1,668 results
All reviews tree lodge monsoon restaurant all you can eat the kitchen kiwi experience private spa restaurant bar hot tub log cabin powered site camper van on site restaurant bed dorm new zealand holiday park great facilities in town
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I camped on their "tent site" which was a glorified gravel pad with a few blades of grass here and there right next to the children's play area. Not ideal, but at least it is located in the Franz Josef Village and the showers were great.

Date of stay: December 2011
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I was very impressed with Rainforest Retreat. I stayed in a 4 bed dorm and was impressed. The room was a cosy with 2 sets of bunk beds, ensuite shower room and a fridge. The complex is lovely with lots of trees and has accommodation suitable for everyone. They have a camp area, dorms, motel rooms and little tree huts and houses. There certainly is something for all budgets. I didn't eat in the restaurant but did have a beer in the bar one evening. Franz is a small town and the hostel is only a few minutes walk from the main street which has the supermarket and pubs and cafes. I will definitely stay again.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed March 21, 2012

It was cold and the heater didn't work. There was no one around to fix it, our room was tiny. The bed was small, the springs were broken so my husband and I kept rolling together. It was VERY noisy, the walls are so thin I could hear everything in the rooms next to and above me. I was kept awake all night due to the noise and the cold. Fran's Josef is beautiful and I would have loved it if the Rainforest Retreat lived up to that. I would not recommend staying there to anyone, and I will never stay there again myself. I don't have one nice thing to say about it. Sorry!

Reviewed March 18, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying on Friday night(16th March. When we first arrived I was dubious due to the number of young people around (we are middle aged). However we were very impressed with our whole stay. Our room was well presented,cosy, warm and beautifully clean. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Monsoon Bar & Restaurant. From the minute we stepped through the door, we felt we were somewhere special. On top of that, the service was FANTASTIC and the meal delicious! We were very pleasantly surprised by how quiet it was during the night. We had expected lots of noise due to the number of people about. We looked forward to going back to the restaurant for Breakfast and were again impressed by the wonderful service,the food itself and the way the breakfast bar was set up. This was our first 'night away' without children in tow, for a very long time. Thank you to all the staff, for a wonderful time.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

Our stay at the retreat was very average. We had booked a tree lodge but it was a normal room really. we have been to other tree houses and they are very rustic but this one wasn't out of the ordinary and could have been anywhere. The service in the bar and restaurant wasn't what we expected. There seemed a lack of staff and they made no apologies for keeping people waiting. Staff on reception were very 'matter of fact' too. All in all, the rainforest retreat was a bit disappointing for a resort that promises so much.

Room tip: The rooms are ok but paying the extra for the rainforest touch isn't worth it.
Date of stay: February 2012