Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier Hotel
Franz Josef Oasis(Franz Josef)
$58
The Terrace Motel(Franz Josef)(Great Value!)
$68
$75
$67
$90
$87
Priceline
Bella Vista Motel Franz Josef Glacier(Franz Josef)(Great Value!)
$69
$64
Glacier View Motel(Franz Josef)(Great Value!)
$60
$57
Agoda.com
10 Cottages(Franz Josef)(Great Value!)
$67
Rainforest Retreat(Franz Josef)(Great Value!)
$87
$78
  • Restaurant
58 On Cron Motel(Franz Josef)(Great Value!)
$69
Alpine Glacier Motor Lodge(Franz Josef)(Great Value!)
$72
$68
Agoda.com
All reviewsnice hotelnew zealandbreakfast buffet isfirst floorlamb shankthe ground floormain buildingopen firesmall towncomfortable bedswildlife centrein towngood sizestayed here for one nightroom was largefree wifibad weather
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This time we book a hotel instead of a B&B. The Scenic Hotel pretends to be a hotel. But in fact, it’s more of a motel. Large and clean. Abrasive hotel manager. Outrageously expensive WLAN connection for guests. A loveless breakfast. An absolute joke of a spa. But an incredibly nice porter and a room with mountain view ... more infos on our trip through New Zealand? — get our AORTICA Magazine, N°02.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank AORTICA
SHFJManager, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear Aortica

I am quite concerned over the comments you have placed on Tripadvisor. I would like to further discuss the issues you have mentioned. I would appreciate if you had the time to email me at maree.welgus@scenichotels.co.nz

Thanking you Maree

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This motel style hotel looks a bit dated outside but the rooms are good quality. An abundance of towels and toiletries, including a bag inviting you to take the toiletries home with you. The rooms have heating but no air conditioning, not that you would need it as even in summer it is cool at night.

The rooms are specious with three single beds in the one we had. The bathroom a little small. There is only a small space for hanging cloths but as most people only spend one night here it is adequate. The rooms do not have a safe. Tea and coffee making facilities and a small fridge are provided.

Wifi is available at a cost and the restaurant opposite the hotel offers free Wifi.

The rooms do not have an iron which is only available if you wait at the guest laundry. A small point but as many who use this hotel are touring an important issue for guests.

The hotel has restaurant facilities but Franz Josef has a few others to choose from. This is limited to two or three. There is also a well stocked small supermarket in town.

The breakfast was ok but as the hotel is coping with large tour groups it is not a pleasurable experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StuartRon
SHFJManager, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear StuartRon

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the lovely New Zealand Les Floralies toiletries and agree, our hotel is located in a very central position.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit. Kind Regards Maree

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Spent 1 night at The Scenic, Franz Josef like any other ordinary visitors. The hotel is very clean and very friendly staffs. Despite of having many tour groups staying at the same time, they still managed to put fast services, both rooms and restaurant. After checking out early next morning, I didn't realise that I have left my shawl in the room until we got to Queenstown. Called back to the hotel, they immediately located it and my shawl was shipped and arrived safely at my house yesterday. Thanks to the efficient reception and prompt action.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Somrudee A
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I only stayed here one night, but I'm glad I did.

I stayed in July 2013, in the middle of winter. Can I just say OMG THE BEDS!!!! I don't sleep well (if at all) when I'm away from home, and it takes me 2-3 nights to get used to a new bed - needless to say, I didn't expect to sleep at all when I stayed at this hotel for just one night. But oh boy was I wrong! Soft, squishy, warm, snuggly, like burrowing down in a cloud. I didn't want to get up in the morning, and I wish I'd booked more than the one night - especially at the $99/night amazing winter rate I got.

In regard to non-bed aspects - the room was warm and comfortable, and although the building showed it's 1970's origins, the hotel had managed to update this while keeping in with the original design, so the room had a trendy retro feel to it. The bathroom was showing it's wear and tear a bit, but scrupulously clean, and the hotel was renovating the other wing when I stayed, so I can only imagine they will get to the wing I stayed in soon enough.

My room had a lovely view of the mountains, and I was given the option of a queen room with balcony (which was what I booked), or a king room with no balcony but floor to ceiling windows. Given it was the middle of winter and I doubted I'd use the balcony, I took the BIG BED.

I didn't eat at the hotel, but I was impressed by the care shown by the reception staff who, when they found out I was driving on my own, were quick to offer winter driving tips for frosty conditions.

Hotel also has ample parking.

Overall a lovely stay, and out of the five hotels I stayed in on my two week trip, this is the one I keep thinking about going back to.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Marzi1624
SHFJManager, General Manager at Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Marzi1624

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on TripAdvisor.

I 'm so glad to hear from someone who is as passionate about our luxurious Scenic signature bedding as we are . It was a pleasure to to provide you with a good night ' s sleep on your mid-winter travels.

The final stage of our multi-million dollar refurbishment has recently been completed with modernised bathrooms and a complete refit of Douglas wing rooms.

I will certainly pass your comments on to our Front Office team who always endeavour to provide warm, personalised Kiwi-hospitality to all of our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier on your next trip through the West Coast. Kind Regards Maree

Reviewed February 4, 2013

The standard rooms are tiny. However after dinner on our first night we, along with other couples in our block, were upgraded to some much bigger rooms because of "sewerage problems". The hotel staff did this efficiently and with good grace so we were happy. The hotel is modern and very well situated in Franz Josef; the breakfasts and dinner were good and we got discounted tickets for the nearby Hot pools from reception. So, all in all a pleasant stay which was greatly enhanced by the "sewerage problems".

Room Tip: Avoid the Standard rooms if possible.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank davethewasp

Dear davethewasp

Thank you for providing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I 'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our recently refurbished rooms and I'm sure that the Scenic signature bedding afforded you a restful night ' s sleep.

My deepest apologies for any inconvenience that may have been caused with the room move. It is great to hear that my team managed to remedy this unfortunate situation swiftly and with minimal fuss.

Tickets for the Glacier Hot Pools and the West Coast Wildlife Centre are available from Reception and our friendly Front Office Team are able to directly book all of the local activities for our guests.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Scenic Hotel Franz Josef Glacier when you are next travelling to Franz Josef.

Kind Regards Maree