“Nice Hotel... poor customer service”

Macon Marriott City Center
Ranked #29 of 67 Hotels in Macon
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Nice Hotel... poor customer service”
Reviewed November 27, 2010

The hotel is in a great location in Macon. It's right downtown but it's not walking distance to the theatre or the other restaurants.

The room is what you would expect from a Marriott... very nice amenities and lots of attention to detail with the layout of the room.

The customer service was just pretty mediocre... I think that they may have some management issues. My husband and I came in for a night from out of town. We had bee driving a ways and called the hotel right before arriving to see if the hotel restaurant and bar were open and what the menu was like. It took 10 rings for someone at the front desk to answer and when she did she was absolutely not helpful. I asked her to tell me about the restaurant and her answer was "hold on" and she transferred me to a number that no one answered. We ended up going out to a restaurant instead of eating at the hotel.

The bathroom was not very clean (the shower). I could see the "footprint" of a shower shoe inside the shower and the tile walls did not look clean inside the bathroom.

Overall, the staff have an attitude and seem very lazy. It's really quite a shame because the hotel itself is very nice and one of the few decent places to stay in the area.

I hope that this issue gets taken care of.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Seneca, South Carolina
Reviewed November 16, 2010

I recently travelled to Macon and chose the hotel due to its "newness". The building appears to be brand new. I would almost guess that no one has ever stayed in my room before.

I had no problems with check-in, room, service; however, I had no special requests either.

I would recommend this hotel; however if you are expecting "white glove" service go somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed April 19, 2010

Our 2 night stay at this Marriott hotel was very comfortable. The location was convenient to downtown although a vehicle is required, the hotel was clean, the beds were comfortable and the staff was friendly. There was ample parking, the area was well lit and safe. The bar area was inviting and the pool suited our two young boys.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Seattle at heart
Reviewed April 9, 2010

I arrived for a business conference on a Sunday afternoon. There were many people waiting in the lobby. Apparently rooms weren't ready for check in and it was after 4:30. They took my number and told me they'd call when my room was ready. I went to dinner and never got a call, but my room was ready when I came back from dinner. I asked if I could get some extra Marriott points for the inconvenience and they said sure. I overhead a staff member tell somebody that a high school basketball tournament the previous night had left the rooms in a state needing extra housekeeping attention to ensure the rooms were up to expectations.

My room was nice and clean. It was decorated in modern decor and had Bath and Body works products. The bed was very comfortable and I slept extremely well.

But apparently there were so many problems with check in, the conference organizer complained, and the GM came to our conference session the next day to apologize. He said they hadn't lived up to the Marriott brand and they'd do their best to make the rest of our stay the best it could be. It didn't come across as very sincere, I felt more like he was trying to prevent a bunch of complants to corporate. Well, after a full day of meetings, I returned to my room to find it hadn't been serviced all day. The housekeeping cart was still in the hallway and a staff member asked if I wanted me room serviced. I asked if they were short staffed and she said yes, so I said just fresh towels and taking out the garbage would be fine.

After that I started noticing other problems, like the fact that instead of shampoo and conditioner, I had 2 bottles of conditioner. And while the gym had a good vareity of equipment, there was no water jug on the cooler, so there was no water when I got done with my morning run. Plus, both morning at 6 am, there were still dirty pool towls spilling out of the bin and onto the floor, I presume they were from the night before.

When I checked out, I asked about my extra Marriott points since they weren't on my receipt. The guy did some typing and then said okay, they are in there now. When I asked how many? He didn't know. He had to ask one of his coworkers how many points I got, and she said 500. I didn't think that was very many, and I am not convinced they will actually post to my account. We'll see.

Ironically, I will be staying at this hotel again next week, so I will have the chance to see if my experience was an anomaly or if this hotel has serious service issues. I will post either way.

1 Thank fearlesstravelchick
Atlanta
Reviewed April 8, 2010

After stock in holiday traffice for 3 hours, we only made to Macon. My family were tried. I am glad they have a on-site restaurant that we don't need to drive again. Room was really nice and staffs were friendly. We will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed March 25, 2010

I stayed her for 1 night in March and have nothing but good things to say. I was here for a business meeting with a large group, and the staff was very accommodating.
First I realized that I forgot my toiletry bag, and to my surprise they provided everything I needed. Even though they had several of these items for sale in their "convenience shop" they offered them to me complimentary.
The beds were very comfortable and the shower spacious. You can tell that everything in the hotel is still relatively new.
I was also pleasantly surprised with the fitness and pool facilities. They had nice, modern equipment including free weights, cables, balls, treadmills, bikes, and ellipticals. I did not use the indoor pool or spa, but they looked clean and well kept.
I would be happy to stay here again if I ever need a hotel in Macon.
My only complaint is the price of internet and music channels.

Atlanta
Reviewed March 14, 2010

I was a guest here on Monday evening, March 8, 2010 and from check-in to check-out, my experience was top notch. Bath & Body Works bath amenities, adequate lighting, iHome unit for iPod--the little things that make being away from home comfortable. After spending just one evening, this is my hotel of choice in the Macon area.