“Beautiful but not quiet”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Macon West
Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Macon
Rome, Georgia
“Beautiful but not quiet”
Reviewed March 27, 2010

This is our second time staying here, our first time was a few weeks after it opened. I have to say that the rooms are large and beautiful (high ceilings, interesting architecture, beautiful decorations, flat screen TVs, marble bath) and clean, they should have spent more money on the structure as it is quite noisy. However we were traveling with 2 kids- 5 and 3 months and neither were bothered by this and it didn't wake us once we went to sleep so maybe it wasn't that bad. There are few choices in the nice hotel categories that will accept pets of any size, especially ones with interior corridors (a must for us).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Lexington, KY
Reviewed January 3, 2010

This is a new hotel, so everything is in great shape. The rooms are on three stories, and the hallways are large and well lit. The room was clean and had a contemporary style. The beds were high and had pretty decent linens/mattresses for this price range. The bathroom was big and had travel size toiletries in it. It had all the amenities that are typical of this type of hotel that has sprung up everywhere along the highways - microwave, fridge, free internet, and breakfast. Breakfast was the only disappointment. To be competitive, many other hotels have really expanded their breakfast offerings, but the food offered here was very basic - apples, unripe bananas, cold cereal, muffins wrapped in cellophane packages. Apparently there were waffles earlier in the morning, (but no butter or syrup), but they were gone when I got there. It's possible that it's La Quinta policy to offer just a limited amount of food and not necessarily try to feed all the guests, because I've rad similar comments in reviews of LQ hotels in other locations. But, all in all, it was a very comfortable overnight stay in a place that lets pets stay for free, so for the price, it was easy to stop elsewhere for breakfast.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed January 1, 2010

We stay at La Quinta Inns pretty often because of their pet policy. We had enough points for a free night and decided to try the new La Quinta in Macon during our visit to Grandmas. We normally stay at the one on Riverside drive. We were pretty happy with our choice. The room was new with very comfortable furnishing. The bedding was top quality. I'm not sure if anyone was in the rooms around us because we heard nothing, not even the doors closing in the hallways. We were able to use the indoor pool which was a nice treat in December.

I would give this La Quinta a 5 star rating if it wasn't for the breakfast staff. They really didn't seem to care that items had run out. When we arrived there were no hot items left, no coffee, and no waffle mix. Eventually these were all refilled but not until after guest starting forming long lines at each of the stations.

Despite this we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Kimber_jewel
Largo, FL
Reviewed November 30, 2009

For a road trip overnight stay, what I look for is a clean room, well functioning shower, and a comfortable bed. Since I usually travel with my dog, I often stay at La Quintas as they typically deliver all of the above with the bonus of being pet-friendly and affordable. I was very happy to see that a new La Quinta had opened on I-475 in Macon -- more convenient than the one on I-75.

The pros: the hotel delivers the clean room, great shower and comfortable bed, plus 'fridge and microwave in room and flat screen TV. New place, new everything. I predict the furnishings they've chosen will not stand up long to heavy traveler use, but for now it's all in good shape.

The cons: At midnight we were awakened by the folks in the next room having a very loud get-together. I assumed they were in the hallway, but no, this was coming through the walls. The staff could neither get the guests to quiet down (they did try) nor accommodate us with another room, so at 1am we packed up and left. The manager called the next day to say that we would not be charged, and La Quinta did find us a room at the I-75 location, but this should simply not have happened in the first place.

I won't give up on the La Quinta brand, but this location does not live up to their standards.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Flahdagal
Clearwater, FL
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Brand new location on I-475 which seemed most convenient for the route we were traveling.. Place is brand new. For a place to stop for a night it seemed great. New rooms, etc.. But building construction seemed to be, "built on the cheap." Every time the doors, from other rooms closed, you could hear it.. While taking a shower, and leaning my head against the shower wall. I could feel the wall shake due to someone slamming a door. Our room was a connecting room. The space under the doors was at least 1/2 inch. I could clearly hear the party in the room next to us, and even looked under the door. There is another LQ on the North side of Macon. Next time, I'll stay at the LQ North Macon.. On these family trips, I stay at LQ due to our pet traveling with us. The LQ in Valdosta is also nice.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family