a bigger selection. Definitely worth a stop.

Visited June 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Review From a Macon Native”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have been coming to Fresh Air for over 13+ years and it is hands down my favorite BBQ in Macon. The Brunswick stew is amazing, and a must try if you've never had BBQ in GA before. It is rather vinegary, so if that's not your thing then don't go to Fresh Air. Otherwise it's outstanding. I just went there last week and the service was fast, sweet tea amazing, and food even better, as always! I must try in Macon. I highly recommend the classic pulled pork sandwich, brunswick stew, cole slaw, and sweet tea for a meal!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Griffin, Georgia
“Country Feel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is good country BBQ. Servers are polite and friendly, the bbq has a vinegar tangy and smokey taste to it. Not sweet.

Visited July 2012