“Island bliss”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kavieng
Lissenung Island Resort
Masserac, France
“Island bliss”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I visited Lissenung Island Resort through Best of PNG who organised my whole trip. The island itself is a complete get-away-from-it-all experience and one I highly recommend. The rooms are pretty and decorated in a local style and are all secluded and close the the sea. The diving was superb when we were there and our hosts approach was professional yet fun and friendly and expert all at the same time. They took us to a range of great dive sites - one or two are now rated in my favourite dive sites anywhere in the world - and we enjoyed every single day - diving twice most mornings and then doing afternoon house-reef dives or snorkles or additional dives on wrecks from the 2nd WW or a muck dive in Kavieng harbour (good but Tufi's muck dive is my all time fave!). The diving was of an excellent standard as was the boat, the rooms, and the meals and atmosphere which I think were also very good value for money. Meals were relaxed and communal and the fish-supper feasts were wonderful as was our evening entertainment on the beach with traditional songs by starlight! It was a Robinson Crusoe atmosphere but without the hardship:) I know that people who were there for a romantic break such as an anniversary were treated to extra special things like meals and wine on the beach and it looked like a perfect place for such a trip! Private and pleasurable you would have to be made of iron not to relax here and the arrival and departure by small plane (with great views en-route) and then by jeep and small boat transfer really added to our sense of escape. Overall a really brilliant place to go and dive dive dive or laze laze laze or both! for those with the time worth the journey to get there - in fact for me that was part of the whole trip. For those with an interest in culture then there are loads of extra local trips that Ange and Dietmar (the owners who are on-site) will happily arrange as well.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are close to the lovely white sandy beach and are all semi-detached and seclud...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Melbourne
Reviewed February 12, 2012

The diving in Kavieng is good, particularly at Albatross Passage and Matrix. At Albatross, there are schools of different types of fish. In particular I noticed an unusually high number of groupers found during Oct/Nov. The schools of trevallies and barracudas are less in numbers compared to those I have seen in Barracuda Point, Madang. Some of the dive sites like Planet and Eagle channels were not accessible due to ongoing discussion with the locals. Another highlight was an approximately 1.5 m giant clam. On food, I found it to be average in quality. The fish and vegetables were unfortunately over-cooked by the locals. The lobsters were my favourite but the chilli mud crabs were below my expectations because I have imagined that they would be cooked "Singaporean" style, but they were not. However, I need to emphasise that it is very difficult to run a resort in a remote location and the owners deserve every praise. I also noticed that they treat their staff very well and that was a motivation for me to want to support their operation. The room has 24 hr electricity but it was still hot during the day time with the ceiling fan. It would be useful to provide a standing pedestal fan. The mattress was thin, otherwise the rooms are satisfactory. Please note that each room share a common wall with the adjacent room at the shower/toilet area. The owners, the Japanese dive guide and the staff members were friendly and good company during communal dinners. Overall, it was a pleasant stay. I placed my booking with www.pngholidays.com.au and found the travel agent to be good in arranging both flights/accommodation.

Room Tip: Place your booking with either hotelclub.com or pngholidays.com.au
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Boston
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My wife and I traveled to PNG for a week of Diving. Ange and Dietmar were excellent hosts, dive masters, and friends. I say friends because the trip was more like visiting friends that have a dive boat. Even though we had just met them, we immediately felt at home.
The food, the diving, and accommodations were all amazing. I really cannot wait to go back and hopefully do one of Dietmar’s exploratory trip.
I recommend taking some of their side excursions to the local villages and World War II ruins. Of course dive as much as you can the water is warm and the diving is pristine and untouched!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Vienna
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We spent 1 week diving in this resort. Overall I would rate it 3 star and if you don't expect much luxury than it is a reasonable place. Some drawbacks though: No jetty so when you arrive prepare to become wet. Accomodation are cottages containing 2 units. No aircondition, no hot water. All furniture including bathroom is very basic. Light only from a fluoresecent tube. Walls are made out of mats and thus very thin. In the bathroom you can hear virtually everything from your neighbour, also in the bedroom. The beds are not confortable at all. Veranda chairs provide limited comfort too. Ours had cushions but the were so dirty (blood stains) we did not use them.
You wont need any shoes for your stay. Room cleaning was good and fresh linen and towels every 3rd day.
Restaurant provides simple food but tasty. Free rainwater and plenty of drinks from the fridge. Ceiling fans run permanently which could be problem if you are sensitive for air draft. There are 3 dogs and a cat around also during meals. Not a problem for us but might be for other people.
The manager Dietmar originates from Vienna and has a charming glimpse of an elderly 1968 generation .He's a relaxed person and attentive but a heavy smoker. Be prepared for smoke when he is around.
The resort advertizes being a PADI Eco operator but they get all their energy from Diesel fuel. No photovoltaic equipment and no hotwater from siphone collectors. Replacing the lights by LED could also help saving energy. Dietmar promised to have a look at this in order to become greener in future.
Diving is pretty much self-contained. Not much organization or briefing which is fairly OK if you have been on other resorts. If you want to go the house reef just grab a tank and go.
Boat trips are all within 30 minutes ride.There is limited dry space for cameras on the boat.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
brisbane
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed there for 8 days at end of July and it was just paradise... The weather was not fantastic at the start of the trip but this was more than made up for by the staff and the surroundings....

The main reason you go there is for the diving and the local knowledge and Skill of the guides were exceptional.... They ticked all my requests wrecks, pelagic fish, drift diving... I did it all and more.... I even had an emergency at 35m meters deep that the guide handled with such skill that I was not concerned at all....

Highly recommend that you vist this place as it is unbeatable....

• Stayed July 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 11, 2011

We are not divers....so visiting a dive resort may seem strange but we desperately needed to just have a break and relax from very hectic careers.....Lissenung Island was like medicine to us, it began with a warm hearted welcome at the airport from staff and owners, within minutes you feel like these people are old friends.
The island is not rated 5 star, in this case the ratings need to be adjusted, while you may not have some of the glamour features Lissenung is truly the most 5 star experience we have ever encountered.....and we are familiar with real 5 star treatment.
As non divers we were treated to the privelage of having the entire island to ourselves each day, the staff could not do enough to provide excellent service with great respect for privacy.
The owners are fantastic people, great company, very professional and deserve coudos for establishing such an amazing place in a 3rd world country without being ostentacious. Amazing thing is i dont ever remember a vacation where you missed the owners and staff after you left.
The divers were fantastic company, with only 14 maximum on the island at any time we had been concerned that we would be shunned, just not the case, we met people we will definitely catch up with again and the personalities provided fantastic conversation, fun joking and a Chrismas/New years we'll probably never beat.
We spent 12 days at Lissenung, still not enough time to soak in the entire stunning reef around the island....you need a month in this heaven, only warning is that re-entering the real world agin can be difficult.
To Ange Deitmar and the beautiful staff, thanks for removing a year of stress from our lives, we will be back real soon and look forward to seeing you all again...Thank you for sharing your little heaven with us.
Donna & Huwguinea energy

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HuwGuineaEnergy
UK
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Just back from a trip to Lissenung and it was excellent. A private bit of paradise in the middle of nowhere, world-class diving - Albatross Passage, Helmut;s Reef, and Kavin 2 were stand-out sites for us. The first two have phenomenal soft coral and fan coverage, tons of fish, and we saw grey reef, whitetip reef, and silvertip sharks on one dive - wide-angle photography heaven when the viz is good. Kavin 2 has great overhangs and some brilliant macro photograpy opportunities as well as wide-angle along the wall and around a bommy.
Sea horses and turtles out the front, a great shallow house reef for snorkelling and underwater photography, or just hanging out with the fish.
It is a quiet, relaxed place, with seven semi-detached double rooms, with warm and friendly staff and hosts. After flying to Kavieng and a short drive to the wharf, it takes about 25 minutes by launch to reach the island, dotted amongst many others between the South Pacific and the Bismark Sea. Palm trees, lawns, sand between your toes in the dining area, good food, and hosts Dietmar and Ange have plenty of interesting stories.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Lissenung Island Resort? Share your experiences!