“The place for deep fried mushrooms”
Review of The Rookery

The Rookery
Ranked #1 of 359 Restaurants in Macon
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Friendly out going staff. Clean place. We were looking for a place to grab a snack and a drink before heading out for dinner. The breading they use on their deep fried mushrooms just doesn't get any better. They could deep fry a shoe with that stuff and would still be good!

Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

What a bargain gem! Definitely recommend the greenback burger- chevere cheese with a fried green tomato-yum! Nice laid back atmosphere too- get there early.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I had never been out in Macon before, and this place was yummy. I believe someone had mentioned it was the bar of the Allman brothers. It's a great local spot and the burgers were on point and they have the option of eating grass-fed beef. Order the chips instead of fries and there onion rings are yummy. They also have a decent variety of beers both Georgia made and in-general. Service was friendly and accommodated a large party. I would definitely go there again.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Nothing beats this downtown Macon venue for your favorite tap of beer! The pub style food is a step above with divine creations like Pimento Cheese spread and fried pickles! This is a gastronomes delight at half the price of most nice dining establishments.

1  Thank DigDox
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We were headed around Macon, but the billboard for this place drew us in, so we took I-75 into Macon instead.

My husband got the Johnny Jenkins Burger which comes topped with pimento cheese. He enjoyed it. On recommendation from our waiter I ordered the Bebe's Chicken Salad. It was good, but nothing to write home about. However, the Jimmy Cater shake I got with it was fantastic! It's made from banana ice cream and peanut butter, garnished with a slice of bacon.

Pluses: The table and walls bear signatures and quotations from previous customers.

Interesting: The names of some items - Blind Willie's Buffalo Chicken, Gram Parson's Cosmic Club, Allman Burger, Jerry Reed Burger and Rasputin Shake

Next time I'll try: Either Betsy's Grilled Pimento Cheese or The Georgia Red Delicious Wrap

Been to The Rookery? Share your experiences!