“Great place to stay in Franz Josef”
Review of YHA Franz Josef

YHA Franz Josef
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Booked a twin private ensuite. Clean spacious room and bathroom. First time in a YHA and it was a lot nicer than I expected! Had a ground floor room – window was big so lots of natural light. Very peaceful at night. The staff were really friendly and helpful. Towels were provided. Even had a kettle (tea and coffee) in the room. Very big kitchen and communal area. The town is very small therefore easy to walk everywhere. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for YHA Franz Josef

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We spent a couple of nights here and thought that the hostel was great and had a much better atmosphere than some of the other hostels we had stayed in whilst travelling around NZ. The room was a 4 bed dorm - nothing special about it but it was clean and comfortable enough.

There is a huge kitchen and living area which does get busy but adds to the niceness with a real mix of people of all ages. The showers were fab and the toilets were much better than others we had come across.

I'm surprised at some of the comments about cleanliness as when we were there we saw people spending quite a while cleaning the communal kitchen and bathrooms.

Location was fine - again its a small place so easy to walk into town from wherever you are, nice cafe and supermarket not too far to grab groceries.

The only thing to be aware of is the internet - you can purchase a card which we were told was 24 hour internet for $5. We were trying to book accommodation for the next part of our trip so decided to use the computers instead of our phones. But this used our $5 as pay as you go credit so we only got 2 hours for our $5 instead of 24 hours we would have got if we had used wifi but we weren't told that when we bought it!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have spend many a night in hostels, however this is probably one the the worst. I stayed here one night so that I could hike the glacier.

The place was not clean at all, the whole entire floor in our room (I had a room of 4) had sitting water, the shower looked to be something filmed in a horror film. I was just very happy that I was only here for one night.

The ONLY reason I gave this place 2 starts is because the location to everything else in town is great. It is a VERY small town, but you don't have to get in a cab/car to get to anything.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PlatinumGraphite
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The lady who checked me in was very helpful. I had 2 nights at the hostel but in different rooms. She offered more than once for my luggage to be kept in storage between rooms. The first night I was in a single room which was nice but a little dark. When I returned to check in for the second night, the same lady recognised me and asked about my day which added a personal touch. I checked into a twin room, expecting a room buddy for the night and surprisingly didn't get one. The room was nicer and quieter than the single room and if this hostel was anything to go by, that's the type of room I'd book again. The hostel was clean, comfortable and very convenient in location. I'd definitely stop there and other hostels again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We took a double ensuite. The room and the showers were ok and nothing more than ok. Also there is a really wierd smell when you get into the hostel. The service was good and helpful. But still, for that price i was expexting to get more than this.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This YHA has a lot of good reviews and they probably are warranted, taking into account it's great location and views. Service was fine, as was our room in itself. However, the en suite bathroom cost this location an extra mark. It screamed public toilet, even having the bad flooring and locked paper dispenser that you would find in one - I couldn't wait to get my shower over and done with. The common bathroom facilities may have been better, though I didn't check. Overall though, it was alright for the price and I probably would return, mainly for its good location.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Limestone2
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The YHA in Franz Josef has everything you can hope for from a hostel. There is a lot of communal space, the bedrooms are good, there is a free sauna and locked bicycle storage. As with many YHAs you get a wide variety of people staying in the hostel, from young to old, solo travellers and groups. At this stage they haven't managed to get the free, unlimited wifi that is offered to YHA members in the Wellington hostel, but they hope to get it in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo