“Great hotel-awful smell”

Macon Marriott City Center
Ranked #29 of 67 Hotels in Macon
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We traveled to Macon for a wedding and decided to stay overnight at this Marriott. We have always been happy staying with Marriott. Unfortunately, this stay wasn't as nice as other Marriott stays have been. Apparently, Macon has a paper mill type industrial plant, that produces an odor that fills the city. This outdoor odor filled our room each time our air conditioner turned on the maintain the 70 degree temp set. I have stayed in many cities that have had this general odor, especially late at night or early in the morning. Never have I been affected by this odor in a hotel room. Unable to sleep due to this strong odor, we decided to check out at 2am. The Marriott staff was courteous & apologetic, exPlaining that we weren't the only ones affected. They also offered to call the facility engineer to investigate the issue which would take 2-3 hours. We kindly declined and decided to make the 3 hr trek home to get some odor free sleep. The attendant that checked us out apologized again & did not charge us for any of our 12 hr stay. Marriott is still a favorite hotel of ours. I do hope this Macon hotel takes care of this issue so others don't have sleepless odor filled nights.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank MarcyMoore7
Wende B, General Manager at Macon Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

What an unfortunate occurrence. We do have a paper mill in the city that emits a foul odor at certain times. I am so sorry you left early and do hope you arrived home without incident. I appreciate your nice comments about the apologic staff, although, there was nothing more we can do about the odor. I have been here five months now and this is the first I have experienced this situation.

Again, very sorry for the experience although out of our control.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Through a series of unexpected events it was necessary that my daughter (8 years) join me on a Friday night business trip to Macon.

The staff treated her like a princess. The front desk gentleman answered her questions about the revolving door repeatedly, the wait staff found" just" the right cake for her on the menu.

The hotel was nearly empty that night so they had closed the main resturant early - but the staff said they did not want her to have to eat in the lobby "bar" so they re-opened a booth for us. Please note the lobby "bar" only had two very quiet patrons and the area flows in such a way to the lobby you would not think "little girl is in the bar" - but this was a very nice gesture that as a mother I appreciated.

The pool looked a little cloudy and there was only decaf coffee in the room - but small things compared to how they made my daughter feel.

Also, the shrimp and grits in The Vintage Resturant were the best I have ever had. Perfection.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

First, Happy Belated Birthday to your daughter! We are so happy you spent the evening with us on her special day. Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about the staff. The associates are all genuine in their service and do aim to please in true hospitality style. We are working on our “perfect guestroom” initiatives and appreciate the feedback about the pool condition.

Please return again, maybe on your birthday!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Macon City Center Marriott is a great place to live, for business or pleasure. I've had the opportunity to stay at the property several times this year and I have been satisfied and impressed each time. The staff is courteous, kind, and very concerned about your comfort level. I continue to recommend this hotel to my co-workers. I was very impressed with Ms. Raven Dawson, Revenue Manager and Ms. Denise Williams Front Office Supervisor. They were very professional and helpful, and created a great environment. Kudos and compliments for the Marriott Macon City Center and all of the staff members......

Charles E. Barker

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Mr. Barker,

So appreciative of your favorable comments, especially means a lot when you name the individuals that assisted you. We actually have a special recognition each time an associate is named in the Trip Advisor comments. Please, next time you are here, please introduce yourself, I am the only Wende in the building.

Thank you again.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I recently stayed at the Marriott and I must say Mrs. Denise and Rahelle ( think i spelled it right) at the front desk were amazing. I had the pleasure of going to the concierge Lounge for dinner and the next morning for breakfast. The lady that night ( can't remeber her name) was absolutely the best. She informed us on the upcoming events in Macon. I thought everyone could'nt possibly be this nice. I was so wrong the next morning the exact same thing, the young lady Camille was so adorable. She came over to our table and talked to us like we've been knowing each other for years. She refreshed our juice glasses and made sure we had everything we needed. She is also very good with small children. I must say these ladies are the sole reason why I would visit again and recommend this hotel to ppl. Keep up the good work ladies

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank janie h

WOW! So terrific of you to send kudos to the staff. We circulated your comments right after they were posted. Thank you so much. It means the world to the associates. They do care and helps to give real meaning to why we are here and in Macon “The Center of the Universe”!

Come back often.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stay at the Marriott in Macon twice a year on business for 2 days at a time. I always look forward to coming here because the hotel is so colorful and the rooms are great. The beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms are roomy. The pool is very nice and safe inside. It does close early so we didn't have much time to swim. As far as food goes, most of the food we eat is for our conference but is prepared by the hotel. Nothing to write home about. The one and only little bar/restaurant is nice but service is slow if busy. I usually order the appetizers as my meal which are very good. All of the wait staff are friendly. I agree with other reviewers about the location. It is tricky to get to from I-75 North and is in a location that has nothing else around it. Don't think it would be safe to leave the property by food, especially at night. The last time I made reservations I checked prices on Priceline, Expedia, etc. to find the lowest price and then called the hotel reservation number directly. Even though I stated what Priceline quoted, Marriott would not match the price and charged $15 more per night stating they were full with only one room left. This was during the week with nothing going on. I thought that was poor customer service to someone who stays there twice a year and reserves 2-3 rooms each time plus I'm a Marriott Rewards member. I'll be back there in October for another conference. I do highly recommend this hotel as it is clean, very comfortable and newly built within the last several years. I have always enjoyed my stay and look forward to coming back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear Marriott Rewards member,

Glad you let me know about the service at the bar. We have been retraining associates and are just ready to add a new exciting lounge menu. Your comments about the rates are noted. We do often have large conventions during the mid-week; hence, we do often only have a few rooms left to sell. Our business clientele is growing which adds to positive news for us, but if you are looking for a discounted rate, probably not in your favor. I suggest booking early and do check our online prices; they should be the lowest offered.

Thank you for the feedback. We are just three years old and have been working diligently on our overall cleanliness and perfect guestroom program.

Hope to meet you in October

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stay at Marriott hotels all the time for work, and usually full-service Marriotts are a pleasure. This one is not. I arrived at this hotel about 9:00 PM on July 25, 2012 after a long drive up from Florida. The front desk staff checked me in quickly. The hotel itself is new, and my room was fairly clean. Hotel location is lousy, BTW. You'd better like the hotel, because you won't be walking around the neighborhood for a meal or drinks.

My colleague and I went to the bar to have dinner, and we almost left after 45 minutes of waiting for food and drinks to come out. The young women tending bar seemed to be trying to do their jobs, but they were overwhelmed by the small crowd in the bar area. I got the strong impression that they had never been trained or managed at all.

When our food finally came out, my coworker's wings and fries were undercooked. The fries were nasty. I ordered salmon, and I almost left after waiting 40 minutes for one piece of fish. I don't think anyone is minding the store here. Again, the people serving us were nice and seemed to be trying, but the bar and kitchen staff seem completely untrained and unmanaged. I'll stay at a Courtyard next time I'm in Macon.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

NO, please try us again. We HAVE been retraining AND have a new lounge menu about to be rolled out. We have made management changes in the kitchen as well. It was good to learn the guestroom cleanliness was acceptable; we have been really concentrating on this area.

We would welcome your feedback from a return visit to see if we have improved. Give it some thought. Contact me anytime.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

The best thing I can say about this hotel is that it is very new. And you know what you're getting- very typical Marriott. The downside is that the service is poor. The staff will help you, but grudgingly, certainly not with a smile. The couple of times I stayed there the exercise room was not stocked with towels, or headphones, and when I went to the front desk to inquire, they basically said they couldn't help me. Room service food is adequate, but not outstanding. Overall, just a very average hotel that could be better if the attitude of the staff were better.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

So tough to hear these comments but I know they are part of your experience. We do get so many positive comments about the associates; it was very disappointing to learn. I cannot take away from the time you spent here, but please know we are committed to improve our -every interaction with our guests and take your concerns seriously.

Please know your thoughts have been heard.