“it's the 'little' things....”

Macon Marriott City Center
Ranked #26 of 67 Hotels in Macon
Reviewed May 8, 2012

"alright" from the outside looking in, but i was disappointed with this property, both in quality and location. Yes, Marriott rates it at a "3" (out of eight,) but with rates at $150, I expected more. AWFUL hotel room coffee (even room service)- not the usual Marriott brand, but there IS a Starbucks that you MUST buy from if you drink coffee. The breakfast downstairs did not look appetizing, so we ordered room service- we could not eat it, we left it, I complained and it was removed from our bill. The bar area is not comfy at all- very stark and bright, and the "plether" faces out to the lobby area. I know that the staff was trying to keep the area clean, but the bleach spray made the bar experience still more undesirable. I will say that from the front desk to maintenance, the staff were all friendly and helpful. But, at night, the walls seemed particularly paper-thin- and I wear earplugs to sleep! The "business center" had 2 PCs that were extremely slow and the printers did not work. They still charge for laptop access/Internet use. Furthermore, there is NOTHING to walk to or do in the area- even by car. I could not locate any other hotel options, so we had to be satisfied and stay put for 3 days. IF we have to go back to Macon, I would probably stay here just because there are no other reasonable choices; the other Marriotts 8 miles away (Sheraton Dr.) are completely surrounded by BAD construction.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Macon Marriott City Center

Reviewed May 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this Marriott for 3 nights in early May, 2012, where I attended a conference. The rooms were very comfortable, only complaint is no refrigerator. The beds were so comfy, I've never slept better in a hotel...super quiet with no loud noises at all for the entire stay. While I attended the conference, my husband took advantage of the pool, hot tub and workout room. Free parking is also a plus. The conference was handled well, as far as I could tell. Everything was very clean. We received free WiFi thru our conference group, however, this hotel usually has a policy of $9.95 per day for internet hookup. This, I think, is a major ripoff of all large hotel corporations. Check-in was seamless and fast. We'd stay there again if ever in Macon. The rate we received thru the conference was lower than the usual so that may also be a reason we were so happy.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I'm originally from Macon and now live in Atlanta. I celebrated my sister's birthday this weekend and decided we would stay at this location near our festivities for the weekend. I checked into my room, only to find the beds looked as though a 6 year old had made the beds. Management quickly attemped to resolve the minor issue. I requested then requested extra washcloths and towels. Upon receipt of them, I realized I initially had NO washcloths. (Eyes bucked wide open). After kicking my feet up, I found paper on the floor, whereas the room was no cleaned thoroughly. I took a visit to the indoor pool, only to find that it was not heated. I settled for the whirlpool instead, it was nice :-). This location had a larger crowd than previous visits, so I tried to make the best of it. The staff was very professional and friendly. I then experienced a cold shower the following morning. Now, I'm very picky about where I stay. I'm a marriot rewards member and this experience is below expectations. There were multiple options for half the rate which I would have expected this type of experience. I wil NOT return to this location.

Room Tip: Request rooms which aren't close to elevator or ice machine for a more enjoyable stay.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Wende B, General Manager at Macon Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2012

Dear disappointed:

I too am disappointed in your experience. I certainly apologize on behalf of our team here. The number one item our guests want is a sparkling clean room. We did not meet your expectations. You can be assured your comments, actually, have already been shared with all the staff. We know we can do better and do hope you will give us another chance on a return visit to your home town. We want you to be proud of Marriott and Macon.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

This hotel is great! My only complaints are the not free wifi and the fact that check in is at 3 but make sure your room is ready!!!! The rooms and room service are awesome! The food is wonderful!!!

• Stayed: April 2012
Wende B, General Manager at Macon Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Thank you so much for taking a moment to write about us! We are definitely working on assuring rooms are ready for check- in and timely. The Chef and Tteam have been focused on our overall food quality and service. Your positive comments are hopefully reflective of a positive trend.

Please come again. In the meantime, safe travels.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

In all of my years of traveling and staying in Marriott Hotels as well as other hotels this stay was an extreme disappointment. Upon arrival for check-in around 3:45p.m., myself and other customers stood in line 2-3 hours prior to being able to "check-in" Upon getting to our room (with rumors already circulating from other customers, that linens/towels, and rooms were not ready) it became a reality. There were no pillowcases on the pillows and no wash clothes available. Upon departing our room, we located one of the housekeepers and requested pillowcases and wash clothes. I was very disappointed and unsatisfied with this stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Wende B, General Manager at Macon Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

I do understand your frustration and sincerely apologize for the wait, for the inconvenience, the delay and so much more. We are resolving the many issues, mainly in the laundry and housekeeping areas to prevent any future problems for our valued guests. I realize this does not help you with your impression of us and the time spent dealing with getting settled into your room.

I thank you for your comments and take them to heart.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

I love nice hotels...and will not settle for a hotel that does not fit my criteria. The Marriott was a good choice simply because I have never encountered a problem at a Marriott. We left Savannah and arrived early( 1:30) hoping to check in early. Our rooms were not ready and we were told to come back around 2:30 or 3:00. No, problem, this granted us the opportunity to explore Macon. When we got back to the hotel around 3:00, the lines were so long all I could hear myself say was, "You've got to be kidding!" People had already been waiting for hours and the looks on their faces spoke to the frustration that they were experiencing. I was able to sneak my way to the side to inquire about the two rooms I had reserved. One was ready, but not the other. My friends, a couple from Atlanta gathered their stuff and came to our room. Our room did not have sheets on the bed and we waited patiently for the housekeeper to arrive with sheets and towels. "You've got to be kidding!!" We were trying to get ready for a show that evening and it looked like all of us had to be in one room. My friends decided to go back down and check to see if the line had shortened. No....no...actually it had gotten longer. They cancelled their room and left and went to the Comfort Inn. "You've got to be kidding".... Consequently, our room was a typical "Marriot" room....once we got towels and sheets, but I worried if it had been cleaned thoroughly since they seemed short on help. Trying to make the best of the situation, I thought, at least we had a room with clean towels and sheets on the bed. My friend said the same thing happened the week before when her soroity was hosting an event there. Is this the Marriot's subtle way of saying we don't want African American's business? I was just confused and most of all very, very disappointed! I asked when I checked out, what was the problem and they said several things led to this unfortunate circumstance. Everyone was offered a free breakfast for their inconvenience. When I checked out, I was asked, "How was your stay". My answer, "You've got to be kidding!"

Room Tip: Check to see if there is a show or a major convention in town. If so, you just might experience lon...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Wende B, General Manager at Macon Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

I so value your feedback and I certainly understand your frustration with us. We have experienced challenges the last two week ends. I can assure you, the issue in having rooms ready in both cases was strictly related to our laundry operation processes and equipment. We had an extreme situation in both cases and although, now believe we have identified the root of the problem, this certainly does not make what happened to you better or even right. I sincerely apologize. I was here the entire day and may have interacted with you at some point.

I assure you, I wish to not have the issue repeat as well. Again, thank you for your candid feedback.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

This review is based on our personal experience and our personal opinions. My wife and I wanted to stay at the Macon Marriott City Center in Macon, GA because it was Cherry Blossom time and we wanted to stay at a near downtown hotel. We made a reservation via the Marriott online service for the night of March 24, 2012. For personal reasons we needed two beds. We received an Internet confirmation from Marriott guaranteeing (repeat "guaranteeing") two queen beds for that night.

We arrived at about 6:00 PM on March 24th. It was obvious that there was a large convention at the hotel that night. The man at the reception desk told us that although we had a reservation for two beds there were none available and all that was left was a king bed. In fact, he said, he just "walked" the previous party to another Marriott hotel for the same reason (he also walked the party behind us in line for that reason). Under other circumstances a king bed would have worked, but my wife has had recent leg surgery and we needed two beds - not one. I repeated that but again was told that none was available but that the reception person could walk us to a nearby Marriott Courtyard where they would guarantee two beds. It was about 6:00 PM, we are in our mid 70's, we were tired and not in condition to argue the point. So, I agreed to the transfer.

When we arrived at the Marriott Courtyard (I16 Exit 172) the assistant manager knew nothing about the transfer (which was supposedly called in by the Macon Marriott City Center) and asked if they had given me a letter or form for billing. She explained that as a Marriott Rewards Silver Elite Member I was entitled to have the Macon Marriott City Center hotel pay for the night's stay since they overbooked and could not give me my guaranteed room.

Well, we did stay at the Courtyard and had a comfortable room with pleasant service. But, the Macon Marriott City Center denied compensation to us contrary to Marriott policy on the basis that there was a King room available but we refused it of our own free will. OK, like, what is it about (1) we must have a two bed room (not a single king bed) for previously stated reasons, and (2) "here is the reservation confirmation guaranteeing two beds" that you do not understand? Capisce?

I followed up that experience by spending well over an hour on two calls to the central Marriott Customer Care and Rewards people to no avail at the time of this review. They all agreed (literally) that I was entitled by policy to recompense. However, apparently it is up to the local Marriott to take action, which not only has it not done but in complete arrogance they sent me an email telling me that they did not charge me for that night -like I am supposed to be grateful that after telling me that they could not honor my guaranteed reservation they would not charge me for the inconvenience to me.

Thank heaven a few years ago I enrolled in the Hilton Honors program. Marriott is not the hotel group it was when I was younger and did most of my business traveling. The Hilton group has proved to be an excellent replacement. If this is an example of how Marriott treats its frequent guests then I no longer need them!!!

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family