“Beautiful work and wonderful staff”
Review of Te Koha Gallery

Te Koha Gallery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A warm and friendly environment to learn and create a traditional or contemporary carving of New Zealand Stone - Nephrite Jade, Tangi Wai, Aotea, Rhodonite. Gallery of Maori arts and crafts.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I was waiting to buy my mother a special souvenir from NZ while I travelled there and this place allowed me to do just that. Originally I was going to simply purchase one of their beautiful pieces but the owner informed me I could carve my own for about the same price. He was incredibly friendly and helpful and my piece came out beautiful. Definitely worth stopping in for, lots of great items for sale and the staff are fantastic!

There are newer reviews for Te Koha Gallery

Reviewed April 16, 2014

My partner and I stopped in to look at the greenstone carving and ask about doing some of our own. The people there where very welcoming and allowed me to carve my own tiki even when the main stone carver was not there. They helped us out with a place to stay and they even have a great little fish and chip shop that we had dinner at.
Thanks again for your hospitality, we would love to be returning here along our travels, it was my favourite place in franz Josef
John and Carolin

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Whats better than buying a pendant for yourself or as a grift? Carving your own!!!!

This is by far the most rewarding thing I did while travelling around NZ, having been told by a fellow traveller that the Te Koha Gallery was a must visit while in Franz Josef.
When walking up to the Local Fish and chip shop (Kiwi Kia, which has the best fish & chips I tasted in NZ) I found the Te Koha Gallery, I was greeted by Jan a very friendly and informative lady, she told me a lot about the history and customs of the Maori culture, after looking around at the amazing pendants and carvings that had been carved by local carvers, I decided that I would have a go at carving my own pendant with the help of the local carver Adam, Adam was very skilled and guided me through the various steps.
I was so pleased with the final result, knowing that I had made this myself that I decided to go back the following day and carve another pendant as a gift. The transformation for both cavings from the start to the finish was amazing. I where the pendant all the time now and am always reminded of my amazing trip to New Zealand.

Thank you once again to everyone at Te Koha Gallery for giving me something special to takeaway from NZ.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We were staying in Franz Josef, called in here to have a look and was pleasantly surprised. Not only a gallery but many of the items were carved by the owner who has a studio in the gallery that is able to be used by the public.

The artwork was great and the best bit of the visit was 'carving' my own greenstone. Staff were terrific and very knowledgeable. In fact I saw a steady stream of people bringing in various rocks to be identified which they did with no fuss.

Well worth popping in for a visit while in town.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

A beautiful gallery under the shadow of the magnificent Franz Josef Glazier. The Maori craft was beautiful and original. The owner and staff were helpful, honest and informative.