“Rainforest Retreat”
Review of Rainforest Retreat

Rainforest Retreat
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Franz Josef
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Rainforest retreat is a mid range accommodation facility that is perfectly adequate for a short stay. We had a Tree Lodge room which was clean well appointed and good value for money. The location is convenient and we had a very pleasant meal at Alice May a short walk from the Rainforest Retreat.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,428)

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in September 2013. It was a great spot for a base for what we wanted to do in the area. Conveniently located near the town centre. We liked the free hot spa! However, the tv lounge, the kitchen and the bathrooms are not properly kept! Cleaning once a day is simply not enough when there are many guests. Currently more facilities are being built, but the temporary toilet and shower facilities that are put up in a container besides the amenities building were closed, locked, when we needed them! And this was during the evening... Reception closed!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anders J
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and we were lucky that the weather was wonderful. I stayed in a three bunk bed room and there was enough space for the five of us with our luggage. We did have issues with the heater in our room. It would turn on once in a while and it never actually warmed up the room. The heater also took up one of the outlets in the room and since there were five of us in the room, we all had to end up sharing the last outlet together.

Although my group took up the majority of the rooms, I never experienced any problems with sharing the toilets and showers with everyone. I did not like the shower areas though because I prefer to have a little dry area to place my items so that everything did not get splashed on when you're showering. A little curtain and a little shelf is what I prefer in the shower rooms.

There is a bar/restaurant at this hotel and they do make fantastic food. My group had eaten dinner there for one night and everyone enjoyed their food. It's also helpful that the bar is there because you didn't need to go far to socialize.

The kitchen was massive and had plenty of pans and cooking utensils. There were numerous burners and it helped as everyone had always decided to cook their dinners at the same time every night. There were multiple refrigerators and even dry food storage cabinets. This was a nice touch since I didn't have to have my dry food bag take up precious space in my room. The kitchen is right next to the TV room for our dorm area and had couches and bean bags to sit on.

The town is very small and so it did not take long to walk to any location at any time. It is right across the street from the hot pools spa and it made it an easy visit after a long day of activities. There is also a spa tub located next to the reception and it could hold a good amount of folks. There are a few hikes/walks nearby that you could venture out on and I highly recommend bringing flip flops or water shoes if you take the hike through the tunnels.

The internet here relies on Global Gossip and although I had no internet issues, I know a lot of other folks did. I also used the laundry facilities here and I did not like the dryers here. I paid for twenty minutes of time and I felt that I might've had to pay for another twenty minutes of dryer time before my clothes would be completely dry.

Overall, I loved this place. There are a few things I wish were different but I had a pleasant stay here and I wouldn't have minded staying longer. There are plenty of activities to do in the area and it is absolutely beautiful.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed 2 nights at a Private Ensuite room, located way at a corner. Clean, spacious room with facilities working well. However, at the time of visit, it was constantly raining in Franz Josef, hence the room is often cold, despite the heater is always turned on. It seemed that the heater is insufficient to warm up the room in cold weather. Toilet had a musky smell in the night-time.
Common kitchen was well-equipped and clean.

Staff was exceptionally friendly and attended to our needs, giving suggestions for other activities due to the bad weather and road closures.
Try the Monsoon restaurant, it is a fabulous place with great food and drinks.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I were booked to stay for 2 nights for our honeymoon but ended up having to stay an extra night because of heavy rains. No complaints from us there at all.
The first 2 nights we were at the tree hut cabin which was absolutely amazing. It is super comfortable and comes fully equipped and even has a little porch to sit out on and enjoy a whisky/wine as you watch the sun set. The room was more than adequately heated, great range of tv channels, secluded so you have complete privacy and even sheltered us from the exceptional rain and lightning that came down upon us.
The last night we stayed at the tree lodge which was more secluded and had its own balcony which looked out into the forest. Room was comfortable, clean, well heated and well stocked too but it lacked the cosiness of the Tree Hut.
Staff were super friendly and helpful with information on activities, road traffic updates etc. Didn't get a chance to check out the spa pool or sauna. But the food at the restaurant, Monsoon, was incredible and affordable. The lamb shank just melted in your mouth.

Room Tip: Tree Huts are stand alones so you get more privacy
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The rooms were exactly as advertised on the internet in terms of presentation and the staff were very friendly. Our Tree Hut was on the main driveway which was a little noisy and the rainforest consisted of a few pungas in front of the balcony but it was still a pleasant room to stay in.

Room Tip: I would have gone for any of the room/huts available up the back of the complex.
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed three nights here in August 2013 and i cannot rate it highly enough. We arrived on the kiwi experience to stay 2 nights. Six Irish girls and we got a gorgeous room en suite beside the outdoor hot tub.
We had great privacy and we all spoke about how great the room was and hot fab the shower we had. The bar on this premises i can only say mirrored that of an alpine retreat hidden somewhere on the alps! we had huge log fires and candles lit every table, it felt like a special place. We met people on honeymoon who were equally impressed. And thats not to mention the food! Great value for money - We ate there every night!! Could not get enough!!
Due to poor weather we did not get to climb the glacier on our date and the manager went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure we got to walk the glacier park that day.. He was a great Welsh man!! We got to resheduale and go to Fox but it would 100% would not be possible if not for his kindess.
You are in for a treat if you go to this place! its a 1 minute walk from the main street of Franz Josef but with such nice accomodation and bar, we noticed most people just wanted to relax in the rainforest retreat! Top marks!

Room Tip: Most rooms have Sky TV but ours didnt although we didnt mind.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo