“Has potential to be a great hotel...”

Holiday Inn Macon North
Ranked #39 of 67 Hotels in Macon
Chicago
“Has potential to be a great hotel...”
Reviewed October 18, 2011

If housekeeping did their job. My husband and I checked in here on a road trip from Chicago to Tampa. The lobby area is very nice and modern and everyone working was extremely friendly. The first room we received looked okay, until we realized that the trash hadn't been emptied in both the room and bathroom and was quite full. It made us wonder if the room had been cleaned at all. They moved us into another room, and the trash had been taken out, but the linens had stains and there were seriously white powder handprints on the headboard. Hmmm. A little strange, but we didn't want to be "those" people who find something wrong with every room. If housekeeping was better about cleaning, this hotel would be fantastic. Unfortunately, I can't say I would recommend staying here. Breakfast was great, though, and the location for people traveling down I-75 is ideal!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side away from the train tracks!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Beautiful stay from the time we checked in until the time we left. Very sleek and modern hotel. The front desk staff were very polite, friendlly and helpful. The rooms were very very nice. Nice dark hardwood floors, 40"-42" flat screen tv, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, all of the amenities needed. Comfortable bed. Nice large walk in shower. The pool, and fitness room were very clean. Lovely outside patio by the railroad track. Love the $1.00 shots everytime a train comes by.:) The full breakfast buffet was great.(fruit, cereal, grits , eggs, sausage, hash browns and more) One of the breakfast staffers brought a pitcher of hot coffee of our choice to our table for our own use which was a nice added touch. The breakfast staff made you feel welcomed and were very courteous. The only complaint is that the air conditioner was loud and didn't do a good job of regulating the temperature. The room would get uncomfortably warm before the air conditioner would come back on. All in all we loved this hotel especially for the price and would highly recommend it to others who are seeking a geat stay at a great price!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa0835
Effingham, Illinois
Reviewed August 22, 2011

My family stayed at this hotel the last week of July for one night on our way to Tybee Island for vacation. It was a rewards stay so I cannot comment on the cost of a room per night. We found the hotel to be very convenient for our travels as it was just off I-75 and there were plenty of places nearby to grab a bite to eat (we chose 5 Guys).

The staff was very friendly and courteous. When we returned from dinner the manager saw us walk in and offered the three girls (2, 7, & 11) a free ice cream snack, which they thoroughly enjoyed. I also enjoyed the $5 pitchers in the bar that evening that could be taken back to the room.

The rooms were clean, had a laminate hardwood floor, flat screen TV, and small refrigerator. The bathrooms were nice with an elevated bowl sink, which was fine for adults, but a regular sunken sink would have been much easier for the kids. The beds were quite comfortable.

The pool was also very clean and larger than I would have expected. As a bonus the entire pool area was kept at a comfortable temperature. I've been to many hotel pools where the pool area is extremely warm, humid, and uncomfortable if you're not in the water.

In the morning there was also free breakfast.

For anyone traveling through the area or staying for a longer period of time i would recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank EffinIllini
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I stayed at this Holiday Inn outside of Macon Ga for one night, on my way to Atlanta Ga. From my Home Atlanta is only six hours away but I like Macon Ga. so I checked online for the price I wanted to spend. And I found this room rate at $85.00 dollars per night. Across the street was a Hampton Inn, Red Roof Inn, and a La Quinta Inn. And next door to the Holiday Inn was a Candlewood suites. So I had a lot of choices and I went with the Holiday Inn for the price and style of the Hotel was right for me.

I arrived early being Macon Ga is only four hours from home. And the room I asked for wasn't ready when I arrived around 1:30pm but the front desk clerk said we have a room on the 5th floor that is ready. So I took it faced the railroad tracks behind the Hotel but that was ok with me. The room was Nice hard wood or fake hard wood floors I didn't like the chair and foot stool on the right side of the bed. So I moved them to the left side near the window. In the room the microwave, coffee pot and refrigerator were place off to the left side of the hallway with closet. And the bathrom was on the right side with a very heavy door which wouldn't stay open. I used a trash can to keep the door from closing. During your shower or hot bath the mirror would fog up with the door closed. The bathtub is small so if your a large person watchout! I also found out the bathtub was easy to fill but hard to empty? And when you oped the closet door the Ironing board banged at the bottom. There should be a brace to hold the Ironing board to the bottom of the door. Funny I didn't notice this when I checked into room 516 but there is a crack on the ceiling above the desk all the way over to the other side of the room. I also noticed a cracked window at the end of the 5th floor hallway loking out towards Candlewood Suites.

The Hotel has an exercise room and a heated indoor salt water pool which is a nice size. The one thing I did noticed is some of the patio tiles around the pool near the door coming into the pool were loose and one could fall down easy. The outside patio was large with a lot of chairs and tables but after a fast moving rain storm the patio flooded and didn't drain till the sun baked the water off.

The Hotel also has a full service bar and dining room that has a free Breakfast in the morning. And dinner from 6pm - 10pm most nights. I didn't have dinner the night I stayed 8/12/11 I ate at one of the worst Red Lobsters I have eaten at in a long time. The only good thing I can say about the Red Lobster in Macon Ga is the Manager picked up my tab.

The view out the window was of the woods and railroad track that Norfolk Southern Trains ran on. The kudzu was blocking some of the views towards the train tracks and if the Hotel was smart should remove this nasty plant. The view to the tracks should be open I think its cool to see a train once in awhile. Yes I know some people wouldn't like to see or hear the train. But a lot of people would love to see and hear them even late in the night or early mornings seven days a week. If I was in charge of this Hotel I would add on to the rear patio and make it easier to view the trains and let train buffs all over that this Hotel is a great place to see Trains!

This is a First for me too get up to your room you must have your card key to get into the elevator.

Room Tip: The North rooms face the woods and train tracks and the South rooms face the other Hotels and I-75.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank itellitlikeitis
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed here two weeks in a row for work, and the weeks provided two different experiences. Cleanliness is everything to me, first room on the 5th floor was very clean. Since this was the priority club floor, there where cookies, coffee and milk every afternoon. Overall, a very pleasant experience. The next week I get a room on the second floor. As soon as I walked in I was greeted by dust bunnies on the faux hardwood floor. Though the bathroom was clean the rest of the room was not. Against my own instincts I lifted the bed skirt on one of the beds and found crumbs and intact potato chips. I will stay here again but if I get a room as dirty as that one I'll adamantly request another.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank jehardin
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Turned up late, just before midnight. I had booked the room using my HI priority points, were allocated a room on the priority club floor. Room very clean and I liked that it wasn't carpeted.
Had a swim, only 3 foot deep, should be a least 4. Breakfast was fine, had more choice at other Holiday Inn, no juice no hot water for tea. The lady got water for us but we didn't ask for any juice.
Never heard a train. Would stay again

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 8, 2011

we were tired and hungry and my wife wanted to stop driveing. We chose to stop at exit 169 and get some prices and ended up chooseing the Holiday inn for they gave us the best rate. the front desk seemed sorta preoccupied since they were no were to be found at first and when they came to the front desk they acted as nothing was the matter since they were not paying attention to their job. They didnt seem happy either. something managment should look into. After we settled in we ate at the bar. The bartender was nice and we ate some burgers and they were good. The bar specials were great. $5.00 pitchers of draft beer. The room was clean and the decor was nice. we slept well on the comfy mattresses. The next morning we were surprised to se a HUGE variety for our free complimentary breakfast. Eggs, sausage, grits, home fries, french toast, variety of milk and juices, fruit , danishes and muffins. You cant get that anywere at any other hotel. A+ for breakfast. Staff in the restaurant that morning were really nice also. Over all I would stay here again. I read some complaints on here about the train. just wanted to mention I didnt hear it once the whole time.

Room Tip: bowl sinks will spray you if you turn them up to high ( bad design)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family