“Convention” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 68 Hotels in Macon
Elberton, GA
“Convention”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Arrived on Friday and had an excellent check-in. When we got to the room we discovered that four people were expected to use 3 towels and 2 wash clothes. Since housekeeping was still in the hall way, we asked for an additional towel and wash clothes. We were told they were in the laundry and would be brought up soon. Two hours later, we called back and requested the towels, wash clothes, and 2 blankets. When we got back to the room at 9:30 pm and we had the blankets, but still no towels and wash clothes. We made another call. At 10:15 we headed to bed and was woke up at 11:15 with our towels at the door. On Saturday, housekeeping again only left three towels. On Sunday morning, we had breakfast scheduled to start at 7:00. We were delighted when the breakfast was brought out at 7:20. The wait staff were friendly but they didn't seem to get in a hurry about making sure you had all your needs for the meals. However, I will say the food was excellent.

This convention location is awful if you have attendees who have trouble walking long distances or getting around. The hallway down to the ball rooms are down a LONG ramp. The hallway needed to be vacuumed due to dead bugs and dirt on the carpet.

Also, don't count on eating in restaurants close to this hotel.

One of the attendees at the convention had her car broken into on Saturday night.

Room Tip: If you are wanting to stay in an area with restaurants this is NOT a location that you want to stay.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Enj0ytraveling
Mark B, General Manager at Macon Marriott City Center, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
I am really sorry for your experience. That is unacceptable and I appreciate your feedback so that I can better manage my staff and hotel. I assure you I will personally look into these issues and resolve them as quickly and efficiently as possible. We hope you will return and give us another chance to provide you with the excellent service we pride ourselves on and that you deserve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Columbus, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

I am an elite member of Marriott and arrived a little early for a convention that I was looking forward to. I had planned on combining this trip with pleasure. Upon arrival I was told the rooms were not ready because of late checkouts, I was not offered anything to do or options while I waited. I was told I would be given a call when the room was ready but the call never came. The next morning I had a business meeting at 9am and I called to ask for a late check out and was told no. I had never been told no. This was unexpected and caused me to pack fast and somehow my medicine bag came up missing. It took a week for me to reach someone concerning my medications. As you would know, I never got them back. The bag contained prescription pain medication and the general manager of the hotel was as inefficient as the staff. He offered nothing for my inconvenience. The room was nasty and corporate suggested compensation but the general manager did absolutely nothing. I will never stay at this ghetto hotel again.

4 Thank Karen J
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

This is a newer property with a well trained and caring staff. From the front counter to the kitchen the staff was consistent and attentive. Fitness center and pool were nice and the bar/restaurant were inviting. It was much more than I expected.

Room Tip: The morning breakfast bar is faster and less expensive than eating off the menu after you factor in...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mark B, General Manager at Macon Marriott City Center, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for the review and for the tip for other guests. We look forward to serving you next time.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

Disappointing experience. Arrived last night at 11:30 p.m. with husband and 2 sons after long drive from Florida. Had reserved and paid for a room with 2 queens, which was noted in their computer. Told by front desk gentleman that although my reservation showed that I had booked a 2 Queen room, they had no room with queens available. Only Kings which could not accommodate kids, too tight a fit for rollaway beds. I asked that they provide us with an adjoining King at their expense, since this was not our fault (I had confirmed this reservation only 1.5 hours earlier). He refused and said we would have to pay for 2 rooms, not just 1. With no budget for 2 rooms, we were left stranded. All other hotels were sold out for hundreds of miles along I-75 north and south b/c of spring break. Went back to the car and finally found a soft hearted manager at another hotel chain who helped us locate a room in a small town 20 miles off the beaten path and arrived in early morning hours. We had selected this Marriott b/c of the good reviews. Very disappointed in this gentleman's refusal to help us in this situation and total lack of customer service on the part of Marriott. Expected much more from a Marriott Hotel

Room Tip: The front desk gentleman said not to trust the Marriott Reservations Line b/c they are inaccurate on...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Mary K
We apologize for your experience and I will personally discuss this with our desk staff to find out what happened so that this does not happen again. We are happy you were able to find a room for the night, but wish we had been more helpful. We hope you will return to our wonderful city!
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

very clean and new appearance, but the king size bed was so worn out that you could hear the springs creak when you moved on the bed. The HSIS was a real pain to log into and the cable service would pixal out often. The location was not up to Marriott standards. I reviewed the hotel and the management called with no real explanation except "were sorry". I would not stay at this location again.

1 Thank frank c
Mark B, General Manager at Macon Marriott City Center, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
We are sorry for your experience. We are working diligently to improve our cable and internet services. We hope you will give us another chance to provide you the excellent service and accommodations you deserve.
GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

The room was clean, quiet and the normal Marriott accommodations. There were foam pillows in the room, so kudos. Bathroom had hot water, heat a/c worked, and the room was quiet. Overall, the best experience in the past three nights on the road.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank GaTraveldoc
Mark B, General Manager at Macon Marriott City Center, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your return!
McDonough, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

I recently stayed at the Macon Marriott City Center from 02/04/14-02/05/14 for business. We were three separate employees staying in three separate rooms on three different floors and all of us had issues. The first problem was checking in. All three of us had reserved rooms with king size beds – all three of us were checked into rooms with two double beds. We were told there were no kings available.

We are all government employees and do not pay taxes on hotel stays. All three of us presented the tax exempt forms and only two of our bills were correct. The third employee was charged taxes on his bill and he had to return to the hotel to have the taxes credited back to his credit card and bill adjusted.

Two employees were paying cash for their hotel. At check in the employees were notified that they needed to put down a $25 cash deposit for incidentals. I really couldn’t understand this logic, because a credit card was required to make the reservation. If there were incidentals, it could have been charged to the card.

We had lunch at the restaurant on-site and requested three separate checks. My debit card was ran for my check and my co-workers check which was not authorized by me. The waitress explained that if she did not go back to finalize the transaction with a tip, it would not be posted to my account. She said the Hold would just expire and nothing would happen. I had to watch it on my account for 3 days to see the Hold expire and the Pending Transaction disappear from my account.

The final disappointment with this hotel was the hot water the morning of 02/05/14. There was none. The water finally got luke warm, so I made it a very brief shower. I mentioned this to the staff at checkout and the front desk clerk said two other people had mentioned it that morning and she would notify engineering. Once I met up with my co-workers both said they had no hot water either. We were all on different floors – the 3rd, 4th, and 6th – so this was definitely a multi-floor problem.

There is no free breakfast at this hotel. There is a breakfast buffet that is about $14. There is no free internet in the rooms. It is $9.95 a day. The salad bar at lunch was good, although it took 3 different requests to 3 different servers to get some bread and crackers. The issue with lunch was when the server ran my debit card for someone else’s bill. There is an iHome alarm clock in the room which will charge iPhones.

Overall, we will probably not stay at this hotel again. We recently stayed at Springhill Suites by Marriott in Macon and loved that hotel and had absolutely no problem. When we return we will probably stay at Springhill Suites.

1 Thank ata1976
Mark B, General Manager at Macon Marriott City Center, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Let me start by saying I am extremely sorry for your experience. We hope you will reconsider and stay with us again to give us the chance to provide you with the wonderful service you deserve.