“Nice place on hotel row”

Holiday Inn Macon North
Ranked #43 of 67 Hotels in Macon
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is a nice hotel located on a cul de sac full of hotels. It still feels new and has an updated, sleek and modern design, especially in the rooms. Check in was a breeze with a friendly clerk. After reading reviews that mentioned train noise, I asked for a room on the front side. I was told there were none available since the hotel was sold out. The clerk mentioned I was on the 4th floor so it would be less of an issue, and honestly the frequent trains didn’t really bother us. The clerk smiled and said next time I should call a few days before my arrival and request a room facing the street and they could accommodate me.

The room was spacious and included a raised king bed that I found super comfortable, with a nice quality mattress. They really scrimped on the size of the pillows, though, which were small, with a couple of them almost decorative size. It was one thing I didn’t like about the room. The floors were made of some type of material that resembled cork or bamboo. Personally, I prefer the warmth of carpet, but I suspect the material is good for wear and tear and maintenance. One nice touch I wasn’t expecting was a small counter/kitchenette with cupboards, coffee maker, microwave and a small refrigerator. It would be especially convenient if staying for more than one night.

The bathroom was nice but the sink, while very trendy and modern, is not functional. The sides are too high and the stopper, in the middle of the sink, causes water to splatter out of the sink and onto your shirt. Take care when turning the water on or you’ll get doused.

There was also a work desk, great for using the free wireless internet service. Surprisingly there was not a waste can in the room. And the one in the bathroom was a small plastic can that look liked it came from WalMart and didn’t match the color scheme too well. It certainly wasn’t in keeping with the rest of the décor. Just something I noted but it didn’t really affect the quality of our stay.

One nice security touch is the inability to board the elevator without inserting a room key. However, I was surprised there wasn’t a room safe for locking up wallets, cameras or laptops. I’m used to that in almost any hotel I book.

All-in-all the Holiday Inn North Macon won’t disappoint, although I didn’t think it was a great value, even with a discounted rate from an internet travel site.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front side if you think the train noise will disturb you.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Macon North, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear atlhppwt,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. I am very happy to know that the room you were given sufficed your needs and you liked our modern design. Your additional comments regarding having room safes have been taken noted of and will be considered for enhancements needed at our property.

Again, thank you for the feedback and if there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty. I hope we are able to host you again in the future!

Regards,

Pam G.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Absolutely unbelievable! The phine was not answered after several calls. After we arrived I understood why there was no desk agent behind the desk. Then a Man arrived in his car and finally answered the phone . He was not in uniform and had just driven up and parked under carport. We tried to order dinner and it stated in the menu that the in room dining was open until 9.30p.m. , we called at 8.30 and was told that they closed the kitchen early due to LOW occupancy!!! What operator even shares that information with a guest. There is a large party here this evening and as I lay in bed right now it is so loud my family cannot sleep.. The rooms are not clean, there is mold by the AC unit. There are missing fixtures in our room. I am shocked that this hotel would pass inspection to remain a Holiday Inn given the service issues.

• Stayed: March 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Macon North, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear samphiabenwill,

Ferdinand G.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

The hotel was clean and well kept. The room was spacious and clean. Best hotel breakfast I have experienced. Staff was great as well. If looking for comfort,convenience and well kept, then this is a great deal for the money spent.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stopped for a quick overnight here on our way to Orlando from Windsor, Ontario. The hotel is brand new, so its very nice and attractive when you first walk in. The front desk was very helpful and gave us a great rate of $99 for the night. The pool area is really beautiful. Great pool for the kids. Salt water, and only about hip deep for adults the whole way through it. Nice work out area too. The rooms were nice. Hardwood floors, which was unusual for a hotel like that. The bathroom was a little strange - there was a bowl-type sink which was nearly impossible to use to wash my face in (I'm 5'4" tall). Looked nice, but not really usable.
We went for dinner in the hotel later on in the evening. The service was really poor, the food was not great. But unfortunately, there's not much for dining options right off the highway and we were so beat from a day of driving. We would preferred to stay in the Hampton Inn across the parking lot (they have free breakfast!). The breakfast at this hotel wasn't free, but was pretty reasonable ($4.99 per adult, kids free). Would recommend as a quick overnight stop.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank PatriciaTraveller
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Macon North, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear PatriciaTraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the service you received from the restaurant staff. We were disappointed to read that when you visited the restaurant you did not find it to your tastes, we will review for possible modifications so to better accommodate our guest in the future. We do apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for again for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Ferdinand G

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were having huge reno work being done to our house and I just needed a night away from the mess! It was late and we had tried another hotel that was closer to us and it was a nightmare and I asked for our money back. So we decided to go where we knew we wouldnt be disappointed...Holiday Inn Express! As always, the room was super clean and the staff was top-notch...if I need a local hotel, this is the only place for us!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank only5cats
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was in town for a film festival. I was warned that there was some "road issues" near the hotel and that wasn't exactly close to my venue (they were wrong on both parts, alas) but because I had a special rate, I decided to stay.

I flew in on a red eye and requested to check in early (like 10:00 AM... so, you know, not great for a hotel), but the front desk attendant said, "we can do that" (they were full the night before), but it is a room facing the railroad.

Just know, I live in LA. Never once heard that railroad while I was sleeping the entire time I was there. So if you see reviews below that mention it, you should request to not be railroad side if you're a light sleeper.

I slept GREAT. Great bed. Actually canceled my morning plans to stay in bed.

GREAT staff.

Room was impeccable. Nice hard wood floors. Great bed. Coffee maker. Nothing remotely "not clean."

BIG room.

Free parking.

Near a Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts and anything else you need for food.

A short drive into downtown Macon. But Macon goes to bed after 8 PM anyways. There is only one major chain hotel in downtown, but they are nearly double the price.

I saw laundry on my floor, but didn't use it.

I will stay here again on my next trip.

Very happy.

Room Tip: I heard the railroad. I kinda loved it, because it was soft ambient noise when I was awake.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Chad D
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I don't typically stay at Holiday Inn's but this one was pretty good. The hotel is two years old and modern. There are are few picky design things I would have done differently, but over all it fit the bill for a one night stay.
The list of standard hotel review things such as: service, was decent; room, was clean; bed, was mostly comfortable (mattress a bit hard); a full hot breakfast buffet, was pretty good for $3.99.
In terms of design issues, my biggest picky thing is the lack of carpet in the room. They used vinyl flooring that looked like wood. Kind of cheesy if I might say so. Carpet may cost more to maintain but it helps with acoustics and the feel of comfort.
Also, the heating/cooling system is LOUD! It woke us up and had to turn it off. However,quiet inexpensive systems are non-existent so most budget hotels have these regardless of age.
I did like the above-counter sink on top of the granite counter in the bathroom. Nice modern touch.
Our room was not on the train track side so it was quiet (when the heater wasn't on).
Overall, I would recommend staying there if you are passing through or on a budget and can get a good rate.

Room Tip: The train does go by in the middle of the night so ask for a room on the opposite side.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business