“Dirty, smelly - Go elsewhere!!”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Ranked #50 of 68 Hotels in Macon
Sarasota, Florida
“Dirty, smelly - Go elsewhere!!”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

The non-smoking room smelled highly of smoke and we found an empty pack of cigarettes in the room. The wallpaper in the bathroom ended a foot from the floor and bare drywall was exposed. There was no grout along the side of the tile near the wall. There was splatter marks of ??? on the walls. We asked for another room and while it was a little more clean, it also smelled strongly of smoke. The "deluxe" breakfast was not deluxe. I am not a high maintenance girl (heading home from camping) and this place made wish I'd pitched my tent in an empty lot.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank 2vanams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ooltewah, Tennessee
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Upon arrival a large party was going on in the pool area, very loud, people going in and out of several rooms near the pool. Around 6:30pm the party broke up and all but one vehicle left; we heard the partygoers thank the desk clerk for the use of the pool. Only the one vehicle spent the night. There was what appeard to be pubic hair all over the sink area, we should have left then but thought we could tough it out. An SUV kept pulling up next to our vehicle with the bass so loud it rattled the walls. When we called the front desk to report it she replied "Oh, I know who that is and I'll tell them to stop". There were vehicles going in and out constantly and one room with a woman and several men entering and leaving continuously. It's our guess they rent the rooms for purposes other than a good night's rest. At 1:30 am it was finally too much and we left and went next door the the Best Western, which was one of the nicest rooms we ever stayed in. Do not stay in this motel!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RJC369

Travelers are raving about these Macon hotels

Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Ask to see the room first before you pay!! You have to see what train wreck this place is to believe it. Bring a video camera just to get peek and put on Youtube!! You will laugh so hard when you see how bad this place really is. My receipt said "NO REFUND AFTER 10 MINUTES"! Tell them you won't pay a dime until you see the room, then get pictures for freinds. This place is truly the shame of Macon GA. Some of the rooms have been "renovated" with newer carpet and shower tiles, but the workmanship is laughable to say the least. If you get a bad room, put on a hazmat suit! The furniture and appliances must have been from the salvation army or a dump. The carpet has puke and blood stains everywhere. My freind rented the room next to mine and he had to use my shower. I walked into his room to take a look at how bad the shower was. The white grout was stained black from mold and the tile walls were cracked wide open where water would actually flood into the walls. We were laughing at people checking into their rooms and then running back to office for a refund. It was classic! There was a coin operated clothes dryer that squeaked so loud you could hear it out to the freeway. Try sleeping with noise LOL!! I had been driving for 15 hours and didn't feel like going up and down the street to find a different hotel. I pulled back my sheets and slept in my clothes. WARNING!! DO NOT BRING SMALL CHILDREN TO THIS HOTEL! This is not a hotel for little kids, if you know what I mean.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank tollytime
kb972001
Reviewed April 1, 2010

Please do not stay here. We arrived at 5:00 a.m. just to sleep, when I went in to the room, it stunk, the toilet was filthy, there was a big hairball like someone would have in their brush lying on the floor, it was not vacuumed, the mirrors were filthy, the nightstand was filthy, I did not want to touch anything. We left. It sounded so quaint but it was very very bad.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank kb972001
Florida
Reviewed December 30, 2009

A friend and I were staying over night in Macon, GA and our usual stop at the Best Western had no vacancies. So we decided to try the Country Hearth Inn and Suites next door. The room was probably $20 cheaper than the surrounding hotels (clue #1: you get what you pay for). As we are driving to our room, we see a "shady" figure walking around talking on his cell phone. We actually never mentioned this to each other until we left, but he did give us both bad feelings about the security of this hotel. We get to our room which upon entering has one of the worst smells (and it was a nonsmoking room). The tile floors in the bathroom area looked like they hadn't really been cleaned in a very long time. Maybe they did a quick wipe down with water and a mop, but still not very clean. We checked for bed bugs, which luckily we didn't see anything crawling around (and we checked all the corners of the 2 beds). On top of which, we could hear everyone in the surrounding hotel rooms. A kid screaming for mommy, a man that sounded like he was in our bathroom, and a maintenance man that sounded like he was about to come into OUR room. The door wouldn't completely lock and the fridge was disgusting beyond belief. We went to the desk immediately after inspection to request our money back. The receptionist was very understanding and suggested we try another room. I try to give the benefit of the doubt so we looked at the second room, which had an even worse smell upon entering, and there were the dead crunched bugs. We got our money back and booked it out of there! I only wish I had taken pictures before we left. :(

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
ohio
Reviewed March 17, 2009

My mother and I were traveling to my sisters in southern Ga., was tired so we stopped at a rest area and picked up a free motel guide. After looking and discussing several options, we chose this motel because they always look so nice and we always wanted to stay at a Country Hearth Inn. They always look so homey. It advertised newly rennovated, in room coffeemaker, fridge, microwave, hair dryer and free wi-fi. When we got to our room, were we ever shocked. The only rennovation we could see was the lobby. There was no fridge, microwave, or coffee maker. It did have a hair dryer but I wouldn't use it. The room was so out dated it looked nasty. When you sat on toilet, it rocked. And there was no wi-fi unless you were in the front of the building. I would not recommend this motel to my worst enemy.

• Stayed March 2009
1 Thank sueh2
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed October 16, 2008

I researched the web to find a decent hotel in Macon west side where I was visiting family. Country Hearth Inn seemed to be a nice modest hotel so I went ahead and booked two nights at corporate rate. The rest of the lodging places in the same area seemed all to be motels, and I really wanted to stay away from any of them and be in a decent hotel.

I arrived at the hotel just to realize that actualy it was a motel with room entrance directly from the parking area. It looked nothing like in their web site pictures. Their site mentions as room amenities "Interior Room Entrance " and even green eco-friendly rooms but I did not see any of those, just a below average looking motel.

I went to the Reception and explained that I have a reservation but wanted to see the room first. I got the room key and went to check it out. When I opened the room a strong acid nasty smell just almost knocked me over. The room was looking below the most average motel room I've ever seen, everything looked dirty and old and I did not have to look too close or spend more than a minute in there.

I went back to the Reception and explained that their web site is missleading and that actually this is a motel and not a hotel and is nothing like I was expecting and could not stay there. And I just left.

Sure enoguh two nights reservation has already charged to my credit card (because I did not cancelled at least 24 hours before my reservation night). I will be disputing these charges anyway as soon as I get my card statement.

For $25 more per night (government rate) I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express nearby that was a hotel indeed and a prety nice and new one.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple