“Awesome experience”
Review of Skydive Franz

Skydive Franz
More attraction details
Owner description: New Zealand's Highest Tandem Skydive - 19,000ft. Be surrounded by Aoraki/ Mount Cook & Tasman, Franz & Fox Glaciers, Rainforest & Ocean for your Skydive. Our Friendly team and epic surroundings provide simply the best skydiving experience available in New Zealand! Choose From: 13,000ft - 50+ seconds free-fall 16,000ft - 65+ seconds free-fall 19,000ft - 80+ seconds free-fall All of these options include a scenic flight over Franz Josef Glacier and a 6-8 minute parachute ride. We use the world's most advanced and most comfortable parachute systems.Our aircraft is maintained and operated to the highest standard in the industry. Photo & DVD options available.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Awesome experience”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife did her first sky dive with Skydive Franz and we are so glad we did. You could not pick a better place to do it and a better team to do it with.

Skydive Franz have a really professional and friendly staff. Everyone was relaxed and down to earth and made my wife feel at ease. The guy who my wife jumped with and the photographer were just fantastic.

She said the views going up in the plane of the snow capped mountains and the glacier were awesome and the views coming down even better.

We paid the extra for a video and pictures and are so glad we did, The video especially is wonderful. Really well done with music. It records the whole experience from getting on the plane to landing. It is a wonderful memory to keep and show to friends.

Visited March 2013
SkydiveFranz, Marketing Manager at Skydive Franz, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Hi Sue & Jim,
I'm so glad you enjoyed your jump with us! We love what we do and it seems this has been apparent to you. We really value all of the people who jump with us and enjoy sharing not only the experience of a lifetime of jumping from a plane, but also sharing our wonderful home and the awe-inspiring landscape that surrounds us. The video and photos are definitely worth it, the guys do such a great job at capturing the whole experience so you can re-live it and share it with your friends and family. Thanks again for jumping with us!
Clare and all the team at Skydive Franz

Queenstown, New Zealand
“Amazing time, awesome location!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I did our 1st skydive here at 12000ft, we were very well looked after and given all the guidance to make it a really memorable experience. The guys are fantastic! Going up in the plane locations of interest like mt Cook and mt Tasman and the Franz Josef glacier were pointed out to us which was beautiful, especially at the time of day we did it as the sun was just starting to set over the Tasman Sea :-) the free fall was 45 seconds which was over so fast that I wished we'd done a higher jump! Then the parachute down was lovely and my tandem master let me take the controls to spin us left and then back right which felt brilliant. Overall I'd really recommend skydive franz as the people are great and I don't think you could beat the location.

Visited February 2013
SkydiveFranz, Marketing Manager at Skydive Franz, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Hi there Mel,
Good to hear back from you and thanks for choosing to jump with us for your first skydive! It sounds like both you and your boyfriend had an awesome time. The team here are pretty knowledgeable about the area and can point out all the interesting and breathtaking scenic highlights. We love the West Coast and Franz Josef enjoy sharing information about our home. You'll have to come back again and do the 19,500ft jump with us when we start doing it!!...Stay tuned :)
Thanks again for the awesome review.
Clare & all the team @ Skydive Franz
Singapore, Singapore
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Didn't expect the pain!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is supposed to be an epic first skydiving trip. I read all the positive reviews on this site and was very excited to go on this, trusting that everything would be taken care of by the professionals.

So paid a lot of money for the 18,000ft skydive + video + photos, and they suited us and strapped us up and told us how to get in position for the jump. But not once did they tell us what to expect nor any safety briefing nor anything that could potentially happen.

We were quickly interviewed and taken 18,000ft up. I had quite a shock when I was freefalling out. My ears hurt SO badly, and all the saliva in my mouth dried up due to the wind. Despite how much I smiled (it's all for the camera) in my video, I was in such discomfort and surprise that I hardly noticed the scenery, all I remember seeing was a lot of greenery and clouds.

My friend and I brought this up to them, and it felt like the guys at the counter were just giving us excuses after excuses! The worst being that 1 in 100 people who jumped experienced pain, and that airlines do not tell their passengers to equalise their ears either. Almost everyone (6ppl) in our group experienced ear pain, and 3 of them got a better experience because I told them about mine. When you are freefalling THAT fast and you have NO CLUE at all if anything you do is safe, you just don't think to do much. Definitely not like in an aircraft where you are calm and can very easily get an air stewardess!

I have a feeling that people think that this experience is supposed to be so epic that they just don't bring this up or can't be bothered to. The Taiwanese girls I jumped with certainly wouldn't.

It's like this company just wants to hustle tourists in and out and get their money in as fast as possible without regard for their comfort or experience.

3 Thank Cherlyn C
SkydiveFranz, Marketing Manager at Skydive Franz, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It is unfortunate that your experience was not as enjoyable as you expected.

We felt that we acknowledged your concerns on the day and informed you we would consider your feedback. Though we could not promise to implement any new procedures as you suggested without discussion or consideration. We have since amended our procedure to ensure it is now even more clear than it was before that customers that are aware they have sensitive ears must inform us of this prior to their jump. The valsalva manoeuvre is also now a included in our briefing for all customers.

All customers are briefed on what is expected of them during the skydive. The tandem passenger's role is intentionally kept simple. The main reason for this is because sensory-overload is common in skydiving. Giving too much information to an inexperienced tandem passenger actually increases the chance of disorientation. With this there is and increased chance of the customer doing something to put both themselves and their tandem master at risk. Over learning also reducing the customers chances of enjoying the scenery and the sensations associated with the activity. Keeping the passengers role simple means they can enjoy the ride, the scenery and the sensations knowing their highly experienced and qualified tandem master is in control of the descent and any circumstances that may occur.

While pressure build-up in the inner ear and sinus cavity is normal, and slight discomfort can occur, pain the next day and immediately after exit is not. It seems you may have unknowingly had an ear infection at the time. If your discomfort continued we suggest you visit a doctor to check it out.

We love what we do and are proud to offer this amazing experience to people from all over the world. We have been rated New Zealand's Best Skydive based on customers' reviews, so we take on board you comments and appreciate your feedback.

We hope you enjoy the remainder of your visit to New Zealand.
Clare and all the team at Skydive Franz
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A must do”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

If you were thinking of doing a skydive you need to do it here!

The guys made us feel really safe, we got great pics and videos and it really was an experience of a lifetime couldn't recommend it more, I loved every second. The views are epic!

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Berrydog
SkydiveFranz, Marketing Manager at Skydive Franz, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Hi!
Thanks for jumping with us and thanks for the review! The jump team here are great aren't they, they really out you at ease if you're nervous about your skydive so you can enjoy it to the fullest. It's so worth having photos and videos of your jump, I'm glad you like yours :)
I hope the rest of your trip was as memorable as your skydive in Franz Josef Glacier.
Thanks,
Clare & the team @ Skydive Franz
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Woohoo!!! Enjoying life at its fullest”
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Franz Josef's glacier is a great place to strap yourself to a beautiful stranger and fall out of a plane. The service was very good and everything was nicely explained. Although the pics and video were pretty expensive it was worth it as a second person jumps at the same time as you just to twirl around you and take pictures. The trip included a short scenic flight with an awesome view on the glacier mt cook and the Tasman sea.

1 Thank Tvolpi
SkydiveFranz, Marketing & Administration Officer at Skydive Franz, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Hi there!
Thanks for the feedback, we love to hear from people who have jumped with us!
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your jump here over the spectacular scenery of the West Coast. It's a pretty special place to jump :) It's so worth getting the photos and video, the guys do an amazing job of getting epic photos and footage for you to take away so you can always look back and re-live the experience and also share it with your friends and family. It's so much fun seeing someone else jumping at the same time as you.
Anyway, thanks again for the great review. I hope the rest of your trip is as awesome as your skydive.
Clare & all the team @ Skydive Franz.