“A recommended dining option in Franz Josef”
Review of Blue Ice Cafe

Blue Ice Cafe
Ranked #2 of 20 Restaurants in Franz Josef
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Probably due to its popularity with NZ travelers, the tiny town of Franz Josef is not disappointing when it comes to food choices. This restaurant was recommended by 10 cottages with a special mention that they even have a Hummer Stretch Limo which can be arranged for pick-up to and from the restaurant. To me, this is just a fun novelty but I will go to the restaurant even without this as they have friendly service and good hearty food. We had the salad which was fresh considering how inland we are and it was winter (I do not know if they actually grow it there). Th steak was also perfectly done and the fish as well. We didn't order pizza though, just didnt felt like having on. This is a good dining option while in Franz Josef, preferably after the trip to the ice.

There are newer reviews for Blue Ice Cafe

Reviewed July 7, 2014

The presentation and flavours were outstanding, good beer and wine list, good value for money and I enjoyed chatting to the waitress who comes from the Phillipines. We enjoyed our visit here and can recommend it, has vegetarian options and great pizzas for young ones, with more sophisticated choices too.

Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Tried it out on a tip from the hostel receptionist. Was happily surprised with the beautiful dishes and great flavours. Would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Franz Josef.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We decided to try this place out because of the trip advisor reviews. Although we both liked the food, it wasn't the best meal we had in Franz Josef. My husband ordered the venison but the portion was fairly small. He said it tasted ok but was overpowered by the sauce. I had the soup of the day and a very large salad. Both were pretty good but slightly over priced. It was a very quiet night in the restaurant (only two other couples I believe), but the service was sort of slow and my husband had to ask for his beers and wine a couple of times. Overall the experience wasn't bad but it wasn't our favorite place either.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I stayed for two days there at Franz Josef, I tried to have meal here for my last night in that place because I saw all good comment about the food, the food was great except for the service of their front of the house it's like they don't know what their serving and they always chatting which is not good for the restaurant.

2  Thank angel427