“An Unexpected Surprise”

Ranked #30 of 68 Hotels in Macon
Greensboro, North Carolina
“An Unexpected Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Based on some of the reviews, I didn't expect much more than just a shower and a pillow for my short stay . Boy was I surprised. My room was EXTREMELY clean (thanks to staff member Joyce), comfortable and quiet. To top it all off, I paid less than half the nightly rate my colleagues were paying at hotels just across the highway.

I was just there from Oct 11-14, 2012 and thankfully didn't experience any of the problems expressed in some of the other reviews. I stayed on the 3rd floor, which was a non-smoking floor, an did not get a hint of smoke (which I specifically checked for). The amenities were modern, including a large flat screen TV, and everything was in working order. I couldn't have been more pleased.

Room Tip: I don't know what floor the negative reviewers stayed on but, as I mentioned, I was on the third...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Manager-AAL, Manager at Extended Stay America - Macon - North, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
"It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe Macon - North. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

The overall exterior of the hotel looks very modern and new. However, this is very misleading to its customers, the interior is very old and outdated. The non-smoking rooms smell very much like smoke. The beds are very uncomfortable, the comforters have cigarette burns in them. The bath towels had pubic hair in them. The couches were horribly stained and to top it off I woke up to roaches or as they call it palmetto bugs, I almost went crazy! Come to find out this hotel has a serious problem with roaches and lizards. Not just periodically but everyday, yes they have pest control but it certainly does not do the trick! As for the positive points...The hotel staff were great and accommodated me for the inconvenience of the pest problems. The hotel is conveniently located near I-75 which is definitely a plus. However, I will never stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jennifer L
Manager-AAL, Manager at Extended Stay America - Macon - North, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
"I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay Deluxe Macon - North. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

The problem of pests is not just a challenge for the lodging industry at large, but also a challenge for the entire service industry, particularly those sectors that deal with foods. Such pests can create problems for airports, luxury resorts, restaurants, and even grocery stores. Until the scientific community is able to create a 100% effective and safe solution to the problem of pests, our hotel will continue to take the strictest care in deploying prevention measures so that situations like yours don't occur.

I am truly sorry to read of your misfortune. We are routinely praised for our service, cleanliness, rooms, and exceptional rates, so it is with the utmost seriousness that I regard your comments. I can assure you that your remarks will be fully researched and all results will produce prompt actions by our management team. Becoming America’s premier choice for extended stay lodging has given us the great fortune of welcoming millions of valued guests, like you, into our nearly 700 properties across North America. But we could never have gotten to that point without listening to our customers, our most important assets. It is for that reason that we will continue to make offering clean, comfortable hotel suites at affordable rates our priority.

Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

The rooms were big with a seperate kitchen area. But everything in room looked to be at least 20 years old. Including the sheets and blankets. There were holes in them. The tv was old fashioned. You might as well forget about the fold out couch bed. We pull it out and there was a huge black stain underneath on the mattress and it was very dirty. One person in our group got bitten by bed bugs. Then there was the old fashioned a/c unit that was placed right next to the bed and kept turing on off and all night it was very noisy, which woke me up frequently. I don't know how anyone can stay here for an extended stay we ran after one night!

Room Tip: Check for bed bugs and try out a/c before you accept the room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank R G
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Macon - North, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay Deluxe Macon - North. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

In response to your comments about the air conditioning unit, we have inspected all in-room air conditioners and made any necessary repairs to ensure that we don't have a repeat of your particular incident in the future. I can assure you that we will continue to maintain strict quality control measures, and would like to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

The room was clean and peaceful and my stay was nice. The staff was great

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay Deluxe Macon - North. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.
Macon, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

I just relocated to Macon for a job and they put me up in this hotel for a month while I looked for an apartment. I read reviews on here and was happy to see all good reviews, so I had my hopes up. But I was terribly disappointed. The room was very small. I've stayed in regular hotel rooms that were bigger than this deluxe queen with kitchenette. I was pleased to find a full-sized fridge! But the pictures I saw online did not accurately represent this property.

The smell was terrible! As soon as you walked in the front door there was a slight odor that got worse in the hallway. I was unfortunately on the 3rd floor in a smoking room. It was terrible. The bed smelled like an ashtray. After my first restless night, I went out and bought a bottle of Febreze and used 3/4s of it on the bed and pillows. This helped, but the room still smelled like a smoking room.
There were also pets everywhere, which surprised me. I had to sign something saying that I didn't have pets with me when I checked in, so I was shocked to hear a dog barking when I was in my room at night. Walking through the halls, I often ran into people with cats and dogs, sometimes not on a leash. While I guess this is a good feature for people with pets, it was not ideal for me.

I had read online that there was a flat fee of $4.99 for internet access for the duration of your stay. I thought this was reasonable. However, what they they don't tell you is that this is for a slow internet connection and that it's an extra $3/day for high speed internet access. For someone who needs the internet for work (and for looking for a home) this was not ideal for me.

The room was clean, although it didn't smell like it. There was always trash in the hallways and in the staircases where the trash cans were. I think they needed more staff to take the trash out more often, it overflowed and would smell.

I checked out after 3 night and got a different hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank KUO100
boston ma (red sox nation)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2011

Spent 9 days/nights here in a deluxe queen room. Room was just roomy enough for our needs as we were travelling with a newborn. For us, it was nessessary to have a cooktop, microwave, and fridge. Dishwasher was an added bonus because we didn't expect it. TV had 30 something channels plus a dvd player. Everything that we needed was nearby, as it was in a very commecial area, but quiet at night. If there was any negative, it would be that the pool was closed for the season when we were there. I wish there was some sort of other outdoor area in which to enjoy the fresh air with a couple of loungers,or a picnic table or two... even if the pool was closed. Restraunts, malls, and other attractions are all right there. Cheddars casula cafe next door was awesome. The front desk staff was super accomodating and friendly during our stay. Always with a nice comment or smile asking how our newborn was doing. When travelling to Macon, this hotel is a great choice for price and convienence.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Louisville, KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2010

We booked one night for a stop on our long drive home. Our queen room was spacious, with a couch, kitchenette, and desk. The TV also had a DVD player, and there is a Red Box at the Kroger one mile away. The hotel is located right off the interstate, with plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby. We booked the room on Priceline for less than $60.

• Stayed February 2011