“Great horse trek”

Glacier Country Horses
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We, a family of four, did a 2 hour horse trek and loved it. We are beginner riders and the horses were well suited to beginners. The trek was lovely through bush and small creeks, we even did some gentle trotting at times. The guide was friendly and gave info about the area and offered to take photo's of us at a few scenic spots. Highly recommend a horse trek in beautiful glacier country!

All reviews
"helmets"
"glacier"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed July 10, 2012

My partner and I did a 3 hour ride and had a wonderful time. Katie, the guide was nice and friendly and made it more enjoyable chatting with us along the way and taking our picture in some nice spots. Looked after my partner who was a beginner rider and knew the horses well. Compared to a lot of other trail rides I have done, the horses are very well looked after and safe. I would most certainly recommend South Westland Horse Treks!

Reviewed May 20, 2012

My husband and I did only a one hour trek. The horses were well behaved and knew the route without any actual guidance from the rider. The guide was quite friendly and did some brief introduction about the town, stopping along the way and offered to take photo of us. All in all, it was an interesting ride through tall bushes, crossing tiny creeks, going up and down slopes experiencing and enjoying a gentle trot from the horse every now and then.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

We had done a ride earlier on the vacation where we were only allowed to walk so we were very glad to do more. We did the 3 hour trek. Our guide was a bit business like but warmed up as we went. The horses were very good. No hard mouths, responsive and full of pep without acting up. All in all a very nice ride. The guide willing took pictures with our camera. I might have liked a bit of information about the area, scenery etc but she either didn't know or didn't think to do any such narration. Note - they run spot on time so arrive a bit early if you need to change etc.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 11, 2012

If you want to do something different from the glacier walk when you're in Franz Josef, this horse trekking might suit you. They'll pick you up and drop you off at Franz Josef village for free of charge. The guide was easygoing and laid-back, but looked a bit bored during the trek, always fiddling with her hair. Most of the time, she kept walking in the front without saying a word unless we talked to her. It would have been nice if she had told us more about the area. When we were walking down the driveway back to the yard, one of the horses started to trot and soon canter, leaving the rest of us behind. The boy who was riding that horse managed to hung on and didn't fall off or anything - he even seemed excited afterwards. From the matter of safety, however, the instructor/guide should never allow a horse to run off like that - especially with children and beginners. Their horses are Appaloosa which is known for its nice temperament, and I did find my horse very gentle and easy to ride. It was a nice way to spend a few hours although I don't think I'll do it again.

3  Thank elysiriarelsila