“Exceptional 2 night stay until combative, inappropriate encounter with front desk”

Holiday Inn Macon North
Ranked #41 of 67 Hotels in Macon
Newnan, GA
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I was in town to assist my mother with final arrangements for her sister who was in critical condition at MCCG. My husband booked everything with his Hilton points for an original one night stay. After a long day at the hospital, I checked in around 5pm. Fabulous location, very east to find, and right across from Mercer stadium. I felt very safe & secure. Lovely lobby area, cheery, inviting, complete with small bar & restaurant. Amy checked me in and she was an absolute delight. I can't stress enough how important this was to me after an afternoon of discussing funeral arrangements. The room was immaculately clean, very comfortable & I was pleased. The bedding was heaven. At the last minute, I needed to make another night's stay. Amy verified there was room the night before just in case, so on day 2 I called the front desk to make those arrangements early that morning. I was online booking to use my points, and called to the desk because it appeared I would have to switch rooms. All was well, Ms B assisted me & said she saw I was using points and she'd take care of everything from there.
I changed rooms and went on with my trip. The breakfast is made to order, and it was amazing. The service was cheery, people were smiling, polite--a total pleasant and perfect experience & stay. I would highly recommend this property. The one and only negative resulted when I received my bill for night 2 and saw I was billed in full instead of using my points like I had pre-arranged. It turns out there was a misunderstanding with Ms B, which is fine, it happens, life goes on. The problem is when I called down to inquire, Ms B was immediately combative & explosive, beyond inappropriate responses. In fact, after her tongue lashing was complete, she tried to hang up in my face. I asked for a manager which she informed me there 'wasn't one there, maybe I should call Hilton because she's done with this issue'. Ok, Ms B, your point was well taken. I have never been addressed in that manner, and I was on fire angry. Perhaps the General Manager will help Ms B with proper training in dealing with very minor misunderstandings for the future. I am still waiting for that manager to follow up with me regarding this situation. Not so much as a peep from anyone yet.
I was so thankful that my stay was so lovely until this point. It happened at checkout, and even though it left a bad taste in my mouth, I won't let it overshadow the efforts of the other team members here that worked so hard to make my stay so very pleasant in a time of bereavement.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
rahul1311, General Manager at Holiday Inn Macon North, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Valuable Guest,
Thank you for taking time in filling out this survey when recently staying with us. Your comments are very valuable to us. The entire team at our hotel is extremely apologetic for billing concern when staying with us. This has opened up an opportunity as a great learning tool for our team members and making them every guest stay a memorable one. We again apologize and hope to be given another opportunity to serve in near future. Thank you for the business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Marietta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Our stay was very nice. The hotel was very clean and peaceful. Its sits far enough back from I 75 to not hear trucks every second. The location is excellent, Close to many restaurants , even walking distance.. The staff was very friendly and overall i would stay again . It also was a good value for the money. We enjoyed our weekend very much at the Holiday Inn. I really liked the key to get on the elevator for added security.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
rahul1311, General Manager at Holiday Inn Macon North, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Valuable Guest,
Thank you for taking time in filling out this survey when recently staying at Holiday Inn Macon North. Our entire team is thrilled to hear your feedback. Guest safety is one of our primary concern when staying at our hotel. Thats why we added feature of guest room key operable elevators to ensure only registered guest or hotel team members have access to all guest floors. We appreciate your loyalty in Holiday Inn and look forward to serve again with Southern Hospitality!!! :)
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stayed here for the Macon Film Festival. Very good value. Close to many fast food restaurants and gas stations. Location is perfect.

Only problem: No wash cloths in our room. Nit-picky, I know.

Lots of breakfast options for free.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
rahul1311, General Manager at Holiday Inn Macon North, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Valuable Guest, Thank you for taking time in filling out this survey when recently staying at Holiday Inn Macon North. Our entire team is thrilled to hear your feedback. I would also like to take this moment and apologise for an honest ignorance of not supplying enough eash cloth in your room. We appreciate your loyalty in Holiday Inn and look forward to serve again with Southern Hospitality!!!
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Arrived early evening and my room was still being cleaned when I walked in.
Right next to a train track. Train woke me up once or twice.
Cheap fake wood flooring throughout, giving it a commercial feel. carpet would have been better.
The fake wood floor was loose near the desk area and concrete dust was coming up through the joints in the floor. This made for unpleasant sounds and feeling as I rolled over it constantly in the desk chair.
There was a 2nd AC unit right next to the desk in the room which I could not figure out how to turn off and it just blew air and was loud the whole time.
I didn't like the sound on the TV... it was muffled.
There was a small stain which in my opinion was blood on the white bath floor mat.
Dinner service at the restaurant in the foyer was lacking. There was one person handling the bar and the tables which made for slow service. It wasn't necesarily her fault, just under-staffed. The spinach and artichoke dip was room temperature at best. There was probably more butter than potato in the mashed potatoes.
The faucet in the bathroom mad a very lound jack-hammering noise when turned on. It took about 6 tries each time to get it to where it would stop.
The entry door to the room stuck which made it hard to open and would not close on it's own which I thought was a security risk.
This hotel lacked the all-around professional atmosphere that I am used to. I will not stay here again. Too many others who get it right. Rm 328.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel, like on the other side where there isn't a train track.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
rahul1311, General Manager at Holiday Inn Macon North, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Valuable Guest,
Thank you for taking time in filling out this survey for recent stay at Holiday Inn Macon North. Your coments are very valuable to us. On behalf of entire team at our hotel would like to take this opportunity and apologise for all inconvenience that had incurred. Your comments are very valuable to us and have been forwarded to every team member at this hotel. We ensure to give you the better side of our product and service when staying at our facility again. Please again accept our sincere apologies. We appreciate your loyalty into IHG Brand of hotels.
Douglas, GA
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I'm really torn by giving this hotel a poor rating because it really is a nice and clean hotel with a new feel and modern vibe, but this hotel is right next to a busy train track. I've been here for an hour now and the train has come by at least 3 times freaking me out every time thinking something is about to plow into the hotel. I am only praying trains don't run all night long on it otherwise I just paid for an expensive night of no sleep. What makes it worse is that I'm a Platinum IHG rewards member and was stuck on the train side of the hotel when the hotel did not look fully booked, plus on my room key holder they had me originally in a room on the other side which would have surely helped, but it was scratched out and stuck me on the train side. I am so wishing I would have stayed across town at the Holiday Inn Express which is a nice place with no unpleasant surprises, but wanted to give this place a shot as I like to try hotels I haven't stayed at before. I should have read the reviews before I booked, but I'm so use to expecting excellence at Holiday Inn hotels that I didn't even think twice about it, which is a lesson learned for sure.
Secondly, being a Platinum member I stay at IHG properties frequently and wish they were all on the same page when it comes to helping Platinum members have good stays since we certainly have paid for it if nothing else. Some IHG hotels give upgrades where others (including this one obviously) did not, some offer a complimentary bottle of water and snack and others do not (I did get offered a bottle of off brand water). Some offer the 500 bonus points instead of a complimentary bottle of water and snack and this hotel did not. Some Holiday Inn hotels offer a free complimentary breakfast to Platinum members and others (including this one) did not.
There is nothing I know you can do about the train other than request a room on the opposite (front) side of the hotel, but the rest I'm sure they could work on, especially for a hotel that charges over $109 a night. Being completely truthful and fair you have a 50% chance of it being a great stay or horrible one depending on which side of the hotel you are on. Unlucky for this Platinum IHG member I was placed on the train side.

Room Tip: Never stay on the back side of the hotel due to the train.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
rahul1311, General Manager at Holiday Inn Macon North, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Valuable Guest
Thank you for taking time in filling out this survey when staying at Holiday Inn Macon North. We do and always appreciate your loyalty into IHG Group of hotels. Thank you for been a Platinum member. On behalf of entire team at hotel I would sincerely like to apologise for inconvenience of rail road noise due to track located in close vicinity in back side of hotel. We always strive to honor all guest front side of building on special request or first come first basis. We hope to be given another opportunity to earn your business. Please call us in advance and request room located in front of building. We will go above and beyond to honor this request. Sincere Apologies again on behalf of entire Holiday Inn Macon North team and management.
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

If you stay here be sure to ask for a room in the front of the building. My boyfriend and I stayed here and were put in a room on the back side, within the first 15 minutes 2 trains had passed by! We were switched to a room on the other side no problem though, a 2 queen room instead of king, but it worked fine.

The rooms were very nice, the bed was super comfortable, bigger pillows would have been nice, but they were okay. The bathroom was amazing, but the sink was really high, not good if you have kids. I'm 5'5" and the sink ended maybe 5 inches above my belly button, it made it hard to wash my face at night.

The staff wasn't the most welcoming, they weren't rude, but it would have been nice to at a least get a smile from them.

We didn't have breakfast here, it wasn't included but was only $3.99 all you can eat. The coffee machine was broken when we stayed (the guy working there was nice and told us before though). There was an okay selection: sausage, bacon, eggs, grits, cereal, and bagels/toast, but waffles, pancakes, or french toast would have been nice to see and would have been breakfast there more appealing to me.

Stayed January 2014
rahul1311, General Manager at Holiday Inn Macon North, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Valuable Guest,
On behalf of entire Holiday Inn Macon North management and team would like to take this opportunity and thank you for sharing your thoughts. We as a team at our hotel always strive to make every guest stay a memorable stay. I would like to also take this opportunity and thank you for great comments and apologise for any inconvenience that incurred when staying with us.
We hope to earn your business again when visiting Macon. Thank you again for the business.
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

They charge way more and don't include breakfast if you don't book online. Stay at an express and save the hassle!! Beware noisy neighbors and lack of hot water! The location is not bad if you are willing to walk a while for dinner. And why they stop serving breakfast at 9 am is beyond me. Many guests are turned away!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Macon North, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear James R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls and for the dissatisfaction you encountered with our service level. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Dhan M