“Filthiest, new hotel we've ever seen."”

Holiday Inn Macon North
Ranked #41 of 67 Hotels in Macon
Louisville, Kentucky
“Filthiest, new hotel we've ever seen."”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed here on Sunday night during return trip home from Orlando. We booked this hotel because we saw that it was new and we consistently have good experiences with updated Holiday Inn properties. As we drove up, we were happy to see that the hotel was new and beautiful. However, as soon as we entered the lobby, it was obvious that the hotel was not staffed properly. The lobby floor was visibly dirty with footprints and small pieces of trash. As we walked around the lobby and the hallway to the conference room you'd think the property didn't own a broom or vacuum! The check-in person was polite and did upgrade our room to a suite when we requested, but she refused to give a discounted rate even though the property appeared to be deserted with only 2 or 3 cars in the parking lot. The lobby was not the only poorly maintained section of the facility. The elevator floor had not been swept and there were multiple handprints and smears on the walls. Two members of the housekeeping staff were still cleaning rooms on the 3rd floor at 3:45 when we checked in. Outside each door were piles that the maids had swept out and still needed to be vacuumed. Bags of trash lined the halls. We could hardly get the luggage cart through there! Our suite had been straightened, but it was far from clean. All three tables were dusty, and every piece of upholstered furniture was visibly stained with food. The bathrooms did not smell fresh. Although the floors had been swept, the corners and spots not in the walkway were visibly dirty. The duvet cover on the bed was stained in 3 places. There was a dirty washcloth hanging over the shower rod. Empty bottles of shampoo and ponytail holders were beside the jacuzzi tub which was broken. Our daughter wanted to swim, so we reluctantly took her to the pool area. Used towels and several empty Coke cans and other miscelleaneous trash were strewn around the chairs. She begged to stay anyway, but quickly changed her mind when she realized that the water was ice cold! Had we not been exhausted and needed a place to conduct a previously scheduled business call at 5 pm, we would have left the hotel at that point. Sadly our stay did not improve. The sheets on the sofa bed had not been changed and were stained. The staff did bring fresh sheets promptly on request, but with no apologies or questions to ask how our stay was going. We also did not realize that the train tracks were located directly outside our window until the whole room began to vibrate and continued throughout the night. The next day, there were more staff present, but we've never seen a more lackadaisical bunch of people in our lives! At 9 am the young man who appeared to be mopping the lobby moved the trash from place to place with the mop and didn't attempt to move as we carted bags outside or even to move for our luggage cart when my injured husband attempted to limp through. When I went to the front desk to check out, the person barely looked up from her computer screen to tell me, "You already done it. You don't get nothing else." Two other staff members walked by us during our trips through the lobby. One woman said hello, but did not ask about our stay. She must have seen it on our faces. We have never been more disappointed in a $150/night room in our entire life. This is not the only hotel in Macon. Please, please stay somewhere else. It's obvious that this hotel is new, but without proper maintenance and even basic housekeeping, it won't look new for long. If I were the owner, I'd literally "clean house," and then I'd find a staff who seems to value the fact that they are employed in this tough economy. My husband's parting words about this hotel, "Lipstick on a pig...".

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I specifically asked about train and my need for quiet room at check-in. Two different staff answered my question of how often does the train come by with "oh not very often". The correct, honest answer was apparently several times an hour! Do not stay here if you want to get any sleep. I am not a light sleeper and train is very loud when it passes. My room also had dirty pillow and sink was not clean.

• Stayed July 2011
Mount Sterling, Kentucky
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Hardwood floors in the room was a nice touch. Free wireless internet available. The indoor pool is big, but definately not heated during our stay. There is a railroad behind the hotel but I did not hear it while we were there. Many restaurants around. The free breakfast is not good. I would recommend the Starbucks down the street.

Room Tip: Avoid breakfast.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed June 18, 2011

We checked in late to find food on the walls, stains on the chairs, dirty sheets on the sofa bed, no toilet paper, a hair dye box in the kitchenette cabinets, full trash bags hidden (and a pizza box) under the kitchenette and bathroom sinks and to top it off--a live roach in the bathroom. As if the train waking you up at 5:30 am was not bad enough, another roach crossed our path on our way to the lobby. We moved hotels the next morning and would have done so the night before if it was not so late and we could have reached the manager.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We attended a wedding here memorial day weekend, and the front desk clerk was not very friendly or helpful. My husband had a long hair in his salad at the reception,and the server said "well it wasnt mine, I didnt serve you". We left our table for ten minutes to go to our room to change and returned and our drinks had been taken away. I told the server this, and she did provide me with another wine. She was very helpful, her name was Kendra and the front desk clerk later Denise-- was very nice. We went down to the pool and were shocked to see it was a small, square pool and only 3' deep, for babies I guess, very misleading. We went down for breakfast on the Sunday at 0930 hrs.and where you would normally find bread, bagels, pastries etc there was 2 slices of bread. I couldnt find any tea bags so my husband asked the lady taking care of the breakfast and she came back, gave him a bagel and walked by me. I asked her if she had the tea and she said, we only had lemon or Earl Grey. I said I would like an Earl Grey. She was not very friendly at all and looked as if she had just got out of bed. She told someone who was also there for the wedding, that she was having a bad day!! Once i obtained a tea bag I went to get hot water, it wasnt even warm. I just gave up and left it there. We stopped on the way home for something to eat.

Room Tip: Make sure you state if queen beds or a king.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Hermitage, Tennessee
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I planned on staying at the Hampton INN I-75 on my travel to Nashville, TN. I did not want to reserve a room in the event something happened on my route that prevented me on making it to the hotel. When I spoke with the lady on the phone at Hampton INN two days before I left South Florida and mentioned I would be there on a Wednesday, she said we have plenty of rooms. When I arrived to check in, i was told they had no available rooms. I was shocked, when I asked, I was told there was a festival in town. You mean to tell me the lady who worked there for 16 years did not know there was a festival in town and the hotel could be filled up. Thanks Hampton INN. So with hestitation i went to the Holiday Inn across the street. I have seen Holiday Inn deteriote over the years so i was cautious. When I approached the desk I noticed, wow the lobby was impressive, I hope the rooms matched. I was told they did have one double bed room left so I grabbed it. My daughter and I went to the room and was floored. Hardwood floors in the room, so if you have allergies, this is a godsend. Updated bathrooms with rea wood furniture sink in the bath and a bowl type sink. Flat screen tv, fridgerator and the bed was amazing. The pillows had removable tags descibing soft and firm. They offered free hot breakfast in the morning, not your typical waffles and cereal. Fresh scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, fruit, cereal, oatmeal, biscuits and gravy, hash browns, the list goes on. Also, the best for last, the room was cheaper then what I would of paid across the street. So thank you Holiday INN North in Macon, you exceeded our expections and we had a superior experience.

Room Tip: Offered a great AAA discount.
  • Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Deborah m
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed March 26, 2011

Stayed here 1 night prior flying back to Europe from Atlanta. The hotel has a very elegant touch, both the lobby and the rooms. I found the hotel to be quite upscale decorated, especially compared to other hotels in the US. The rooms are very well appointed. Free breakfast is included. Enough parking space. The hotel seems to be very new (or very recently renovated in a major way).
Some comments:
Cleanliness: Whilst everything is very new, we noticed that the cleanliness of the rooms could be better. Hairs in the shower, dust on items in the room, dust on the floor.
Noise: We use earplugs and our room was at the front side, so at night we didn't hear any trains passing by. But in the morning during breakfast we heard a train passing by and I can very well imagine for some people this might be disturbing. In addition we could here people in adjacent rooms clearly walking around in their rooms.
Breakfast: The breakfast selection was OK, but we found it not hygienic. Plates were dirty, milk and orange juice were in a type of bottle, everyone just had to touch the opening with their hands.
All in all the room was nice, so was the hotel. We would go here again, but we would skip breakfast.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple