“Small but clean”
Review of YHA Franz Josef

YHA Franz Josef
Reviewed October 22, 2013

It's my first time to live in YHA in NZ. The hostel is very easy to be found while we arrived in Franz Josef Glacier, and it's close to stores and a gas station. Besides, the crew there were very friendly to help us check-in. The room we lived was small but very clean. It had an independent bathroom and the water was hot, and we really loved it because the weather was very cold then.

Room Tip: Independent bathroom is great.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was in different YHA hostels in NZ, was impressed about the one in Wellington, but that one in Franz Josef is defently the best! Very clean, comfortable and very relaxing. You can not find a lot of hostels with a sauna...
Eventough I was sick for three days i felt really comfortable. Even the staffmembers took care about me. It was fantastic!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
YHA N, Manager at YHA Franz Josef, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Kia Ora Antonello G and thank you for the great feedback.

Thank you for taking the time to review or our hostel. The team here work hard to make sure our hostel is the best it can be for our guests so it’s wonderful to hear we’re getting things right. Our staff do go above and beyond the call of duty, so I’m glad to hear how our staff took care of you while you were feeling unwell.

Wishing you all the best for you onward travels.

Kind Regards,

Luke Tarplett, YHA Franz Josef Hostel Manager

Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was the first of many stays at YHA in New Zealand. I stayed for one night in a shared six bed dorm where everything was clean, modern and the rooms were warm. The location was great, and the common area was spacious. Prior to my stay, I had never even heard of YHA. I checked out the next day as a YHA member and spent the next three weeks touring the south island while staying at this hostel chain. I was sold on the staff, Casey in particular, who was especially helpful and even accompanied me to the glacier on his day off. Many thanks to Casey and the stand-up staff at Franz Josef.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

This was the most average stay we had, compared to previous places, this place was neither bad nor good. Was a fine stay. Rooms were ok. The staff made the stay. Very helpful. Advising on the conditions of the roads and the day before a lot of trees had been blown over so to be cautious whilst driving.

• Stayed: June 2013

Kia Ora Wassa666,

Your positive words about our staff are greatly appreciated. I’m glad they were able to help you sort out the road conditions! We all work hard to make YHA Franz Josef a home away from home for our guests.

I’m sorry that you thought the hostel was only “average”. Should you have any recommendations on how we can do things better, please feel free to contact me: luke.tarplett@yha.co.nz.

Happy travels!

Kind Regards,

Luke Tarplett, YHA Franz Josef Hostel Manager

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Having now stayed in 5 YHA hostels in NZ South Island they are all pretty much the same. Always clean and well looked after.
Franz Josef was no exception. Located only 5km from the Franz Josef Glacier car park it is easily within walking distance of the main attraction.
What makes this hostel stand out from the others is the staff. I was checked in by an American who was efficient, polite and helpful. The next day a lady called Lynette went out of her way to help me out with booking accommodation for the rest of my trip.
I'm not saying the staff in the other hostels weren't helpful, they were, but Franz Josef was top of the pile - they had that extra something.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had a four bed room and this was good, the place is alot bigger than I thought it was. The lounge was large with a separate tv room. Big kitchen with lots of cookers and everything you will need. We had a good heater in the room and everyone was warm even on the cold nights. The bathrooms were clean

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Lovely accommodation, very friendly staff and we even got an upgrade for free!! Amazing place to stay at, and very environmentally friendly! Just a walk away from the restaurants and some activities. The staff provided some good places to dine and visit while we were on our short stay!

Perfect