“Some nice features, but...”

Macon Marriott City Center
Ranked #28 of 67 Hotels in Macon
Memphis, Tennessee
“Some nice features, but...”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Marriott City Center is located adjacent and connected to the Macon, GA convention center. The first thing one notice's on approach is the absolutely desolate area surrounding the place; a long-abandoned factory building and a seemingly burnt-out warehouse are directly across the four lane road out in front. On inquiring if it was safe to walk around the area, a hotel staff member replied that "No one walks around here", and that it would not be a good idea.
Upon checking in, I was informed that, despite it being already 3:30 PM, my room would not be ready for... another two hours! No offers of complimentary beverages or anything else to help offset the inconvenience, and no accomodation for a requested 1:00 PM checkout to help compensate for the delay. (I was told that EVERYONE was inconvenienced, so...Another staff member informed me that these delays were business-as-usual at this hotel.)
Once in my room (at 5:30 PM), I was pleased to find the bathroom to be quite spacious, with an exceptionally nice marble-tiled walk-in shower, and the climate control functioning and responsive.
Room service was rather slow (taking an hour), and the water I ordered was forgotten. However, I was able to return a bottle of wine the next day for credit, as it had not been opened - the server didn't open it and there was no corkscrew with the order.
All in all, because my stay was brief and related to a conference there, the location was convenient enough, and the accomodations suitable and clean. However, the cavalier attitude with which guests are apparently routinely treated at check-in indicates, to this frequent traveler, that some serious analysis of certain management practices vis-a-vis meeting guest expectations must occur.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lee A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
South Carolina
Reviewed October 7, 2012

If you're attending a conference at the Centreplex in Macon, be sure to stay here. The hotel is connected and makes for easy and convenient lodging. And the parking in the surface lots is free. My room was modern, well-appointed, and very clean. If a bathtub is important to you, be sure to ask before booking. My room only had a shower (very spacious), but that was fine for me. In the manner of many hotels these days, the bed had one of those thick, puffy down comforters on it, which is w-a-a-a-y too hot for me. Once I tossed that off, I was just left with the top sheet for cover. The availability of a light blanket would have been nice, but I kept forgetting to ask for one. For food there is an onsite restaurant and a coffee bar with pastries and muffins. I had one breakfast and one lunch in the restaurant, each around $13. I can't comment on the indoor pool or spa (2nd floor) as I didn't use either. I would certainly stay here again if attending a conference at the Centreplex.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Monmouthshire
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We are a couple who are both Mariott gold members. We chose the hotel because it calls itself City Centre. This is very misleading as its not in the city centre at all, its a dormitory for the conference centre next door. Probably good if you are attending a conference but forget it for sightseeing/vacation purposes.The hotels own information shows "near" as a blank.
On arrival there was a long line of conference delagates at the front desk and no help with our baggage. When we were finally checked in there was no available information about places to eat or things to visit ( no concierge and no help from the one overworked front desk person).. The concierge floor was full but our room was fine. We went to the executive room breakfast at 8.50 where there were dirty tables and it had run out of coffee, juice, preserves and cereal though the eggs and bacon were still there as were another six customers..No staff. At 9.10 we left and at that moment the staff member returned. When we expressed our disappointment she said somewhat sharply that these items has not been replaced as the breakfast ends at 9. Nice building. Bad location except for conferences. Tired staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Walesvisit0r
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I attended a conference at this hotel last week, it really was a great place to have a conference. The hotel rooms and the conference rooms were great. The staff was very friendly, conference food was good and I really enjoyed the two days I was there. Oh by the way, the conference was great too!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Too bad in you’re a Hilton Honors member if you are staying in Macon. This property is great, they have an excellent concierge floor, workout center and good room service. They even provided a bathrobe on request. It is not in the best neighborhood but if you’re a runner there is a very good river run across from the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jonathan L
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed here while attending my brother's college graduation. My room was extremely nice and cozy as well as a wonderful and helpful staff. My only issue was that when I booked through Priceline, I was supposed to receive my breakfast free however I did not. This was minor though and if I ever return to Macon, I will be staying here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We traveled to Macon for a wedding and decided to stay overnight at this Marriott. We have always been happy staying with Marriott. Unfortunately, this stay wasn't as nice as other Marriott stays have been. Apparently, Macon has a paper mill type industrial plant, that produces an odor that fills the city. This outdoor odor filled our room each time our air conditioner turned on the maintain the 70 degree temp set. I have stayed in many cities that have had this general odor, especially late at night or early in the morning. Never have I been affected by this odor in a hotel room. Unable to sleep due to this strong odor, we decided to check out at 2am. The Marriott staff was courteous & apologetic, exPlaining that we weren't the only ones affected. They also offered to call the facility engineer to investigate the issue which would take 2-3 hours. We kindly declined and decided to make the 3 hr trek home to get some odor free sleep. The attendant that checked us out apologized again & did not charge us for any of our 12 hr stay. Marriott is still a favorite hotel of ours. I do hope this Macon hotel takes care of this issue so others don't have sleepless odor filled nights.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank MarcyMoore7
Wende B, General Manager at Macon Marriott City Center, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
What an unfortunate occurrence. We do have a paper mill in the city that emits a foul odor at certain times. I am so sorry you left early and do hope you arrived home without incident. I appreciate your nice comments about the apologic staff, although, there was nothing more we can do about the odor. I have been here five months now and this is the first I have experienced this situation.

Again, very sorry for the experience although out of our control.