“A very good attraction”

Buy Tickets Online
More Info
$26.50*
and up
Franz Josef Wildlife Center Adm with Optional...
Ranked #7 of 32 things to do in Franz Josef
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Lonely Planet voted the West Coast Wildlife Centre in the heart of Franz Josef as one of the 12 must see things to visit in New Zealand. This is the largest kiwi hatching facility in the South Island and the "must see" indoor all weather attraction in Franz Josef – home to the official hatching facility for the world's 2 rarest kiwis – the Rowi and Haast Tokoeka. See live kiwi during the day inside our nocturnal house, discover the interactive glacier attraction and West Coast storytelling areas or go behind the scenes on the “Backstage Pass Tour” and see live kiwi chicks and meet the friendly kiwi ranger staff. Numbers are very limited on the 30 minute Backstage Pass Tour so booking are highly recommended to avoid disappointment. The best shopping in Franz Josef can be found here inside the all weather facility -and enjoy free Wi-Fi in the cafe to keep connected to family and friends. Enjoy a coffee or a snack in the cafe – or pick up a pack lunch for your day of adventure. Open from 8.30am daily – 365 days. Set aside 1-2 hours for your visit. All tickets purchased are valid for 24 hours so you can come back and see the kiwi as many times as you like within that period !.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Reviewed May 13, 2014

There are several Kiwi centres in NZ and I felt this one was a goodie. We were able to be very close to the kiwis, closer than other centres and we stayed with the two kiwis for a long time watching their interaction. The centre has a good display on local history/glaciers etc and of course a well stocked souvenir shop, and cafe. We were delayed here because of a bad storm and the centre had up to date information regarding the road conditions. Staff were friendly and helpful. Cafe food was good. We were with two texan friends who really enjoyed the experience. I've indicated that there is wheelchair access but I would check with the centre first.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We had a look here to see the rare Rowi Kiwi, and we did see two of them. The place is quite small and pricey for what it is, but as we weren't spending our money to walk on the glacier we figured we would go. It was good, but I wouldn't rush back,

Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

I think this place was pretty expensive but the displays were good. I found the staff particularly unfriendly, I was a few minutes late for the backstage tour and I could see the briefing happening so could have joined but was told bluntly no it's too late even though it had only just started, it was my only day to go so I was pretty disappointed, and they only had two people on the tour!!! Bit of a silly waste of money for them to be honest as I did not mind missing five minutes.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I understand they are trying to raise money but this is a tourist trap. There are 2 kiwi's in the dark. This isn't much a nature center.

1  Thank Likestotravel1000
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Everything really, the displays, did the Backstage Pass, so good to see the really important work they are doing to save the tiniest Kiwi's. Be aware they take it very seriously so there are conditions of entry as it is essential to protect the Rowi from anything that might compromise their health and future.